February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

Fyo'Couch

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Fyo'Couch » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:36 pm

ampersand5 wrote:also just to add on the conversations earlier about iq and all that stuff.

TLS is probably the number 1 site on the internet in terms of IQ (I cant think of anything else that would even be remotely close).
However, even though the TLS posters are smarter than the average person, its not like the level of discourse is anything remarkable here. In fact, there are frequently extremely stupid and ignorant posts by people filled with grotesque amount of hubris.

Casually dropping hubris is an indication of hubris.

wakka!

Postby wakka! » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Haha I remember somewhere in like the first 15-20 pages of this thread someone saying that this thread wouldn't reach 50 pages before the LSAT was released.

I think they are going to be proven wrong.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:40 pm

MConchis wrote:
ampersand5 wrote:also just to add on the conversations earlier about iq and all that stuff.

TLS is probably the number 1 site on the internet in terms of IQ (I cant think of anything else that would even be remotely close).
However, even though the TLS posters are smarter than the average person, its not like the level of discourse is anything remarkable here. In fact, there are frequently extremely stupid and ignorant posts by people filled with grotesque amount of hubris.

Excellent logic.

name one...
I didn't say it as fact or anything, but my credence is pretty high.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:41 pm

941law wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:This was at day 33 I believe.

[img].gif[/img]

Ok, maybe it was 32.
The last LSAT before this one was given December 3rd and the score was released on January 5th.
I wouldn't expect a score today, possibly not even this week.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:44 pm

ampersand5 wrote:2012: 19 and counting
2011: 19 days
2010: 21 days
2009: 20 days
2008: 20 days

odds say that we will receive the score tomorrow, but there is a slight chance that we get it later today or on saturday.
the last time I got my score back was a much better time for me. This is going to be hell.

MConchis

Postby MConchis » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm

ampersand5 wrote:
MConchis wrote:

Excellent logic.

name one...

four seconds of googling found this: http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdispl ... 8c47a&f=62

I would guess TLS's average intelligence is no greater than 1 sigma above the mean. My credence is super, super high.

sbaron

Postby sbaron » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Reading this forum just makes me more and more anxious.

To the poster who is doing the Insanity challenge... I completed the challenge while studying for the LSAT.

Was a great way to alleviate stress..

PrincetonBound

Postby PrincetonBound » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
PrincetonBound wrote:when icons go grey, we need a screen shot in here. otherwise I'm going to assume troll.

FYI, a person made a fake screen shot in December and was promptly banned.

Had that happened in June (first time I took it), I'm pretty sure there would have been several hundred people at that person's house with pitchforks and torches.

ampersand5

Postby ampersand5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 pm

MConchis wrote:
ampersand5 wrote:
MConchis wrote:

Excellent logic.

name one...

four seconds of googling found this: http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdispl ... 8c47a&f=62

I would guess TLS's average intelligence is no greater than 1 sigma above the mean. My credence is super, super high.

as someone who frequently participates on PF and studied quantum mechanics in undergrad, I will tell you that you are very far off.

ross1004

Postby ross1004 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:53 pm

I'd say odds are 10% today, 20% tomorrow, 5% Saturday, 65% Monday.

zapcaz

Postby zapcaz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:01 pm

ross1004 wrote:I'd say odds are 10% today, 20% tomorrow, 5% Saturday, 65% Monday.

Im thinking more along the lines of 2% today, 10% tomorrow, 3% Saturday, 85% Monday

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:34 pm

zapcaz wrote:
ross1004 wrote:I'd say odds are 10% today, 20% tomorrow, 5% Saturday, 65% Monday.

Im thinking more along the lines of 2% today, 10% tomorrow, 3% Saturday, 85% Monday

+1

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrincetonBound

Postby PrincetonBound » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
zapcaz wrote:

+1

so you're telling me there is a chance!

This. Whatever we logically think the chances are for each day, we're still all going to jump at every email we get between now and Monday.

Kit Cloudkicker

Postby Kit Cloudkicker » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
zapcaz wrote:

+1

so you're telling me there is a chance!

Lol :D

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Betharl wrote:I just saw these posts, so I am getting us back on the Mensa train (sorry). This will probably be it for me, if not, I guess Finally Going and I can take it to PMs, lol.

I see what FG is saying, but RR, I certainly don’t agree with you. I think most people here understand your resume is not a very important factor in law school admissions, so I doubt they are jealous over whatever slight benefit putting Mensa on your already mostly irrelevant resume might have. It is certainly not my motivation, I am Mensa qualified, and hopefully twice over once I get my Feb score!

