To study a bit on Friday or not to study? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
notaznguy

Bronze

To study a bit on Friday or not to study?

Post by notaznguy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:55 am

Okay, I am taking the LSAT this Saturday.

The thing is, I haven't studied for a whole week, and the few weeks before that, I was on cool down mode studying only 35 minutes a day by doing a section a day.

I haven't studied at all the past whole week because I've had midterms. I had a midterm on Wednesday afternoon and have another one Thursday afternoon. Should I review early Friday morning/early afternoon just some basic games, LR, and maybe 1 RC passage? Or just say "screw it" and go into the test cold.

I've been studying since the summer and mainly "studied" from the months of June to September. It kinda died down from October to November, picked up from December to early January, and died down as January came along.

Personally, I'm feeling so "whatevers" about the test right now and just can't wait to get it over with.

My PTs ranged from 155-164, but usually averaged 161.

Also, important question, I've never practiced a real essay section before. Should I at least go over and write a outline on a real essay question just to be a bit familiar? I know the essay section doesn't count, but still.

EDIT**: I wanted to add, what should I do the rest of the day? I have a geography midterm I need to study for on Monday. I was planning to cram for that after I take my LSAT. Should I just go on with my day and study for geography on Friday? Pretend everything is normal?

hurricane12345

New

Re: To study a bit on Friday or not to study?

Post by hurricane12345 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:26 am

I don't think a little bit of review on Friday would hurt, especially since you've had a break from studying to refresh. I'm taking the test Saturday too, I took a week off and then started studying again about a week ago. I plan on doing a few sections plus some basic review today and then take tomorrow off. Saturday morning before the test I'll probably do a couple games, a RC section, and a handful of LR questions to warmup before the test.

As far as the essay is concerned, I took the October test and didn't prep and all for the essay and I think I did fine. IMHO its pretty easy and you don't need to prep for it, but you should still take it seriously when you take the exam and do your best/don't blow it off.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 am

Take a break. There are no miracles the last day; if you know the material, then you know it. I think I actually reviewed sections the day before and freaked myself out immeasurably. HOWEVER, I am prone to test anxiety and I had not prepared as well as I would have liked to. I would say LIGHT studying, no more than 30-45 minutes if you want to look over stuff.
Last edited by CorkBoard on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 am

Also....the essay should be the least of your concern! It doesn't even count.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:48 am

CorkBoard wrote:Also....the essay should be the least of your concern! It doesn't even count.
TITCR. I know a guy that actually went to the bathroom during the writing portion. Ha.

But perhaps the morning of the test you should do a few problems to warm-up a bit, but don't check your answers, as it will just freak you out if you get them wrong. Just do them to get your brain thinking in terms of LSAT, but don't overdo it. An RC passage, a few LR, and a LG should suffice.

Good luck, mate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
CorkBoard wrote:Also....the essay should be the least of your concern! It doesn't even count.
TITCR. I know a guy that actually went to the bathroom during the writing portion. Ha.

But perhaps the morning of the test you should do a few problems to warm-up a bit, but don't check your answers, as it will just freak you out if you get them wrong. Just do them to get your brain thinking in terms of LSAT, but don't overdo it. An RC passage, a few LR, and a LG should suffice.

Good luck, mate
It doesn't count, and you shouldn't worry about it, but don't blow it off. People have been rejected because they treated it as a joke and drew pictures in that section, or wrote just anything instead of a semi-coherent argument.

As far as Friday goes, give your brain a day off. It'll consolidate everything you know and you'll actually be better off than if you studied.

The morning of, if you know that you need a little warm-up, we recommend bringing 10 LR questions and 1 LG. Make sure that all of the questions are ones that you already know how to do (preferably questions from your first practice test that you answered incorrectly, but now you're 100% sure of the correct answer). Talk yourself through them to get your brain in an LSAT mood.

Whatever you do, don't try to do new problems over the next few days (especially as warmup the morning of) - it's a recipe for killing your confidence.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:15 pm

I think it would depend on the person. Personally, I would have freaked out if I hadn't studied the day before (although I did not study too much, maybe only an hour or so).... but some people do well taking the time off. I believe you should know which type of person you are lol.

Also, to second what many others have already said, a warm-up beforehand on test day is a good idea. But like they said, DO NOT check your answers.. just use the warm-up as a warm-up.. not prep!

Best of luck to you!

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:28 pm

bp shinners wrote: Whatever you do, don't try to do new problems over the next few days (especially as warmup the morning of) - it's a recipe for killing your confidence.
I actually never considered reusing a previous LR/LG... good advice. I always just used a random LG and some LR questions, but never checked my answers.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Anyone suggests any typical composition of LSAT warm up right before the test?
ex) 1-2 game, 10 LR, 1 Reading

Also, I guess you are not allowed to bring any LSAT materials in the room. Do you guys just study LSAT in the cafeteria or whatever and throw it away in the trash can?~or study in the car? :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:03 pm

lovejopd wrote:Anyone suggests any typical composition of LSAT warm up right before the test?

