Reevaluating my prep approach

birrch0
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Reevaluating my prep approach

Postby birrch0 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Hello all,

Ive come here looking for help. I took the LSAT in Oct and scored 153. I want to actually be in the mid-160s. I am hoping to retake the LSAT in June. I took a BP class, got some basic technique down, but there was places where I acknowledge I could have done better.

Now I need to shift gears and reasses my prep. With about four months, I am wondering how to even start. LR has been my strongest point usually. LG my worse, and RC just decent. Now I'm wondering, do I review BPs techniques and just go on from there? And if so, how? Should I just take as many PTs as possible, should I follow a study schedule like the one here or LSATblogs? I dont want to be redundant and do things unnecessarily. I have Powerscores LGB and LRB, but the techniques are so different from BP, which i'm used to, I dont know if I should impliment them.

What do you guys think I should do? I dont know how to begin tackling this. I will provide any other info if needed. Thanks.

User avatar
Mr.Binks
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Reevaluating my prep approach

Postby Mr.Binks » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:35 pm

See either JamMasterJ's retake guide or PithyPike's.

It sounds like you don't quite have all of the fundamentals down to approach each question type, so it would benefit you to relearn these. 4 months is ample time to get your score to where you want it if you are willing to put in the effort.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Reevaluating my prep approach

Postby bp shinners » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:43 am

birrch0 wrote:Hello all,

Ive come here looking for help. I took the LSAT in Oct and scored 153. I want to actually be in the mid-160s. I am hoping to retake the LSAT in June. I took a BP class, got some basic technique down, but there was places where I acknowledge I could have done better.

Now I need to shift gears and reasses my prep. With about four months, I am wondering how to even start. LR has been my strongest point usually. LG my worse, and RC just decent. Now I'm wondering, do I review BPs techniques and just go on from there? And if so, how? Should I just take as many PTs as possible, should I follow a study schedule like the one here or LSATblogs? I dont want to be redundant and do things unnecessarily. I have Powerscores LGB and LRB, but the techniques are so different from BP, which i'm used to, I dont know if I should impliment them.

What do you guys think I should do? I dont know how to begin tackling this. I will provide any other info if needed. Thanks.


Did you complete all the homework for the course? If you still have questions left from that, use them as you go through to help with understanding.

As for a plan, I'm obviously going to promote using our materials, since you have them and are familiar with the method (and, you know, they rock).

For LR review (I know it's your strongest, but you can always improve), focus on the flaw lesson until you have them memorized and can spot them from a mile away. That's one of the two foundations for our entire approach to LR.

For LG, that's something that's extremely learn-able. Are all games giving you issues, or are you good at, for instance, ordering games, but bomb grouping games?
For grouping games, I find that people that have a hard time with them until they just accept the fact that all of the games come down to the four big relationships we teach (at least one, must be together, can't be both, tag-along) and just memorize the different forms. When I say, "Grouping rule, negated sufficient condition," you should immediately be able to respond with, "At least one rule." If you can't do that, you need to spend more time on the basic rules.

Same with ordering games - the first two games lessons have the basics, and once you get them down, every game becomes a variation of those.

For Reading Comp, spend more time analyzing where in the passage the questions are coming from. There are always going to be questions on the different viewpoints (especially the authors), so you should always note that. However, start to notice other things - for instance, if they directly compare two things, there's likely to be a question about the comparison. If they note that there's a commonly held/traditional belief, there's probably going to be a question about that (and possibly one on how it compares to the author's belief).

For the questions, also start noting which question type from LR it most closely resembles. Many of the questions will be akin to soft Must Be True questions - this should tell you that you're looking for a weak answer choice, unless there's specific language in the passage to allow you to look for a stronger answer choice (which there rarely is, and it's usually very noticeable in an RC passage when the author is taking a strong stance). After typing the question, also note from whose viewpoint the question is being asked. So if the passage is evolution vs. creationism, a question from the perspective of the scientists is going to have a much different answer than from the creationists, and you should take a second to get into the right mindset before answering the question.

If you have any specific questions about BP methods, feel free to shoot me a PM!

birrch0
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Reevaluating my prep approach

Postby birrch0 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm

I can't find either of those retake guides. If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it.

I think I'm just going to dive in and start working on LG and see if I can get back into the full swing. It's really difficult to even start working on this :/

User avatar
pizzabrosauce
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Reevaluating my prep approach

Postby pizzabrosauce » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Pithypike's guide:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

JammasterJ's retake guide:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=173647

User avatar
Mr.Binks
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Reevaluating my prep approach

Postby Mr.Binks » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:51 pm

birrch0 wrote:I can't find either of those retake guides. If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it.

I think I'm just going to dive in and start working on LG and see if I can get back into the full swing. It's really difficult to even start working on this :/


Definitely tough to get back into the swing of things, especially knowing that the test is 4 months away. But I made that mistake twice already, so that's not happening again!

The mentioned guides are pretty comprehensive, I think. I am currently roughly following JMJ's while supplementing with Velocity.

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Reevaluating my prep approach

Postby lovejopd » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
birrch0 wrote:I can't find either of those retake guides. If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it.

I think I'm just going to dive in and start working on LG and see if I can get back into the full swing. It's really difficult to even start working on this :/


Definitely tough to get back into the swing of things, especially knowing that the test is 4 months away. But I made that mistake twice already, so that's not happening again!

The mentioned guides are pretty comprehensive, I think. I am currently roughly following JMJ's while supplementing with Velocity.


Oh My Gosh...It's ONLY 4 MONTHS LEFT?...I am NOT ready! :cry:

I checked my reminder app on my I-phone...It said "4 M 1 D 17h 23 M..."

Yeah, I am your study buddy as I am on Velocity too 8)

p.s. I might order the watch you have right after the Feb test to get a discount... :lol:




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ColonelSanders and 3 guests