February 2012 Waiting Thread (NEW POLL!!!1!) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

How do you think you scored?

Below a 160
24%
161-162
6%
163-164
10%
165-166
9%
167-168
9%
169-170
6%
171-172
13%
173-174
8%
175-176
3%
177+
11%

Total votes: 173

buck

New

Re: February 2012 Waiting Thread

Post by buck » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:22 pm

kerflux wrote:Is that a guess, or do you think that particular portion was that important? I am planning on going next year, so I was hoping on just using this to get off any waitlists I'm put on... though if I really bombed it that badly I suppose I may try it in June
It is just a guess. I also forgot a rule in this game so I did it twice and also used my extra time to triple check this game. I remember that 3 questions--the global accounting, and the two middle questions on the right had column had many answers that could work if it weren't for the restriction you missed. Also, forgetting this rule opens up two possibile mistakes--1) that variable could be placed in another apartment or 2) H could be placed in that apartment. Based on this I'm just guessing that at least one other question is affected.

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Post by FinallyGoing » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:54 pm

maxmartin wrote: Just FYI, most people probably already knew, the average LSAT score of Feb is the lowest in a given year
Source?>

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Hmm. At least it doesn't guarantee that my answers are wrong, just makes them less likely to be right. I could have possibly gotten lucky with a few of them, and I was hoping that if some of the questions were with regard to the relation between variables as opposed to their specific placement that this missed premise wouldn't matter, at least for those questions. Were there 5 or 6 q's on that game?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:06 pm

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/Resea ... -98-04.asp
FinallyGoing wrote:
maxmartin wrote: Just FYI, most people probably already knew, the average LSAT score of Feb is the lowest in a given year
Source?>

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Post by FinallyGoing » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:08 pm

maxmartin wrote:http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/Resea ... -98-04.asp
FinallyGoing wrote:
Source?>
You do realize the last data point used for that paper was 14 years ago right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 pm

there are more recent data from past a few years, just a few clicks away
FinallyGoing wrote:
maxmartin wrote:http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/Resea ... -98-04.asp
FinallyGoing wrote:
Source?>
You do realize the last data point used for that paper was 14 years ago right?

FinallyGoing

Bronze

Post by FinallyGoing » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Thnx!

EDIT: I wish I was better at this stuff...enough to understand how exactly the mean for Feb is affected by the disproportionately high number of takers who score < 140.

anteater1

Silver

Post by anteater1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
anteater1 wrote:RodionRaskolnikov posting about questions may result in a ban but if you PM I can provide a description and the correct answer.
Haha you can't PM either. Read the post on what we can and can't say, we just can't talk about answers. It's alright to talk about the generalities of a question.
Ah, ok. Sorry to those who've PM'd me, I guess I can't provide the CR :|

Morpheus69

New

Post by Morpheus69 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:50 pm

[quote="BuckinghamB
That's what student loans are for, bro :lol:[/quote]
You all are assuming she will be approved for student loans. A) they are never guaranteed. B) she may have missed the deadline to apply for a student loan, who knows. C) You can't automatically assume this is even an option for her. I don't wanna break any rules by getting too specific, but from what I remember, the only thing we do know is that she would NOT be able to cover personal expenses.
I know a poster said that the internship under a prominant prof would be a good discussion topic, and another poster said that working whille in school will reflect greatly for her. But you can't forget that none of it will matter if you can't afford to go to school in the first place. If she takes the internship but can't go to school, then what is she to do? Her first priority should be to secure enough funds to go to school, then worry about the rest. I find it hard to believe that once she's there and performs well enough to stand out from her peers (and this is key no matter if she had the internship or not) that some of her proffesors can't get her a highly regarded internship. Or, some of the proffesors will probably still be in contact with or can get in contact with that departed proffesor.
And if she were smart, ambitious, and passionate about her career goals, she would go to this prominant prof. and explain her situation to him. Who knows, he may take a keen interest in her and help by opening doors we haven't even considered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Haha debating the answer to the essay is so dumb. I did it in like 10 minutes then played word games with myself because I had just watched dimitri Martin's If I haha

barrotmartin

Bronze

Post by barrotmartin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Haha def more dumb than guessing the curve for feb. :wink:
team internship ftw.
bernaldiaz wrote:Haha debating the answer to the essay is so dumb. I did it in like 10 minutes then played word games with myself because I had just watched dimitri Martin's If I haha

Morpheus69

New

Post by Morpheus69 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:17 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Haha debating the answer to the essay is so dumb. I did it in like 10 minutes then played word games with myself because I had just watched dimitri Martin's If I haha
:lol: Too true. I'm just trying to prove my point that based on the info we were given, and with this being a LOGIC exam, one can't make assumptions like she would be financially okay with getting a student loan. If you make that assumption then whats wrong with making the assumption that she has already been approved for the loan and has factored that into her situation? I'm not saying, but I'm just saying....