Finally Going- You say I am wrong that Mensa is mainly about bragging about a standardized test score, but both Bernaldiaz and I more or less immediately arrived at that conclusion when you mentioned Mensa, and it seems MConchis also holds a negative view. So, ostensibly, this perception is not a rare one.

Not that I need to, but I'd even go so far as to concede that yes, the perception that you and 2 other posters here have about Mensa is not a rare one.....with law school applicants. Listen I don't know how much WE you have, but your idea that interviewers will look upon the listing of one's Mensa membership on a resume unfavorably simply doesn't jive with reality. First of all, with time you will (presumably) mature and hone your skills of empathy (especially if you're looking to go into litigation). When this happens you will realize that a person who self-selects to put their Mensa membership on their application is highly unlikely to be doing so for douchebaggery purposes insofar as if they themselves considered the move to be douchebaggy they would have not opted to do it for the same reasons you have repeatedly espoused.

But that still glosses over the main point here which your contention that "Mensa is mainly about bragging about a standardized test score..." Your position is still inherently false. Your argument has shifted to one now of "well it doesn't matter that I am wrong because a lot pf people are wrong with me." O.K. I see your point; however I find it troubling that in the face of the truth you are still holding tightly onto your false perceptions. That is just strange.

Betharl wrote: So let me ask you, what matters when someone is reading your resume, their perception or reality? Are you willing to risk that the person reviewing your resume will make the same “mistake” I made (I’m still not ready to concede that Mensa is not mainly about bragging, even if I am letting that go for now).

As I have said before, I would put it on my resume in the appropriate section, which for me happens to be "Clubs and Organizations." With all due respect I have never found interviewers in any industry to be the type that would allow, either positively or negatively, membership in an innocuous organization to play a significant role in their evaluation.

I sort of imagine you as an interviewer looking over someone that lists Mensa on their application, circling "Mensa" with a red marker during the interview, pushing the resume back across the table and asking "What the fuck is this all about chief???" lol

Betharl wrote:As to the 3 points you listed.

1. -I think if they know about Mensa, they will know about the requirements and have the same negative view I have of Mensa, or just not care. Reasons for not caring would include not placing much emphasis on standardized tests scores or realizing everyone they are interviewing is most likely Mensa qualified regardless of whether they put it on their resume (I suspect most people, although admittedly not all, interviewing for Big Law or other prestigious legal employment meet Mensa qualifications). In either case, it does not help you and could only hurt.

I don't see any reason to think that just because they know of Mensa, they are versed in Mensa's eligibility requirements, especially
as they pertain to non IQ tests. Nor do I believe they would have "the same negative view [you] have." Dude, where do you get this shit from? Contention (no warrant) Contention (no warrant) Contention (no warrant) (not even a dab of clear reasoning).

Oh, and not everyone who goes to law school is going to be interviewing for BigLaw...regardless if that is their decision or not...here we are in this contracted market and you want to start penalizing people for differentiating themselves. I am seriously beginning to wonder if you've ever held a meaningful job, and I do mean that with the highest amount of respect possible.

Imagine a candidate...introvert, MIT grad, goes to BC concentrates in tax law...and.. *gasp* he lists his Mensa and Chess Club memberships on his resume....autoding?!?!? lol I am just going to stop here dude....I think it's pretty clear that an interviewer, or a team of interviewers would be able to pick up on douchebaggery in a whole host of other ways, rendering this criterion of mensa membership irrelevant for that purpose. I just don't exactly imagine conversations like "Hey Bill, why didn't we hire that kid?" "Well Jim, that little bastard was a member of...MENSA!" "Oh wow Bill, close call....close call."

;)

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:23 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:
Betharl wrote:I just saw these posts, so I am getting us back on the Mensa train (sorry). This will probably be it for me, if not, I guess Finally Going and I can take it to PMs, lol.

I see what FG is saying, but RR, I certainly don’t agree with you. I think most people here understand your resume is not a very important factor in law school admissions, so I doubt they are jealous over whatever slight benefit putting Mensa on your already mostly irrelevant resume might have. It is certainly not my motivation, I am Mensa qualified, and hopefully twice over once I get my Feb score!

Finally Going- You say I am wrong that Mensa is mainly about bragging about a standardized test score, but both Bernaldiaz and I more or less immediately arrived at that conclusion when you mentioned Mensa, and it seems MConchis also holds a negative view. So, ostensibly, this perception is not a rare one.

