February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!)

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
42
24%
161-162
11
6%
163-164
18
10%
165-166
15
9%
167-168
16
9%
169-170
10
6%
171-172
22
13%
173-174
14
8%
175-176
6
3%
177+
19
11%
 
Total votes: 173

User avatar
maru
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby maru » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:33 am

What have you guys been doing while waiting for your scores? I felt like I needed to tackle a new challenge, so I started Beachbody's Insanity program. :lol:

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:33 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RodionRaskolnikov
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:35 am

FinallyGoing wrote:
Betharl wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:Hmm...trick question because I don't think it is douchey at all ;)


Eh... I agree with Bernaldiaz. I think putting Mensa on your resume is more likely to do harm than good. It is different than honors societies, many of which you do not even apply to but are just accepted/granted admission for xyz academic accomplishment. College recruiters also expect to see that kind of stuff on your resume.

Having Mensa on your resume shows me you sought out and paid to join an organization that exists solely to recognize and celebrate the accomplishment of having scored well on some random standardized test (I think Mensa's website said there were 200 qualifying tests). How can you not see that this is somewhat douchey, particularly if it is already fairly obvious you would be qualified to be a member due to your academic background.

I really doubt it would be an auto-ding, but I don't see how it would help you. If your interviewer actually cares about standardized tests scores (and some of my interviewers out of UG actually did), it is usually stated in the job posting, in which case just put your score on your resume. I could also see it as being awkward if your interviewer did not know what Mensa was and asked you about it, and then, like me, didn't really get why you'd bother to join an organization like that.

PS: Not trying to call you out personally or say you're a douche or pretentious for considering putting Mensa on your resume. Just voicing my opinion that I think it is a bad idea.


I think this warrants a meaningful discussion.

You describe Mensa as "an organization that exists solely to recognize and celebrate the accomplishment of having scored well on some random standardized test."

This is patently false. I don't doubt that its your perception of Mensa; however your perception is simply not reflective of reality in this case.

Mensa is engaged in various philanthropic endeavors such as multiple scholarship programs, k-12 outreach (I was in GATE throughout grade school and my class had 2 "Mensa Mentors" who visited with the class once a week, providing free tutoring and coaching), the publication of several journals and support for local chapters. Local chapters themselves engage in various activities that benefit not only their members but the community as a whole.

So now that we've cleared that up there are still numerous problems with your contentions..

1. Why do you believe interviewers are aware of Mensa membership requirements?
2. You don't "get" why someone would join Mensa because you have an absurd perception as to what it actually is.
3. AFAIK most reputable honor societies do require an application process that more often than not entails paying some sort of fee.

It seems to me that the bulk of the disdain for Mensa stems from a mis-perception of what it and its members actually do. To be sure, there are of course people who join strictly for the card and what they believe to be bragging rights; however I don't know why that image has proliferated and I remain confused as to why a person would ever go beyond simply OVERLOOKING something like Mensa to the point of considering an applicant in a bad light because of it.

Who knows, maybe there is a strong correlation between gunners and Mensa members ;)


THIS! And I think SOME people here are against others who want to join Mensa because we are all going to apply to law school in or about the same cycle and it would be bad for them if we joined Mensa, put it on our resume, but they didn't because their scores weren't high enough.

Saying don't join Mensa and putting it on your resume is tacky/douchy is like saying joining Phi Beta Kappa and putting it on your resume/app is tacky/douchy.

User avatar
RodionRaskolnikov
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 am

Jsa725 wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
XxMVPxX wrote:
mehereuthere101787 wrote:The person before him posted a cartoon that was essentially for affirmative action. This one is against it.


Image


I think I posted both, the one where applicants were lined up and the one with two people climbing the mountain or whatever. Both were FOR affirmitive action. The first defended affirmitive action against a misconception that minorities are the only ones displacing well qualified applicants and the second showed how some (illogical) people already start at the top of the mountain but complain about a little boost that was given to those who started way down at the bottom.


Rodion:A troll is a troll either way you look at it, take your AA stuff to the lounge, this isn't the thread for it.


No thank you. Someone put an offensive "Lawd" picture in here and so I had to respond. Mine were far less offensive. FYI, I'm not black.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:43 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FinallyGoing
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:49 am

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
No thank you. Someone put an offensive "Lawd" picture in here and so I had to respond. Mine were far less offensive. FYI, I'm not black.


Although I appreciate your support on the Mensa issue...your AA pictures were highly irrelevant with regards to law school admissions. On that basis alone they were inappropriate. Add that to the fact that there are pretty clear rules about posting AA stuff in certain forums here and you really shouldn't be that surprised as to the backlash.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MConchis
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby MConchis » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:53 am

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:
Betharl wrote:
FinallyGoing wrote:Hmm...trick question because I don't think it is douchey at all ;)


Eh... I agree with Bernaldiaz. I think putting Mensa on your resume is more likely to do harm than good. It is different than honors societies, many of which you do not even apply to but are just accepted/granted admission for xyz academic accomplishment. College recruiters also expect to see that kind of stuff on your resume.

