LSAT timer recommendations

StephenMaturin

LSAT timer recommendations

Postby StephenMaturin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:37 pm

Has anyone found a timer apps for iPhone that are specifically targeted at LSAT test taking? I am just looking for something simple.

I realize on test day that I'll need to use an analog watch, and that it's better to practice with that [insert other top-law-schools orthodoxy] but want something to use on my phone when I don't have my watch. A (admittedly cursory) search doesn't turn up much.

Happy practicing!

Mr.Binks

Re: LSAT timer recommendations

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:55 pm

I am not sure of any iPhone apps, but when I do PTs, I have an analog watch and my laptop facing away with an online proctor such as this one: http://www.alpha-score.com/resources/lsat-proctor/

I think if you keep it turned away, it simulates the conditions pretty well, since it instructs you when to begin and when you have 5 minutes remaining.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:I am not sure of any iPhone apps, but when I do PTs, I have an analog watch and my laptop facing away with an online proctor such as this one: http://www.alpha-score.com/resources/lsat-proctor/

I think if you keep it turned away, it simulates the conditions pretty well, since it instructs you when to begin and when you have 5 minutes remaining.

Solid advice ^ . Online proctors are the way to go OP.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:07 pm

I used a cooking timer (turned away) so I could acclimate to the time without necessarily hearing warnings and the like. I would suggest that you start practicing with the watch you will use on test day as your only visible timer.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:35 pm

Also, if you're highly neurotic like I am, perhaps you should consider an analog watch tailored to the LSAT. I recently purchased a 180watch.

http://180watch.com/

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:42 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Also, if you're highly neurotic like I am, perhaps you should consider an analog watch tailored to the LSAT. I recently purchased a 180watch.

Why can't you just set a normal watch to 11:25 at the start of each section?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:I recently purchased a 180watch.

Makes me sad for humanity.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:19 pm

hibiki wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:Also, if you're highly neurotic like I am, perhaps you should consider an analog watch tailored to the LSAT. I recently purchased a 180watch.

Why can't you just set a normal watch to 11:25 at the start of each section?

12:00 is better than 11:25 :lol:

Wow it is $49...

I have a nice Nautica chronograph watch that I will use during LSAT!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PS ... 00_details

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:33 pm

I just bought a cheap analog watch from wal-mart with a huge face and tick marks, and just reset it to 12 each section. It's relatively easy and you get used to it after practicing.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:57 pm

lovejopd wrote:12:00 is better than 11:25 :lol:

Nah, at 11:25 it counts down to 12:00. Clearly better :wink:

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:04 pm

hibiki wrote:
lovejopd wrote:12:00 is better than 11:25 :lol:

Nah, at 11:25 it counts down to 12:00. Clearly better :wink:

Objection!! :roll:

Setting a watch to 12:00 is superior as you can simply read minutes and know how long it passed! :lol:

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Haha. I tried setting to 11:25, but then I would always have to make sure the second hand was right and that I didn't accidentally shift the hands when pushing the crown back in. I don't know, it probably isn't necessary, but I'm on my third retake, so I'm gonna not taking any chances. I also like to know exactly how many seconds I have left, etc. Yeah, yeah... I'm neurotic. :)

I'd be pretty giddy if they would just let us use digital watches. :-D

Lil Kev

Postby Lil Kev » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:26 pm

StephenMaturin wrote:Has anyone found a timer apps for iPhone that are specifically targeted at LSAT test taking? I am just looking for something simple.

I realize on test day that I'll need to use an analog watch, and that it's better to practice with that [insert other top-law-schools orthodoxy] but want something to use on my phone when I don't have my watch. A (admittedly cursory) search doesn't turn up much.

Happy practicing!

Where are you going to be practicing when you don't have your watch? Are you going to stop, drop, and practice at certain, random points in certain, random places?

