how bad is a first lower LSAT score? let's say 16*

naillsat

how bad is a first lower LSAT score? let's say 16*

Postby naillsat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:29 pm

I am just curious how bad the impact will be if the first LSAT score is 160-something? it's going to be my first take of LSAT this Saturday if I don't withdraw....

Geetar Man

Re: how bad is a first lower LSAT score? let's say 16*

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:31 pm

naillsat wrote:I am just curious how bad the impact will be if the first LSAT score is 160-something? it's going to be my first take of LSAT this Saturday if I don't withdraw....

Depends on what school you're trying to get into.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:41 pm

You can spot a true TLSer when they call a 90th %ile score "lower." Happy to be a part of this site :D

naillsat

Postby naillsat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:44 pm

In this article, there are many more schools in the list that takes the highest LSAT score than the one that averages multiple LSAT scores, however, the shorter list has three of my dream schools: Harvard, Berkeley, and NYU.

If I cancel Feb test, and take the June LSAT, I am not sure my steam will last strong for that long though.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:49 pm

naillsat wrote:In this article, there are many more schools in the list that takes the highest LSAT score than the one that averages multiple LSAT scores, however, the shorter list has three of my dream schools: Harvard, Berkeley, and NYU.

If I cancel Feb test, and take the June LSAT, I am not sure my steam will last strong for that long though.

Berkeley takes the highest:
if you take the test more than once, we usually use your highest score unless the scores are grouped closely together, in which case we use the average
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/47.htm

naillsat

Postby naillsat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:03 pm

KevinP wrote:Berkeley takes the highest:
if you take the test more than once, we usually use your highest score unless the scores are grouped closely together, in which case we use the average
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/47.htm

good to know that. Thanks!

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:07 pm

naillsat wrote:In this article, there are many more schools in the list that takes the highest LSAT score than the one that averages multiple LSAT scores, however, the shorter list has three of my dream schools: Harvard, Berkeley, and NYU.

These are (probably) lies. Do some sleuthing on LSN and notice that there's no difference in outcomes for people with the same top score, regardless of other scores. It really only matters at YS (and I don't know about Berkeley, but you have some other info above).

pizzabrosauce

Postby pizzabrosauce » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:You can spot a true TLSer when they call a 90th %ile score "lower." Happy to be a part of this site :D

Yupp..

to the OP, honestly after following many retaker's app cycles, I haven't noticed anyone getting seriously dinged for having multiple scores.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm

naillsat wrote:I am just curious how bad the impact will be if the first LSAT score is 160-something? it's going to be my first take of LSAT this Saturday if I don't withdraw....

If you can't score at least a 170 you should probably not go to law school.

jwalterweatherman

Postby jwalterweatherman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm

I got a 166 first time, then retook for a 172. I have a good GPA, and it hasn't hurt much so far. I'm in at MVP and above with some very generous scholarship offers. Haven't heard back from Columbia or Harvard, though - that's where the retake might have more of an effect.

FWIW, I wrote a score addendum for my application. No school has told me specifically whether that helped or not.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”