Having Mensa on your resume shows me you sought out and paid to join an organization that exists solely to recognize and celebrate the accomplishment of having scored well on some random standardized test (I think Mensa's website said there were 200 qualifying tests). How can you not see that this is somewhat douchey, particularly if it is already fairly obvious you would be qualified to be a member due to your academic background.

I really doubt it would be an auto-ding, but I don't see how it would help you. If your interviewer actually cares about standardized tests scores (and some of my interviewers out of UG actually did), it is usually stated in the job posting, in which case just put your score on your resume. I could also see it as being awkward if your interviewer did not know what Mensa was and asked you about it, and then, like me, didn't really get why you'd bother to join an organization like that.

PS: Not trying to call you out personally or say you're a douche or pretentious for considering putting Mensa on your resume. Just voicing my opinion that I think it is a bad idea.


I think this warrants a meaningful discussion.

You describe Mensa as "an organization that exists solely to recognize and celebrate the accomplishment of having scored well on some random standardized test."

This is patently false. I don't doubt that its your perception of Mensa; however your perception is simply not reflective of reality in this case.

Mensa is engaged in various philanthropic endeavors such as multiple scholarship programs, k-12 outreach (I was in GATE throughout grade school and my class had 2 "Mensa Mentors" who visited with the class once a week, providing free tutoring and coaching), the publication of several journals and support for local chapters. Local chapters themselves engage in various activities that benefit not only their members but the community as a whole.

So now that we've cleared that up there are still numerous problems with your contentions..

1. Why do you believe interviewers are aware of Mensa membership requirements?
2. You don't "get" why someone would join Mensa because you have an absurd perception as to what it actually is.
3. AFAIK most reputable honor societies do require an application process that more often than not entails paying some sort of fee.

It seems to me that the bulk of the disdain for Mensa stems from a mis-perception of what it and its members actually do. To be sure, there are of course people who join strictly for the card and what they believe to be bragging rights; however I don't know why that image has proliferated and I remain confused as to why a person would ever go beyond simply OVERLOOKING something like Mensa to the point of considering an applicant in a bad light because of it.

Who knows, maybe there is a strong correlation between gunners and Mensa members ;)


THIS! And I think SOME people here are against others who want to join Mensa because we are all going to apply to law school in or about the same cycle and it would be bad for them if we joined Mensa, put it on our resume, but they didn't because their scores weren't high enough.

Saying don't join Mensa and putting it on your resume is tacky/douchy is like saying joining Phi Beta Kappa and putting it on your resume/app is tacky/douchy.


Let's try to dig a bit deeper into this. Displaying phi beta kappa on your resume and displaying Mensa membership on your resume are different not because one is a better signal for high-IQ, but because of the perceived status of each. Namely, phi beta kappa is more socially valuable to associate with.

Society would be much more efficient if this weren't the case. Instead of spending tens- and hundreds of thousands of dollars on high-status cars, upper-middle and upper-class folks could simply display their networth in bold letters on the back of their more economical, but equally functionable, Volkswagen. And we could just list our raw IQs on our resume along with all the valuable connections our father has.

But alas, this isn't the case. We must keep track of mostly arbitrary norms and mores, and spend value time deciding which are most important to keep and which to break. Can I wear the same shirt to work three days in a row? Will I maximize social utility if I cat-call at my elderly neighbors? Should I post affirmative action political cartoons in internet forums? These are questions we must ask ourselves everyday.

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby anteater1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:59 am

Less MENSA garbage more pic-whoring

Image

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:01 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FinallyGoing
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:01 am

MConchis wrote:
Namely, phi beta kappa is more socially valuable to associate with.

Society would be much more efficient if this weren't the case. Instead of spending tens- and hundreds of thousands of dollars on high-status cars, upper-middle and upper-class folks could simply display their networth in bold letters on the back of their more economical, but equally functionable, Volkswagen.




Why not list both?

Oh, and have you ever driven say a CLK 63? or an M5? How about a 7 series? Not all luxury car purchases are driven by their apparent semiotic value.

User avatar
MConchis
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby MConchis » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:04 am

FinallyGoing wrote:
MConchis wrote:
Namely, phi beta kappa is more socially valuable to associate with.

Society would be much more efficient if this weren't the case. Instead of spending tens- and hundreds of thousands of dollars on high-status cars, upper-middle and upper-class folks could simply display their networth in bold letters on the back of their more economical, but equally functionable, Volkswagen.




Why not list both?

Oh, and have you ever driven say a CLK 63? or an M5? How about a 7 series? Not all luxury car purchases are driven by their apparent semiotic value.


true, true. I was thinking more along the lines of Singaporeans spending $1 mil USD on Lamborghinis. Some consumption is more conspicuous than others.

User avatar
RodionRaskolnikov
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:08 am


THIS! And I think SOME people here are against others who want to join Mensa because we are all going to apply to law school in or about the same cycle and it would be bad for them if we joined Mensa, put it on our resume, but they didn't because their scores weren't high enough.