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:28 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Haha. I tried setting to 11:25, but then I would always have to make sure the second hand was right and that I didn't accidentally shift the hands when pushing the crown back in. I don't know, it probably isn't necessary, but I'm on my third retake, so I'm gonna not taking any chances. I also like to know exactly how many seconds I have left, etc. Yeah, yeah... I'm neurotic. :)

Hey, with 180 watch, is it easy to make the second hand 60 second? It is automatic to reset all minute and second like chronograph or it requires manual reset? I am rooting for your 3rd retake! :D

Lil Kev

Postby Lil Kev » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:33 pm

Also, LOL @ the fact that there may be LSAT-specific clock apps for the iPhone. There probably is one, somewhere. Some aspie had to have made it.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:38 pm

lovejopd wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:Haha. I tried setting to 11:25, but then I would always have to make sure the second hand was right and that I didn't accidentally shift the hands when pushing the crown back in. I don't know, it probably isn't necessary, but I'm on my third retake, so I'm gonna not taking any chances. I also like to know exactly how many seconds I have left, etc. Yeah, yeah... I'm neurotic. :)

Hey, with 180 watch, is it easy to make the second hand 60 second? It is automatic to reset all minute and second like chronograph or it requires manual reset? I am rooting for your 3rd retake! :D

I just ordered it, but I believe everything resets with just one press of the crown. The second hand damn well better reset automatically, or else it'd be kind of pointless. Haha. and thanks for the encouragement! I've poked numerous holes (more like craters) in my study plan and have since revised it. Let's go June!

Are you taking June as well?

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
lovejopd wrote:

I just ordered it, but I believe everything resets with just one press of the crown. The second hand damn well better reset automatically, or else it'd be kind of pointless. Haha. and thanks for the encouragement! I've poked numerous holes (more like craters) in my study plan and have since revised it. Let's go June!

Yeah~count me in :D

When are you expected to get this watch? Would you tell me your experience with this watch when you can actually prep with this one?

I think if you can reset BOTH Second and Minute hand at the same time with pressing simply one button, it is worth 49 bucks as long as it is not broken easily Yes, I am neurotic too 8)

Hope all June Test Takers the best!

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:12 pm

lovejopd wrote:Yeah~count me in :D

When are you expected to get this watch? Would you tell me your experience with this watch when you can actually prep with this one?

I think if you can reset BOTH Second and Minute hand at the same time with pressing simply one button, it is worth 49 bucks as long as it is not broken easily Yes, I am neurotic too 8)

According to the website, the second and minute hand should reset with one press of a button. Well, two--one to stop the watch and one to reset.

I figured if I have this, it will be much like having a digital watch, since I know exactly where I am (within a second) in the 35 minutes. In December, I accidentally slid my finger when I pressed the crown in, so my watch was off the official 35 minutes by a minute. :-\

--LinkRemoved--

I should be getting it within the week or next week by the latest. I'll let you know how it works!

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:17 am

Mr.Binks wrote:
lovejopd wrote:Yeah~count me in :D

According to the website, the second and minute hand should reset with one press of a button. Well, two--one to stop the watch and one to reset.

I figured if I have this, it will be much like having a digital watch, since I know exactly where I am (within a second) in the 35 minutes. In December, I accidentally slid my finger when I pressed the crown in, so my watch was off the official 35 minutes by a minute. :-\

--LinkRemoved--

I should be getting it within the week or next week by the latest. I'll let you know how it works!

That mistake was pretty bad... :cry: I understand your pain. Appreciate your feedback in advance~!

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:03 pm

lovejopd wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:
lovejopd wrote:

Yeah~count me in :D

Just got the watch! So it's pretty nifty, but it's pretty obviously cheaply made, so you're going to have to be careful with it during prep time. It works pretty fantastically! There's one button that starts/stops the watch and another to reset it. The second hand on the side ticks every two seconds, so you'll know exactly how many seconds you have left in the 35 minutes (+/- 1 second).

Although a watch like this is far from necessary, I feel like--if you're neurotic like I am--it will give you a sort of peace of mind knowing that you'll know exactly where you are in the 35 minutes. Just one less thing to be concerned about!

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Wow, that's pretty fantastic! Thank you for your experiment and feedback!!

bigox

Postby bigox » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:31 am

Do you have any fear that they test center won't allow the 180watch? Is there any way to guarantee that it is acceptable? What if they consider it a timer instead of a wristwatch?

omninode

Postby omninode » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:08 am

Re: The original question. Your iPhone has a built-in timer app, it's called Clock. Set it to 35 minutes. Done.

btw: Massive LOLs at the idea of buying a special LSAT watch. Unless it comes with a time machine, it will not help you more than a regular analog watch. And you can wear a regular watch in public without looking like a huge dingus. So I hope you enjoy your dingus watch that will be useless to you after the test.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:42 am

and whats wrong with a cheap digital watch? You can get one with a timer for 10 bucks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”