Study materials... how much is too much? =) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
brobar

New

Study materials... how much is too much? =)

Post by brobar » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:15 pm

So through a couple of nicely timed EBAY snipes... I've been able to acquire all of the following study materials at a very reasonable price and just a fraction of the retail since most of the materials were considered used (even though several of the books are new or like new).

Overkill? Undoubtedly! I've still got a looooooong time before I'm ready to take the test or before most people would even start preparing, but I want to take my time and have plenty of options so I can cull out from each program what doesn't work for me and select from each program those things that do work for me. Based on what I have here, are there things that you guys have seen or know through experience I should just definitely set aside and not even bother wasting my time with?

I currently have:
  • 2011 Kaplan Lesson Book
  • 2011 Kaplan Online Companion
  • 2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing LR
  • 2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing LG
  • 2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing RC
  • 2011 Kaplan Endurance Practice
  • Manhattan LSAT Logic Games Strategy Guide
  • Manhattan LSAT Logical Reasoning Strategy Guide
  • Manhattan LSAT Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide
  • Manhattan LSAT Practice Book I
  • Manhattan LSAT Practice Book II
  • The Official LSAT Handbook
  • The Official LSAT SuperPrep
  • Powerscore Logic Reasoning Bible
  • Powerscore Reading Comprehension Bible
  • Powerscore Logic Games Bible
  • Grouped By Game Type
  • Grouped by Question Type
  • 10 More Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests
  • The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests
  • Individual PrepTest booklets 40-62
Since I'm starting so early... to avoid having to re-do tests I've already done I'll continue to add the new PrepTest booklets as they are released... especially closer to test time so I'll have more recent material to work off of.

So again, anything you would suggest definitely weeding out and not even bother using?

Thanks!

Geetar Man

Silver

Re: Study materials... how much is too much? =)

Post by Geetar Man » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 pm

brobar wrote:So through a couple of nicely timed EBAY snipes... I've been able to acquire all of the following study materials at a very reasonable price and just a fraction of the retail since most of the materials were considered used (even though several of the books are new or like new).

Overkill? Undoubtedly! I've still got a looooooong time before I'm ready to take the test or before most people would even start preparing, but I want to take my time and have plenty of options so I can cull out from each program what doesn't work for me and select from each program those things that do work for me. Based on what I have here, are there things that you guys have seen or know through experience I should just definitely set aside and not even bother wasting my time with?

I currently have:
          • 2011 Kaplan Lesson Book
          • 2011 Kaplan Online Companion
          • 2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing LR
          • 2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing LG
          • 2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing RC
          • 2011 Kaplan Endurance Practice
          • Grouped By Game Type
          Since I'm starting so early... to avoid having to re-do tests I've already done I'll continue to add the new PrepTest booklets as they are released... especially closer to test time so I'll have more recent material to work off of.

So again, anything you would suggest definitely weeding out and not even bother using?

Thanks!

Looks like you have all the sticks you need to start the fire. What test are you shooting for? I would FOR SURE do self study with that amount of materials. Use the powerscore books the get a rhythm and then use the other books for practice and then use the PTs for PTs/review/adding 5th sections (earlier PTS). Get that fire started if you're aiming for June!

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:56 pm

brobar wrote:So through a couple of nicely timed EBAY snipes... I've been able to acquire all of the following study materials at a very reasonable price and just a fraction of the retail since most of the materials were considered used (even though several of the books are new or like new).

I currently have:
                  [list]2011 Kaplan Lesson Book[/list]
                  [list]2011 Kaplan Online Companion[/list]
                  [list]2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing LR[/list]
                  [list]2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing LG[/list]
                  [list]2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing RC[/list]
                  [list]2011 Kaplan Endurance Practice[/list]
                  • Grouped By Game Type

Thanks!
                          Fixed it.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:

I currently have:
                          [list]2011 Kaplan Lesson Book[/list]
                          [list]2011 Kaplan Online Companion[/list]
                          [list]2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing LR[/list]
                          [list]2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing LG[/list]
                          [list]2011 Kaplan Mastery & Timing RC[/list]
                          [list]2011 Kaplan Endurance Practice[/list]
                          • Grouped By Game Type

Thanks!
                                  Fixed it.

I disagree. Since Kaplan uses real LSAT questions, it would be wasteful to completely disregard those books. Albeit the explanations are rather weak, the questions can offer more practice.

Like I said, use the PS bibles as a start. Then, use the Kaplan books to practice drilling specific question types/review questions missed.

You have plenty of materials and I don't think you should be getting any more; it would be over kill. You don't want to suffocate the fire with the amount of sticks you've got. Study hard and you'll be fine.

brobar

New

Post by brobar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Oh I'm still a couple of years away from taking the test. I know I'm starting ridiculously early but I'm very analytical, pretty ambitious and want to get a jump start now that way I can evaluate where I currently stand and give myself plenty of time to get myself where I need to be to pull a 167+

My wife is finishing up pharmacy school next summer which is when I plan to go back and finish my computer science degree. This next year will be a great opportunity for me to get a jump start on the LSATs without having school in the way. I'm gonna take it nice and slow to find out which little tricks and methods work for me and develop my own methods based off of those (only if I need to). I don't want to be stuck with just one particular method for a given section... I want to try as many as I can and see what works best for me.

I have seen and heard mixed reviews for the Kaplan materials but I'll try their methods along with the others to see how they stack up. I may not use many of them but there may be *something* in there that I find helpful. If not, well at least there is plenty of practice questions I can mark up. =)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”