Withdrew, will it look bad?

lawschoolsarcasm

Withdrew, will it look bad?

Postby lawschoolsarcasm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:08 pm

I had to withdraw from my original LSAT due to a broken wrist, completely immobile thumb on my writing hand, of course lsac screwed me and wouldn't refund me but I withdrew before the test/deadline etc. Will I have to explain this to law schools? :( Or will they not get info that I had to drop out?

MachineLemon

Re: Withdrew, will it look bad?

Postby MachineLemon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:10 pm

lawschoolsarcasm wrote:I had to withdraw from my original LSAT due to a broken wrist, completely immobile thumb on my writing hand, of course lsac screwed me and wouldn't refund me but I withdrew before the test/deadline etc. Will I have to explain this to law schools? :( Or will they not get info that I had to drop out?

Write a brief addendum. Won't be an issue.

lawschoolsarcasm

Postby lawschoolsarcasm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:10 pm

also, did anybody ever get money back from having to withdraw before a test? IF you have, you can probably turn water into wine and you have to share your secrets with me! Haha back when it happened even my mom called to yell and she couldn't break them on the refund. They didn't even care about a doctors note.

lawschoolsarcasm

Postby lawschoolsarcasm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:13 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
lawschoolsarcasm wrote:I had to withdraw from my original LSAT due to a broken wrist, completely immobile thumb on my writing hand, of course lsac screwed me and wouldn't refund me but I withdrew before the test/deadline etc. Will I have to explain this to law schools? :( Or will they not get info that I had to drop out?

Write a brief addendum. Won't be an issue.

so they will see that i withdrew then? *sigh* thought it only showed if you canceled after a take

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:20 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:16 am

lawschoolsarcasm wrote:so they will see that i withdrew then? *sigh* thought it only showed if you canceled after a take

No, you used to get an absence if you withdrew after the deadline, but now the deadline is just for a refund. There won't be any record at all if you've withdrawn. If you remain registered but just don't show up, you'll get an absence on your score report.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:22 am

suspicious android wrote:
lawschoolsarcasm wrote:so they will see that i withdrew then? *sigh* thought it only showed if you canceled after a take

No, you used to get an absence if you withdrew after the deadline, but now the deadline is just for a refund. There won't be any record at all if you've withdrawn. If you remain registered but just don't show up, you'll get an absence on your score report.

You sure about this? I thought that after a certain date it counts as a cancel. Not sure myself, just thought I heard that somewhere.

Either way, OP, this isn't worth worrying about from an admissions standpoint. Just study hard for the real deal and tell your schools in a concise addendum about your broken wrist. On the $ side, I think you're out of luck.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:52 am

MachineLemon wrote:
suspicious android wrote:Either way, OP, this isn't worth worrying about from an admissions standpoint. Just study hard for the real deal and tell your schools in a concise addendum about your broken wrist. On the $ side, I think you're out of luck.

Yeah, they changed the rules a year or two back. It was a terrible rule, I always thought. You'd get an absence even if you decided ten days before the test that you weren't going to be able to take the test. I can't remember the deadlines, but I think it was around two weeks before the test or else you'd be marked as absent if you didn't show up. Ridiculous policy, people's plans change, and the penalty should be losing their registration fee. Like if you buy a pizza but never pick it up.

Now, you can withdraw your registration until about three weeks before the test for a partial refund, and after that you can withdraw online up until midnight the day before the test.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates-us-june11.asp

AbhiJ

Postby AbhiJ » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:30 am

There is no point worrying about it now - anyway you can never be 100% sure whether it would look bad. You can play only the cards that you are handed. Prepare for the next exam without worrying one bit about the last exam.

Errzii

Postby Errzii » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:37 am

you can be 100% sure it won't look bad because they won't see it at all with the new policy, it will be as if OP never signed up.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:20 am

You'll be an auto reject wherever you apply.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:54 am

Stanford4Me wrote:You'll be an auto reject wherever you apply.

+1 You should look into med school.

bruss

Postby bruss » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Withdrawals mean nothing, it will not show up anywhere. Registering for the test and no showing means something. Showing up and canceling means something.

lawschoolsarcasm

Postby lawschoolsarcasm » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Sorry for the confusion, I've taken the lsat since after my cast came off, but I needed to know if I had to include the original withdraw. The consensus seems to be no.

My parents wanted me to be a doctor, I continually disappoint them with my "liberal arts degree" as they call my BA degree. I have a major in political science so perhaps with my science major I can be a doctor one day :P

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”