Sharp drop in PT scores

bernaldiaz

Sharp drop in PT scores

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:04 pm

I've been studying since November for the February 11th test. My diagnostic was a 164 and I made steady progress over the first month, breaking 170 by December, and continuing to improve through December and into the beginning of January. I started scoring 175+, culminating in back to back 179's. However, my last couple of tests I've regressed quite a bit (172, 172, 170). I've taken about 20 prep tests now.

My guess is that I'm becoming ambivalent when I take my practice tests. I know (or at least hope) that I have a pretty decent mastery of the material, and think it's possible that I haven't really focused on the tests. Is this what people describe as "burnout"? Is it something that I should actively combat? Should I cut back on my practice schedule (roughly 2 hours a day at this point while at school) or should I rev it back up because of my drop in scores? Either way, I'd appreciate some insight.

gaud

Re: Sharp drop in PT scores

Postby gaud » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Which tests did you start seeing your scores drop on?? Many of us saw drops when we began taking the more recent tests.

Either way, if you can afford to, take a few days to a week off. Give your brain a rest. You're not going to forget all that you have learned in a week and it will help if burnout is what you're experiencing.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:13 pm

gaud wrote:Which tests did you start seeing your scores drop on?? Many of us saw drops when we began taking the more recent tests.

Either way, if you can afford to, take a few days to a week off. Give your brain a rest. You're not going to forget all that you have learned in a week and it will help if burnout is what you're experiencing.

Most of my high scores were actually in the high 50's, my lowest scores just came on 36-38.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:19 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
gaud wrote:Which tests did you start seeing your scores drop on?? Many of us saw drops when we began taking the more recent tests.

Most of my high scores were actually in the high 50's, my lowest scores just came on 36-38.

Well, IMHO I would say don't worry about it too much then. The tests in the 50's are going to be much more representative of what you'll see on test day. I'd still recommend taking a few days off. Afterwards, take a more recent test and see how you do (I think you may be surprised at how well you will do). I've heard from quite a few people that their highest scores were after taking some time off to let their brain rest (myself included).

jetissent

Postby jetissent » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Like many PTers, I definitely noticed a shift towards harder RC and easier LG in the more recent tests--if you're moving backwards and the lower scores are coming from LG I wouldn't worry about it. Like Gaud said, the most recent tests will be the most representative so if you're doing really well on those don't sweat it.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:24 pm

jetissent wrote:Like many PTers, I definitely noticed a shift towards harder RC and easier LG in the more recent tests--if you're moving backwards and the lower scores are coming from LG I wouldn't worry about it. Like Gaud said, the most recent tests will be the most representative so if you're doing really well on those don't sweat it.

So you think taking a short break would be good, or continue on with my study plan, or just that its really not significant what I do either way at this point?

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 pm

jetissent wrote:Like many PTers, I definitely noticed a shift towards harder RC and easier LG in the more recent tests--if you're moving backwards and the lower scores are coming from LG I wouldn't worry about it. Like Gaud said, the most recent tests will be the most representative so if you're doing really well on those don't sweat it.

The last 5 or so tests have definitely had harder LD (in general), though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”