Help with getting better at the later questions in LR? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Geetar Man

Silver

Help with getting better at the later questions in LR?

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 am

Ello, Mates,

I am finding that I miss questions (a lot) in the later part of the sections in LR. More specifically, questions 14-23.

I know it's not a timing issue, because I can read decently fast and have time to go over answer choices. I'm also skipping questions that I find are "not enough juice for the squeeze". That is to say, I skip questions that will take up a lot of time (or at least seem that way) and head to the next question.

I am consistently getting the first part of the section (1-14) all correct, however, the second half of the section in LR always rapes me.

I'm sure there have been plenty of people with this same problem, but what I'm wondering is this: what should/can I do to help get these questions right the first time? I'm reviewing them/getting the correct the second go-round. I just can't figure it out.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Geetar Man on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond

Re: Why are the later questions in LR much more difficult?

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 am

Lots of standardized tests have increasing difficultly.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:Lots of standardized tests have increasing difficultly.

Lol, I see that. How does one combat/practice against this?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 am

Yes, the later questions are purposefully more difficult.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:40 am

5ky wrote:Yes, the later questions are purposefully more difficult.

I see what you did there...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:41 am

Do the early LR faster so that you have time to think more about the difficult ones. There are still patterns in the harder problems, they will just take more time to think through and you should practice by drilling specific questions types.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:42 am

DonnaDraper wrote:Do the early LR faster so that you have time to think more about the difficult ones. There are still patterns in the harder problems, they will just take more time to think through and you should practice by drilling specific questions types.
I am doing them faster. I do the first 13 within 13 minutes, most often flawlessly.

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:44 am

Geetar Man wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote:Do the early LR faster so that you have time to think more about the difficult ones. There are still patterns in the harder problems, they will just take more time to think through and you should practice by drilling specific questions types.
I am doing them faster. I do the first 13 within 13 minutes, most often flawlessly.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 am

DonnaDraper wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

I see. But the problem doing that is that the later problems are seemingly dispersed among the many different question types. Therefore, I'd basically have to drill all question types.

I'm also wondering if I should be drilling solely with the more difficult questions. I know there is a book out there (by Cambridge, I believe) that has compiled the most difficult questions in LR. Hmmm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 am

Geetar Man wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

I see. But the problem doing that is that the later problems are seemingly dispersed among the many different question types. Therefore, I'd basically have to drill all question types.

I'm also wondering if I should be drilling solely with the more difficult questions. I know there is a book out there (by Cambridge, I believe) that has compiled the most difficult questions in LR. Hmmm.
It's not THAT bad. There are like 13 or 14 question types? Stop being lazy and just do it. If the LSAT were easy, a lot more than 3% of people would be getting 170+s.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 am

DonnaDraper wrote: It's not THAT bad. There are like 13 or 14 question types? Stop being lazy and just do it. If the LSAT were easy, a lot more than 3% of people would be getting 170+s.
Oh I agree, its not THAT bad. I'm not complaining about studying lol I'm just trying to make sure that my studying is more focused to the specific issue that is affecting me. I'm really not trying to be a pain in the ass, but I'm genuinely looking for help.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Re: Help with getting better at the later questions in LR?

Post by Dr. Filth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 am

I usually get done with the LR reasoning sections in about 25-27 minutes, and I was having the same problems. So I began doing the second half and then the first half. Starting at question 15, working to the end, and then starting at question one. It's probably a mental thing, but I found this strategy helpful.

edit: and yeah definitely get a LR book. For me the problem was never a type of question just me being all scatterbrain Jane about the test.
Last edited by Dr. Filth on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:07 am

Geetar Man wrote:
DonnaDraper wrote: It's not THAT bad. There are like 13 or 14 question types? Stop being lazy and just do it. If the LSAT were easy, a lot more than 3% of people would be getting 170+s.
Oh I agree, its not THAT bad. I'm not complaining about studying lol I'm just trying to make sure that my studying is more focused to the specific issue that is affecting me. I'm really not trying to be a pain in the ass, but I'm genuinely looking for help.
You could just drill the harder ones. I just personally liked drilling by type because it made it easier to see how similar the questions were. I would also recommend Manhattan for LR. Powerscore has a nice list of common flaws, but other that, the Manhattan way of approaching LR clicked for me so much more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:09 am

Dr. Filth wrote:I usually get done with the LR reasoning sections in about 25-27 minutes, and I was having the same problems. So I began doing the second half and then the first half. Starting at question 15, working to the end, and then starting at question one. It's probably a mental thing, but I found this strategy helpful.
did you copy off of me???

jk, but OP, I started doing 11-25 first and a bunch of TLSers had a lot of success. Being fresh on the hard questions can do wonders. It doesn't work for everyone, but it can be really helpful if it fits.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:13 am

DonnaDraper wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
You could just drill the harder ones. I just personally liked drilling by type because it made it easier to see how similar the questions were. I would also recommend Manhattan for LR. Powerscore has a nice list of common flaws, but other that, the Manhattan way of approaching LR clicked for me so much more.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Manhattan LR book. I (stupidly) purchased it on iTunes, but after looking at it, I feel as if I need a hardback edition; the iPhone just doesn't cut it.

Can you give an example of a difference in the MH LR book compared to the PS LRB? Looks like I'll be buying 2 more books to add to my collection of LSAT shit.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:I usually get done with the LR reasoning sections in about 25-27 minutes, and I was having the same problems. So I began doing the second half and then the first half. Starting at question 15, working to the end, and then starting at question one. It's probably a mental thing, but I found this strategy helpful.

jk, but OP, I started doing 11-25 first and a bunch of TLSers had a lot of success. Being fresh on the hard questions can do wonders. It doesn't work for everyone, but it can be really helpful if it fits.
JMJ, I saw in your retake thread that you used the MH book for LR during your studying for your retake. Can you give me an example of why this book is better and why others are saying that this book clicks for them? I've read the PS LRB already, and found it not as useful as people say.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:17 am

JamMasterJ wrote:

tbh the only reason I started doing 15-25 was because the way the have the answers after tests. And yeah I did read about you doing, but after I started. Great minds think alike? I'm reaching because I didn't get an awesome score like you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:07 am

Dr. Filth wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

tbh the only reason I started doing 15-25 was because the way the have the answers after tests. And yeah I did read about you doing, but after I started. Great minds think alike? I'm reaching because I didn't get an awesome score like you
I will keep working on this-trying to start with questions 15-25. Anyone else have any helpful insight?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:47 am

Geetar Man wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

JMJ, I saw in your retake thread that you used the MH book for LR during your studying for your retake. Can you give me an example of why this book is better and why others are saying that this book clicks for them? I've read the PS LRB already, and found it not as useful as people say.
IMO, Powerscore is for getting to 160. Manhattan is for getting 170. It's hard to explain, but it seems like PS is all about really basic levels of logic and understanding the questions, but Manhattan is about understanding the test and learning what is necessary to excel at it.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

IMO, Powerscore is for getting to 160. Manhattan is for getting 170. It's hard to explain, but it seems like PS is all about really basic levels of logic and understanding the questions, but Manhattan is about understanding the test and learning what is necessary to excel at it.
So you basically are saying that PS isnt the only book that I should read for LR lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”