And yes, I too was done with the essay rather too quickly. As I said earlier, I only used the front page (about half a page) to write the entire thing. I was still too thunderstruck over what just happened. I used the rest of the time to add up the problems I had either guessed on or was not 100% confident on. Turned out to be around 40.
BYW, when people are posting things like "-14" and such, do they mean they think they only missed 14, or do they think the curve is 14? I'm a little confused and have been trying to figure out how the curve would work on the lsat. I know how it works in a regular class grading system, but trying to figure out the lsat curve is giving me a really bad flashback to graduate mathematical statistics (thank the stars no one has mentioned the term "logarithm").

RodionRaskolnikov

Bronze

Post by RodionRaskolnikov » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Morpheus69 wrote:
:lol: Too true. I'm just trying to prove my point that based on the info we were given, and with this being a LOGIC exam, one can't make assumptions like she would be financially okay with getting a student loan. If you make that assumption then whats wrong with making the assumption that she has already been approved for the loan and has factored that into her situation? I'm not saying, but I'm just saying....

And yes, I too was done with the essay rather too quickly. As I said earlier, I only used the front page (about half a page) to write the entire thing. I was still too thunderstruck over what just happened. I used the rest of the time to add up the problems I had either guessed on or was not 100% confident on. Turned out to be around 40.
BYW, when people are posting things like "-14" and such, do they mean they think they only missed 14, or do they think the curve is 14? I'm a little confused and have been trying to figure out how the curve would work on the lsat. I know how it works in a regular class grading system, but trying to figure out the lsat curve is giving me a really bad flashback to graduate mathematical statistics (thank the stars no one has mentioned the term "logarithm").
It's not really a curve since it doesn't take in our correct answer counts when it creates the conversion chart. It's just a predetermined conversion chart used to convert the amount of answers you got right to an LSAT score. Back in the day, all of the sections we were given during our LSAT were experimental sections for some people. LSAC then takes into consideration how those people in the past did on the experimental sections (now our LSAT) to creat a conversion chart. If those people did poorly, then the test is "difficult" and the chart allows you to miss more questions than average and still get a 170. If the people back then aced the sections, then the test is "easy" and the chart only allows you, let's say, 8 or 9 questions wrong to still receive a 170. When people talk about the curve, they usually refer to the amount of questions you can get wrong to still get a 170. So a -14 would mean you can get 14 wrong and still get a 170, and it would imply that either the test was difficult or the people who had it as experimental before were unusually stupid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

agcl0913

New

Post by agcl0913 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:46 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote: it would imply that either the test was difficult or the people who had it as experimental before were unusually stupid.
lol

Morpheus69

New

Post by Morpheus69 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:58 pm

RodionRaskolnikov wrote: It's not really a curve since it doesn't take in our correct answer counts when it creates the conversion chart. It's just a predetermined conversion chart used to convert the amount of answers you got right to an LSAT score. Back in the day, all of the sections we were given during our LSAT were experimental sections for some people. LSAC then takes into consideration how those people in the past did on the experimental sections (now our LSAT) to creat a conversion chart. If those people did poorly, then the test is "difficult" and the chart allows you to miss more questions than average and still get a 170. If the people back then aced the sections, then the test is "easy" and the chart only allows you, let's say, 8 or 9 questions wrong to still receive a 170. When people talk about the curve, they usually refer to the amount of questions you can get wrong to still get a 170. So a -14 would mean you can get 14 wrong and still get a 170, and it would imply that either the test was difficult or the people who had it as experimental before were unusually stupid.
Gotcha. It's more of a range to stay within. I don't like it, but I get it. I still think they should give something like 5 minutes more so you have closer to at least 2 minutes per problem. Or, allow the test to be taken at different times throughout the day instead of all being at 8am. The closest place from where I live takes an hour on average to get to with the morning traffic. If I were to take it anytime after 1PM I would've done a lot better. I've been talked off the ledge and have decided to stick it out and not cancel. I'm sure that as irritating as it is/will be to wait for the scores to be released, it would be unbareable to cancel them and never know how I did. I think I've also got a few things going for me that will make my overall chances better than I initially thought. My softs I'm told will help balance out my gpa and lsat numbers.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:04 pm

barrotmartin wrote:Haha def more dumb than guessing the curve for feb. :wink:
team internship ftw.
It's not really that dumb to guess the curve. It's a short hand way of discussing how difficult we think the test was. Plus, even if we will never know the curve it actually does exist and will affect us, unlike the essay haha.

Kit Cloudkicker

New

Post by Kit Cloudkicker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Longtime lurker, first time poster. (Well… almost. I posted once in December prep thread but I had to cancel December registration due to illness)

Anyways, I had two logic game sections and if I remember correctly they were back to back. Or it was possibly LG-LR-LG. Either way, I know for a fact that both LG sections were before the break. For this reason I am finding it very difficult to remember the one game that I had trouble on, because all 8 games are kind of blurred together in my mind. I remember that I did really well on 7 of the 8 games (-0 to -2 total) but there was one game that really stumped me and I ended up making educated guesses on 3+ questions. I’ve read through the thread and I’ve seen the consensus on which games were “real” and I don’t believe I messed up on any of those four. However, because I can’t remember at least two of the experimental games I can’t be certain if the one I messed up on was real or not, because again… it’s all a blur. So basically I’m asking if anyone remembers any other exp games besides the ones listed below. I’m hoping that if I see a description or main feature of a game it will ring a bell and I’ll remember that it was the difficult one.