Not that I need to, but I'd even go so far as to concede that yes, the perception that you and 2 other posters here have about Mensa is not a rare one.....with law school applicants. Listen I don't know how much WE you have, but your idea that interviewers will look upon the listing of one's Mensa membership on a resume unfavorably simply doesn't jive with reality. First of all, with time you will (presumably) mature and hone your skills of empathy (especially if you're looking to go into litigation). When this happens you will realize that a person who self-selects to put their Mensa membership on their application is highly unlikely to be doing so for douchebaggery purposes insofar as if they themselves considered the move to be douchebaggy they would have not opted to do it for the same reasons you have repeatedly espoused.

But that still glosses over the main point here which your contention that "Mensa is mainly about bragging about a standardized test score..." Your position is still inherently false. Your argument has shifted to one now of "well it doesn't matter that I am wrong because a lot pf people are wrong with me." O.K. I see your point; however I find it troubling that in the face of the truth you are still holding tightly onto your false perceptions. That is just strange.

Betharl wrote: So let me ask you, what matters when someone is reading your resume, their perception or reality? Are you willing to risk that the person reviewing your resume will make the same “mistake” I made (I’m still not ready to concede that Mensa is not mainly about bragging, even if I am letting that go for now).

As I have said before, I would put it on my resume in the appropriate section, which for me happens to be "Clubs and Organizations." With all due respect I have never found interviewers in any industry to be the type that would allow, either positively or negatively, membership in an innocuous organization to play a significant role in their evaluation.

I sort of imagine you as an interviewer looking over someone that lists Mensa on their application, circling "Mensa" with a red marker during the interview, pushing the resume back across the table and asking "What the fuck is this all about chief???" lol

Betharl wrote:As to the 3 points you listed.

1. -I think if they know about Mensa, they will know about the requirements and have the same negative view I have of Mensa, or just not care. Reasons for not caring would include not placing much emphasis on standardized tests scores or realizing everyone they are interviewing is most likely Mensa qualified regardless of whether they put it on their resume (I suspect most people, although admittedly not all, interviewing for Big Law or other prestigious legal employment meet Mensa qualifications). In either case, it does not help you and could only hurt.

I don't see any reason to think that just because they know of Mensa, they are versed in Mensa's eligibility requirements, especially
as they pertain to non IQ tests. Nor do I believe they would have "the same negative view [you] have." Dude, where do you get this shit from? Contention (no warrant) Contention (no warrant) Contention (no warrant) (not even a dab of clear reasoning).

Oh, and not everyone who goes to law school is going to be interviewing for BigLaw...regardless if that is their decision or not...here we are in this contracted market and you want to start penalizing people for differentiating themselves. I am seriously beginning to wonder if you've ever held a meaningful job, and I do mean that with the highest amount of respect possible.

Imagine a candidate...introvert, MIT grad, goes to BC concentrates in tax law...and.. *gasp* he lists his Mensa and Chess Club memberships on his resume....autoding?!?!? lol I am just going to stop here dude....I think it's pretty clear that an interviewer, or a team of interviewers would be able to pick up on douchebaggery in a whole host of other ways, rendering this criterion of mensa membership irrelevant for that purpose. I just don't exactly imagine conversations like "Hey Bill, why didn't we hire that kid?" "Well Jim, that little bastard was a member of...MENSA!" "Oh wow Bill, close call....close call."

;)

why is this still being discussed?

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Can you nerds stop debating MENSA please?

Nobody cares.

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Last edited by FinallyGoing on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maru

Postby maru » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:27 pm

sbaron wrote:Reading this forum just makes me more and more anxious.

To the poster who is doing the Insanity challenge... I completed the challenge while studying for the LSAT.

Was a great way to alleviate stress..

This.

And, yes, it's a good way of taking my mind off my score, at least for an hour or so. How were your results? :)
Last edited by maru on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:27 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Can you nerds stop debating MENSA please?

Nobody cares.

Right? It must be so painful for you to scroll past our posts! I can't even imagine what that must be like. Its probably like going to the supermarket and not putting every item in your basket...oh wait.

If you're not interested in the conversation...don't read it. ;)

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Nobody cares.

Skunky Bumps

Postby Skunky Bumps » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:46 pm

FinallyGoing wrote:

Nobody cares.

Right? It must be so painful for you to scroll past our posts! I can't even imagine what that must be like. Its probably like going to the supermarket and not putting every item in your basket...oh wait.

If you're not interested in the conversation...don't read it. ;)

Well if that's the way we're operating here...

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:52 pm

all this Mensa BS.....

--ImageRemoved--

Edit: last one maybe too explicit.
Last edited by anteater1 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”