Who loves studying for this test?

Jeffort

Re: Who loves studying for this test?

Postby Jeffort » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:50 pm

VasaVasori wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
KevinP wrote:I do. Who the heck doesn't love knowing random facts (dinosaurs, global warming, women overcoming social barriers, chlorofluorocarbons, meteors, lawyers/politician fallacies, advertisement fallacies, high blood pressure, computing, and highway accidents)?

It really is very educational and is better than the Discovery channel and the Discovery Science channel. I love those channels.

Whenever I watch a show on either one, every couple of minutes I say stuff out loud like "that's what PrepTest #X, LR section Y, Q# Z is about!"

When non-LSAT/non-law school friends are over at the time watching the shows with me, they tend to get annoyed when I keep blurting out LSAT PT references and am excited about it.

Happens all the time... the other day someone was talking about how meteorites caused the dinosaurs to go extinct.

But, no, you see, the more current theory, as explained in PT15, is that volcanic eruptions more thoroughly explain the extinction because the theory explains the distribution of as well as the high concentrations of iridium.

I'm still early in my prep... only through PT16. I only expect this to happen more and more often.

Overall, I do enjoy prepping for the test, it's just annoying to have to do it along side of school work. But, at the same time, it's very different from normal classes, so in some ways studying for the LSAT is a nice break.

Yep, it's been happening to me for years.

I've learned more from reading & reviewing LSAT RC passages in order to help students prep than I did from all my UG classes.

There are topics in them I would never have taken classes about or been exposed to in college no matter how many classes I took or what major I chose. There's a lot of interesting stuff in the passages. The topics and content discussed is drawn from/adapted from real academic journals/sources/publications, none of it is based on fictional fabricated bull$hit.

I loved RC when I prepped and still love it many years later, it's just hard to teach for LSAT performance for various reasons.

One of the big reasons many people have problems with the section is because of poor reading/grammar/vocabulary skills that should have been developed during grade school through UG and/or they just hate the RC section, have a bad attitude about it and don't actively read and concentrate on the passage because they aren't interested in the subject matter.

Learn to love reading, learning and embrace the RC section people!
Last edited by Jeffort on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Jeffort wrote:
VasaVasori wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
KevinP wrote:I do. Who the heck doesn't love knowing random facts (dinosaurs, global warming, women overcoming social barriers, chlorofluorocarbons, meteors, lawyers/politician fallacies, advertisement fallacies, high blood pressure, computing, and highway accidents)?

It really is very educational and is better than the Discovery channel and the Discovery Science channel. I love those channels.

Whenever I watch a show on either one, every couple of minutes I say stuff out loud like "that's what PrepTest #X, LR section Y, Q# Z is about!"

When non-LSAT/non-law school friends are over at the time watching the shows with me, they tend to get annoyed when I keep blurting out LSAT PT references and am excited about it.

Happens all the time... the other day someone was talking about how meteorites caused the dinosaurs to go extinct.

But, no, you see, the more current theory, as explained in PT15, is that volcanic eruptions more thoroughly explain the extinction because the theory explains the distribution of as well as the high concentrations of iridium.

I'm still early in my prep... only through PT16. I only expect this to happen more and more often.

Overall, I do enjoy prepping for the test, it's just annoying to have to do it along side of school work. But, at the same time, it's very different from normal classes, so in some ways studying for the LSAT is a nice break.

Yep, it's been happening to me for years.

I've learned more from reading & reviewing LSAT RC passages in order to help students prep than I did from all my UG classes.

There are topics in them I would never have taken classes about or been exposed to in college no matter how many classes I took or what major I chose. There's a lot of interesting stuff in the passages. The topics and content discussed is drawn from/adapted from real academic journals/sources/publications, none of it is based on fictional fabricated bull$hit.

I loved RC when I prepped and still love it many years later, it's just hard to teach for LSAT performance for various reasons. One of the big reasons is because many students have poor reading/grammar/vocabulary skills that should have been developed during grade school through UG and/or they just hate the RC section, have a bad attitude about it and don't actively read the passage.

Learn to love reading, learning and embrace the RC section people!

I am trying to enjoy the passages. I think it's getting better, slowly but surely.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Jeffort wrote:

If you keep doing this, you will lose all your friends in the end OR your friends will think you are a weirdo :lol:

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:00 pm

I enjoy certain passages, but the scientific ones pertaining to neurotransmitters and shit are always pretty soul-sucking.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm the opposite. I love the scientific ones with neurotransmitters and shit, and hate the ones about how writing evolved over the 16th century or whatever humanities crap they throw out there. RC is definitely my least favorite out of the 3.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm

bdeebs wrote:I'm the opposite. I love the scientific ones with neurotransmitters and shit, and hate the ones about how writing evolved over the 16th century or whatever humanities crap they throw out there. RC is definitely my least favorite out of the 3.

I agree. I loathe RC section. However, I do find the passages about technology and whatnot pretty interesting. I guess with the science ones, I don't really know the significance of neurotransmitters and shit, so it's hard for me to be interested in it.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:07 pm

bdeebs wrote:I don't know if I'm just in the honeymoon phase of studying or what, but I absolutely love studying for, and taking these tests. I'm curious if that is as weird among the subset of people who want to be lawyers as it probably is to the general population.

You have to love it (or learn to find joy in it) in order to be good at it, or is it the other way around? For me it was the former. When you see the breakthroughs, major or minor, that's when you begin to enjoy it. I actually started getting good at RC once I ignored the fact that I was being tested and just read the passages for my own interest - even the "philosopher's corner" and hard science passages. Ok, the philosopher's corner passages are still a bitch sometimes. Lol. Logic games became fun after I had done so many of them that no game type stumped me (even games like Dinos!). LR was fun once I mastered the only problem types that ever gave me any trouble: (necessary) assumptions and inferences.

Find the joy in the small breakthroughs and be proud of yourself. Eventually the test becomes fun.

Philosophers may circle principles and scope-shifts may alter explanations, but whether the odd man out is a tough choice or not, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”