Real:
Sequencing H M J L K F (I believe I did well on this one, maybe -1)

Apartments and Pets (Contrary to what I’ve read on the thread, I didn’t find this one very difficult)

Long commercial, Short commercial (If I remember correctly… Maybe -1)

Wed Morning, Friday Morning, Friday Afternoon (I think this was the easiest one)

Exp:
Birds & Auditoriums (I had this game)
Movies – Start times (I had this game)
Colored Balls?? (I didn’t have this game)

----Two more games that I can’t remember.

I don’t want to spend the next few weeks stressing over whether I messed up LG or not. I’m pretty sure that the one I messed up on was exp, but part of me thinks that it could have been the pure sequencing game. Any help is greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RodionRaskolnikov

Bronze

Post by RodionRaskolnikov » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Morpheus69 wrote:
RodionRaskolnikov wrote: It's not really a curve since it doesn't take in our correct answer counts when it creates the conversion chart. It's just a predetermined conversion chart used to convert the amount of answers you got right to an LSAT score. Back in the day, all of the sections we were given during our LSAT were experimental sections for some people. LSAC then takes into consideration how those people in the past did on the experimental sections (now our LSAT) to creat a conversion chart. If those people did poorly, then the test is "difficult" and the chart allows you to miss more questions than average and still get a 170. If the people back then aced the sections, then the test is "easy" and the chart only allows you, let's say, 8 or 9 questions wrong to still receive a 170. When people talk about the curve, they usually refer to the amount of questions you can get wrong to still get a 170. So a -14 would mean you can get 14 wrong and still get a 170, and it would imply that either the test was difficult or the people who had it as experimental before were unusually stupid.
Gotcha. It's more of a range to stay within. I don't like it, but I get it. I still think they should give something like 5 minutes more so you have closer to at least 2 minutes per problem. Or, allow the test to be taken at different times throughout the day instead of all being at 8am. The closest place from where I live takes an hour on average to get to with the morning traffic. If I were to take it anytime after 1PM I would've done a lot better. I've been talked off the ledge and have decided to stick it out and not cancel. I'm sure that as irritating as it is/will be to wait for the scores to be released, it would be unbareable to cancel them and never know how I did. I think I've also got a few things going for me that will make my overall chances better than I initially thought. My softs I'm told will help balance out my gpa and lsat numbers.
There is an LSAT they give in the afternoon. It's on Monday I think but I'm not sure which date it's given on. You might want to look into taking that one and maybe it'll be better for you. Man, that sucks that you have to drive an hour to get to the center though. I dunno if you can change that. Good luck and let's hope for a -14 curve on this one!!

beebela

New

Post by beebela » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:21 pm

^^ June is the afternoon administration.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:02 am

It is almost impossible for curve to be 14 for this one, since we only have 100 questions total, we will be lucky if the curve is 13.
RodionRaskolnikov wrote:
Morpheus69 wrote:
There is an LSAT they give in the afternoon. It's on Monday I think but I'm not sure which date it's given on. You might want to look into taking that one and maybe it'll be better for you. Man, that sucks that you have to drive an hour to get to the center though. I dunno if you can change that. Good luck and let's hope for a -14 curve on this one!!

hooma

Bronze

Post by hooma » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:34 am

I can't believe it's been less than a week. Feels like forever already.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:09 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed May 29, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bgibbs

New

Post by Bgibbs » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:36 am

I'm a member of team restaurant.

On a side note, I really can't take this waiting. It's driving me insane.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Okay. It's almost been a week. Where's our scores? ;)

CalamityJen

New

Post by CalamityJen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:16 am

Kit Cloudkicker wrote: ...basically I’m asking if anyone remembers any other exp games besides the ones listed below. I’m hoping that if I see a description or main feature of a game it will ring a bell and I’ll remember that it was the difficult one.

Real:
Sequencing H M J L K F (I believe I did well on this one, maybe -1)

Apartments and Pets (Contrary to what I’ve read on the thread, I didn’t find this one very difficult)

Long commercial, Short commercial (If I remember correctly… Maybe -1)

Wed Morning, Friday Morning, Friday Afternoon (I think this was the easiest one)

Exp:
Birds & Auditoriums (I had this game)
Movies – Start times (I had this game)
Colored Balls?? (I didn’t have this game)

----Two more games that I can’t remember.
I had two LG sections, and I am 100% positive that I had a game about layover/nonstop flights and another about reserved seating for sporting events, but I don't recall having any games about birds, movies, or colored balls.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”