How to build intellectual stamina?

tomjennings

How to build intellectual stamina?

Postby tomjennings » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 pm

I have not taken a full-length practice test yet, but I have run through portions of tests and games and I normally do pretty well. Still, I have not spent five hours out of my free time doing nothing but reading and filling in bubbles. The main reason is that my body gets tired and my mind wanders off when I have tried to take tests. I've been going through study guides periodically for several months now, and I somehow can read and study those for hours at a time but taking an actual test is different for me. How do I build the stamina to avoid this and discipline myself to get better?

glucose101

Re: How to build intellectual stamina?

Postby glucose101 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:14 am

Take full PTs. It's the only way you'll train your brain to take on this task.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:09 am

if you're body gets tired, make sure you eat and get your calories.

Even though taking the test doesn't seem like a physically exhausting process, your brain actually uses a lot of energy.
After the actual test, I went home and knocked out for about 5 hours.

For me, I have to eat a certain amount of calories (1500-2000+) before I could even attempt a PT. Make sure you do the same (it won't be the same amount for you because my metabolism is likely faster).

But anyway, you get the point.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:22 am

senorhosh wrote:if you're body gets tired, make sure you eat and get your calories.

Even though taking the test doesn't seem like a physically exhausting process, your brain actually uses a lot of energy.

For me, I have to eat a certain amount of calories (1500-2000+) before I could even attempt a PT. Make sure you do the same (it won't be the same amount for you because my metabolism is likely faster).

Haha I may not go that far, but yeah I always needed to stay hydrated and in the beginning would pop a couple of advil before doing logic games because those mofos gave me headaches

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 am

glucose101 wrote:Take full PTs. It's the only way you'll train your brain to take on this task.

definitely this

Improving your endurance will make you more consistent. When I was prepping, I had no problem understanding the logic, but I often make stupid errors because my mind would wander. So, about a month before the test, I started taking a PT every other day, and it helped immensely.

and caffeine lol

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:18 am

Ya, I hardly think what you're experiencing is a lack of proper diet/sustenance. We've all been there--the transition from untimed practice to the real deal of timed sections. The transition will be rocky initially, but, like anything, the more you do something, the easier and faster you become at it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:19 am

Think a lot.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 am

romothesavior wrote:Think a lot.

Then, when you think you're about to explode because you can't think any longer, stop thinking for a little bit. Then start the cycle over again. Repeat until it really becomes too much.

AbhiJ

Postby AbhiJ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:27 am

senorhosh wrote:if you're body gets tired, make sure you eat and get your calories.

This sounds very me like. Tests wear me out. Tests in which I feel the most tired I performed better than than when I was less tired. This exam is meant to test the limits of human mind and body at highest levels (177-180), when 99% of people start losing it.
What do you eat for the 1500+ calories ?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 am

If a PT takes you 5 hours, you're doing it wrong.
35 min + 5 min break
35 min + 5 min break
35 min + 15 min break
35 min + 5 min break
35 min

A bit over 3 hours.

If this is the longest test you've ever taken, consider yourself lucky. The Fundamentals of Engineering exam is 8 hours (2 4-hr sections w/ a lunch break) and there are no PTs.

odetojefferson

Postby odetojefferson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:31 am

I had to train myself at the exact time I would take the test. I would wake up around 7, eat 2 eggs and a veggie sausage patty, drink 2 cups of coffee, read a magazine, then start the PT at 9. Every other day for a month.

I did find that on the test day I had a lot of adrenaline, but it is really important to establish a routine for PTing.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Eating salmon help?

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
If this is the longest test you've ever taken, consider yourself lucky. The Fundamentals of Engineering exam is 8 hours (2 4-hr sections w/ a lunch break) and there are no PTs.

This would be brutal.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:05 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

This would be brutal.
Yes it was. It's pass/fail so you don't find out your score, but I've heard a pass is like 40% or something nuts.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 pm

glucose101 wrote:Take full PTs. It's the only way you'll train your brain to take on this task.

Seconding this, but I'd like to add that adding a fifth section to the LSAC PTs is helpful. Get in the habit of sitting down and taking going through three sections, taking a short break and powering through the final two. I didn't usually take the time to do the written portion, but if you want to really build stamina I'd suggest adding that as well.

Good luck!

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:19 am

If a PT takes you 5 hours, you're doing it wrong.
35 min + 5 min break
35 min + 5 min break
35 min + 15 min break
35 min + 5 min break
35 min

A bit over 3 hours.

What's this "5 min break" nonsense?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”