Awareness in LR

Geetar Man

Awareness in LR

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:09 pm

I had posted a question in Dave Hall's thread, about missing more questions in the latter part of the section.

Here is the respone I received from Dave and also, a link to something Powerscore wrote up about the topic.

Both of which offer helpful *insight* for people facing the same problem. It might help, it might not, but either way, it might.

Dave Hall wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:Dave,

When I do a LR section with 45 minutes as my time-limit, I can easily achieve a -0 to -3 on the section, but when I do strict timing (35 minutes), I miss far more, around -7 to -10.

I know that I understand the questions fairly well. (I've been diligently prepping for a few months now, shooting for the June Exam) The only questions I miss on the less restricted time-limit are ones that are inherently difficult (though, I can see why the correct answer is right/wrong answers are wrong after the fact). Whereas, when I'm under the strict time-limit, I miss them across the board.

In short, I'm missing a lot more questions when the 35 minute time limit is in place than when I am testing with a 45 minute time limit. -7 to -10 and -0 to -3, respectively. Is their something I can do to foster better practice and answer questions better/faster, assuming I have the fundamentals down with regards to what the answers should be? I know a simple answer would be to practice more, but I've been practicing for a while now and it keeps happening. :oops:

TIA!

I'd put your focus on adopting some situational awareness: the first half of any LR section is easier, on the whole, than is the last half. So, during the first half, the answers that initially seem most right usually are (that trend reverses itself for much of the last half).

With that in mind, try to aim for this distribution of your time: 10-12 minutes for the first half, and twice that amount for the second half of any LR section.

Breaking it down in this way gives you a specific area of focus, and should help you pace yourself appropriately.

http://powerscore.com/lrbible/content/q ... _stats.pdf

And the original thread I started.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=176666
Last edited by Geetar Man on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbaron

Re: Situational awareness in LR

Postby sbaron » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:18 pm

I appreciate this advice. I too was encountering similar issues.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:54 pm

sbaron wrote:I appreciate this advice. I too was encountering similar issues.

No problem. I'm glad it helped someone! I know if gave me something else to think about/practice.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:35 am

Geetar Man wrote:

No problem. I'm glad it helped someone! I know if gave me something else to think about/practice.

This is the Wikipedia definition of situational awareness:

Situational awareness, is the perception of environmental elements with respect to time and/or space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their status after some variable has changed, such as time.

Therefore, if you consistently have a problem with large objects falling on you while taking a PT, working on this makes perfect sense.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 am

Nulli Secundus wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

This is the Wikipedia definition of situational awareness:

Situational awareness, is the perception of environmental elements with respect to time and/or space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their status after some variable has changed, such as time.

Therefore, if you consistently have a problem with large objects falling on you while taking a PT, working on this makes perfect sense.

Credited. Thread title changed to just "awareness", which is basically what I think Dave meant in his advice.

Awareness: is the state or ability to perceive, to feel, or to be conscious of events, objects or sensory patterns. In this level of consciousness, sense data can be confirmed by an observer without necessarily implying understanding. More broadly, it is the state or quality of being aware of something.

bdeebs

Re: Awareness in LR

Postby bdeebs » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:47 pm

Or you could limit your definition of environment to the LSAT booklet and the contents within, and the wiki definition works just fine.

Geetar Man

Re: Awareness in LR

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:32 pm

bdeebs wrote:Or you could limit your definition of environment to the LSAT booklet and the contents within, and the wiki definition works just fine.

Valid.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”