Saying don't join Mensa and putting it on your resume is tacky/douchy is like saying joining Phi Beta Kappa and putting it on your resume/app is tacky/douchy.



Let's try to dig a bit deeper into this. Displaying phi beta kappa on your resume and displaying Mensa membership on your resume are different not because one is a better signal for high-IQ, but because of the perceived status of each. Namely, phi beta kappa is more socially valuable to associate with.

Society would be much more efficient if this weren't the case. Instead of spending tens- and hundreds of thousands of dollars on high-status cars, upper-middle and upper-class folks could simply display their networth in bold letters on the back of their more economical, but equally functionable, Volkswagen. And we could just list our raw IQs on our resume along with all the valuable connections our father has.

But alas, this isn't the case. We must keep track of mostly arbitrary norms and mores, and spend value time deciding which are most important to keep and which to break. Can I wear the same shirt to work three days in a row? Will I maximize social utility if I cat-call at my elderly neighbors? Should I post affirmative action political cartoons in internet forums? These are questions we must ask ourselves everyday.


And your point is.... that the perceived status difference of Mensa, as compared to PBK, renders it douchy/tacky for a resume? We are applying to top law schools, not a nation-wide popularity contest. So law schools would like to see that you are above the rest. And even if it were a nation-wide popularity contest, PBK would seem just as douchy as Mensa.

Consider,

"Hi, I'm John. Yea... I'm in PBK. What's PBK? Oh it's the most prestigious honors society in the country. I got in because of my great scores and involvement!"

and

"Hi, I'm John. Yea... I'm in Mensa. What's Mensa? Oh it's for people with an IQ in the top [enter percentage here]!"

Which one is more douchy? I say the same, even though my gut feeling is PBK, and yet PBK is ok to put on your resume.

Countering a possible objection:

No, PBK is not well known in the normal world just as Mensa might not be known in the normal world (outside academics). So you would have to explain yourself for PBK too and it would sound just as douchy.

Moreover, people join PBK just for the name ALL THE TIME just as people join Mensa for the same reason. Thus, if you want to argue that joining an organization just for its name rather than for involvement renders it douchy/useless on a resume, you must conclude the same for both Mensa and PBK. I'm assuming you won't wanna conclude that for PBK.

User avatar
RodionRaskolnikov
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:10 am

anteater1 wrote:Less MENSA garbage more pic-whoring

Image


How is this relevant any more than my AA pics?

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:11 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RodionRaskolnikov
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:16 am

Jsa725 wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
anteater1 wrote:Less MENSA garbage more pic-whoring

Image


How is this relevant any more than my AA pics?


This pic is funny and AA pics cause people to debate. Relevance isn't the issue, trolling is the issue and that's what you did when you posted AA pics.


So trolling is only applicable to people who post pics that incite a debate? Hmm..

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby moonman157 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:16 am

maru wrote:What have you guys been doing while waiting for your scores? I felt like I needed to tackle a new challenge, so I started Beachbody's Insanity program. :lol:


Getting back to the school work that I neglected when studying for the LSAT :|

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:18 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby moonman157 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 am

RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
anteater1 wrote:Less MENSA garbage more pic-whoring

Image


How is this relevant any more than my AA pics?


You're fine to post pictures, but most people post pictures that are at least somehow related to the topic at hand. People had been discussing when scores would be released, and you came out of nowhere and posted about Affirmative Action. That's going to seem like trolling to a lot of people

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:21 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 am

Jsa725 wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
So trolling is only applicable to people who post pics that incite a debate? Hmm..


no, trolling is basically annoying everyone on the thread... Debate is not required.


I wasn't so much annoyed as I was just trying to help you out. Random pictures ain't bad, just random pictures about AA can get you in trouble because typically any discussion about AA leads to racist rants.

I actually found the cartoons interesting, just this isn't the place for them (even we don't agree with that, that's just the way the rules of this site have developed.

OK! No hard feelings and let's move on and not yell at each other!
Last edited by bernaldiaz on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RodionRaskolnikov
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 am

moonman157 wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
anteater1 wrote:Less MENSA garbage more pic-whoring

Image


How is this relevant any more than my AA pics?


You're fine to post pictures, but most people post pictures that are at least somehow related to the topic at hand. People had been discussing when scores would be released, and you came out of nowhere and posted about Affirmative Action. That's going to seem like trolling to a lot of people


Are you assuming that only pictures are tools through which trolling is done? If I can troll with words, too, and if posting something off topic is trolling, then how would a topic ever change?

If I posted a pic of rainbows and butteflies, would you have made the same trolling comment? I didn't think so. But, when it's about AA or anything that makes you squirm, you're quick to bash it under the carpet.

I'm not saying that this is the right place to talk about AA. All I'm saying is that, if my pics were trolling, then every pic that does not have something to do with the FEBRUARY 2012 LSAT, which is the topic of this thread, is trolling, meaning that the cat picture and almost all the other ones, even general, non-February Lsat pics were forms of trolling.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Circle Guy
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Postby Circle Guy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:24 am

are we there yet?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw and 6 guests