Also, I guess you are not allowed to bring any LSAT materials in the room. Do you guys just study LSAT in the cafeteria or whatever and throw it away in the trash can?~or study in the car? :lol:

i would do about two pages of LR, one games (my strength), and one RC passage. but it's important to understand that you can manipulate all of that to your strengths and weaknesses.

You're right, you cannot bring the material into the testing room. Once I found my room, I literally just sat outside of it on the floor jammin out to my LSAT stuff and threw it away once it was finished.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 pm

gaud wrote:
lovejopd wrote:Anyone suggests any typical composition of LSAT warm up right before the test?

i would do about two pages of LR, one games (my strength), and one RC passage. but it's important to understand that you can manipulate all of that to your strengths and weaknesses.

You're right, you cannot bring the material into the testing room. Once I found my room, I literally just sat outside of it on the floor jammin out to my LSAT stuff and threw it away once it was finished.
That's a very nice attitude of warrior before the Test. Tear it down and Nail it! :mrgreen: Thanks for your reply!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Stress reduction activities are key. There is really not anything new you can learn about the LSAT the day before the test that will help.

Since you've been slacking off recently, maybe just spend at most 30 minutes to one hour maximum to review and work a few questions of each section type. Other than that, get your ziplock bag ready and that's it for LSAT stuff for the day.

The rest of the day is relaxing and stress relieving activities. A little bit of mild exercise like a bike ride or treadmill time would be good. Eat good healthy foods. Watch some comedy movies. If you have a girlfriend, do, you know... that could count as part of your exercise. Get to bed at a decent hour so you are well rested in the morning.

Morning of the test, if you must warm up, just a few questions of each type before you leave home or in the car in the parking lot at the test center and DO NOT check the answer key.
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Jeffort wrote:Stress reduction activities are key. There is really not anything new you can learn about the LSAT the day before the test that will help.

Since you've been slacking off recently, maybe just spend at most 30 minutes to one hour to review and work a few questions. Other than that, get your ziplock bag ready and that's it for LSAT for the day.

The rest of the day is relaxing and stress relieving activities. A little bit of mild exercise like a bike ride or treadmill time would be good. Eat good healthy foods. Watch some comedy movies. If you have a girlfriend, do :oops: It is mild or wild exercise? :lol: , you know... that could count as part of your exercise. Get to bed at a decent hour with a girl friend :mrgreen: so you are well rested in the morning.

Morning of the test, if you must warm up, just a few questions of each type before you leave home or in the car in the parking lot at the test center and DO NOT check the answer key.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:58 pm

lovejopd wrote:
Jeffort wrote:Stress reduction activities are key. There is really not anything new you can learn about the LSAT the day before the test that will help.

Since you've been slacking off recently, maybe just spend at most 30 minutes to one hour to review and work a few questions. Other than that, get your ziplock bag ready and that's it for LSAT for the day.

The rest of the day is relaxing and stress relieving activities. A little bit of mild exercise like a bike ride or treadmill time would be good. Eat good healthy foods. Watch some comedy movies. If you have a girlfriend, do :oops: It is mild or wild exercise? :lol: , you know... that could count as part of your exercise. Get to bed at a decent hour with a girl friend :mrgreen: so you are well rested in the morning.

LMFAO Image

Liquox

Bronze

Post by Liquox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:50 pm

forget studying. nothing you learn last minute is going to help

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Don't practice the essay.

Don't do anything LSAT on Friday. Rest, relax.

Do a little tonight to get your head back on the game.

Do a quick review saturday morning to refresh your skills.

The end.

hurricane12345

New

Post by hurricane12345 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Is it really that bad to check answers to the warmup questions before the test? I didn't feel like it was a drain on my confidence the first time I took the test (checked answers, for the questions I got wrong I reviewed my mistakes). Then again, I am retaking, so yeah lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justbubbles

Bronze

Post by justbubbles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 pm

There is no universal consensus on this.

Some say a bit of practice on the morning before the test is a good (eg - 1 LG, 1 RC, a couple of LRs), though I disagree.

Some say a bit of study on the day before (not to learn anything new but to get in the rhythm) is fine.

It is up to you. I will do PT 65 tomorrow (untimed) just to keep my rhythm ready for test day. I won't practice on the day of the test.

Good luck!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:41 am

My advice is to get the f*** off of TLS and pretend it doesn't exist until after the test.

You're gonna see all sorts of people posting with pretest panic, and some of the stuff they post will panic anyone.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:20 am

Scotusnerd wrote:My advice is to get the f*** off of TLS and pretend it doesn't exist until after the test.

You're gonna see all sorts of people posting with pretest panic, and some of the stuff they post will panic anyone.

I took the LSAT a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, but in the last few days before every administration I can feel the stress bleeding through my computer screen when I read the forums and get anxious because of it. Stress is contagious.

Log-off, eat some good food, watch a good show/movie and get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Everyone will have plenty of time to stress out again and post wildly while waiting for scores to be released.

/relax

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”