Seeking 5-month Advice

abcliterate

Seeking 5-month Advice

Postby abcliterate » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm taking the LSAT in June, which means I have about 5 months to prep.
I'm in possession of all the LGs, two bibles (minus reading comprehension), and all PTs.

Bottom line is...I'm freaking out and I have absolutely no clue as to where to even begin.
I'm a full-time student, but have arranged my schedule so that I can best prepare, which means my classes are relatively easy and my Mon, Wed, and Fri are pretty much open. Not stating the obvious Sat and Sun.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 5 month plan?
Thank ya'll so much in advance!

CincinnatusND

Re: Seeking 5-month Advice

Postby CincinnatusND » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:31 pm

A good place to start:

1. Take a diagnostic PT, and time yourself, holding yourself to 35 minutes a section.
2. Go over every wrong answer and analyze where you made your mistake and why the correct response is correct.
3. Take another PT, focus on accuracy and not on speed.
4. Repeat step 2 for your second PT.
5. Take another timed PT, again, at 35 minutes a section. Circle every question that you find difficult while you are taking the test.
6. Analyzing your incorrect responses and the questions you circled and you'll have a good idea of what you need to work on.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:38 pm

CincinnatusND wrote:A good place to start:

1. Take a diagnostic PT, and time yourself, holding yourself to 35 minutes a section.
2. Go over every wrong answer and analyze where you made your mistake and why the correct response is correct.
5. Take another timed PT, again, at 35 minutes a section. Circle every question that you find difficult while you are taking the test.
6. Analyzing your incorrect responses and the questions you circled and you'll have a good idea of what you need to work on.

Before the OP begins taking PTs and trying to analyze the incorrect/difficult questions and answers, s/he should definitely begin by going through the LRB and LGB. If OP has little knowledge as to how to correctly approach the questions, then reviewing tests will be much less effective. For me personally, my diagnostic exam was just to gauge what I needed to work on FIRST as opposed to MOST.

Since you still have several months, I think you ought to check out Pithypike's Study Guide that is pinned at the front page. It is a pretty comprehensive approach.

blink

Postby blink » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 pm

CincinnatusND wrote:A good place to start:

blink

Postby blink » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Before the OP begins taking PTs and trying to analyze the incorrect/difficult questions and answers, s/he should definitely begin by going through the LRB and LGB. If OP has little knowledge as to how to correctly approach the questions, then reviewing tests will be much less effective. For me personally, my diagnostic exam was just to gauge what I needed to work on FIRST as opposed to MOST.

Since you still have several months, I think you ought to check out Pithypike's Study Guide that is pinned at the front page. It is a pretty comprehensive approach.

TCR

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:54 pm

I don't see any value in learning LR and LG techniques from an external source if you are unsure of your internal abilities to do so. Trying to learn a technique may be less effective then using a technique or thought process that comes naturally to you.

I would have hindered my progress by reading one of the bibles.

blink

Postby blink » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:00 pm

CincinnatusND wrote:I don't see any value in learning LR and LG techniques from an external source if you are unsure of your internal abilities to do so. Trying to learn a technique may be less effective then using a technique or thought process that comes naturally to you.

OP should take a diagnostic if he/she wants, but analyzing why each is right or wrong beyond just figuring out which types OP missed is probably not going to do a whole lot. Also, more than one PT before really drilling or nailing down concepts is just a waste. Everyone is different, but Pithypike has worked for many high scorers.

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:12 pm

blink wrote:
CincinnatusND wrote:I don't see any value in learning LR and LG techniques from an external source if you are unsure of your internal abilities to do so. Trying to learn a technique may be less effective then using a technique or thought process that comes naturally to you.

OP should take a diagnostic if he/she wants, but analyzing why each is right or wrong beyond just figuring out which types OP missed is probably not going to do a whole lot. Also, more than one PT before really drilling or nailing down concepts is just a waste. Everyone is different, but Pithypike has worked for many high scorers.

You are right. Everyone is different. I'm biased toward self-teaching; and pithypike's guide is probably better for most people, but not everyone.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Step 1) Quit freaking out its 5 months away, collective TLS knowledge says that's pushing it towards too much time.

2) Take cold PT and see where you stand
3) Buy and read the Powerscore Bibles.
4) PT, PT, PT....you can find a lot of good LSAT study guides on here just look under the LSAt prep section

I'm taking June as well.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:59 pm

blink=+1

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Take diagnostic, depending on what you get on that test and what you are hoping to receive, you might end up just waiting a bit before you actually prepare hardcore. Otherwise, I'd recommend reading a bible or two on the particular sections that you had trouble with before using up any other PTs.

Obviously, acquire as many PTs as possible.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:41 am

Put all the PTs aside except for ones you want to do a rough diagnostic with. I'd say concentrate significantly less on answering questions in time as much as answering them correctly (at first). Speed comes with practice, correct answers come with knowing how to work the problems out. Work on the LRB and LGB first. I, and apparently many other TLSers, have found both these resources to be very helpful.

I'd also mention that I have a friend that's doing the exact opposite -- he's taken roughly 20 PTs now, and his latest score was about 3 points higher than his first test. Not super impressive.

vodkashot

Postby vodkashot » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 pm

The LSAT blog also has study schedules of varying lengths (including 5 months) as well.

proxy

Postby proxy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm trying the LSAT blog 5 month study guide.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/month-ls ... plans.html

Starting today you'd be about 6 days behind so you'd have to catch up, but the first week is going over LG sequencing and basic linear, so assuming you've had prior experience, catching up should be a cake walk.

slsplease

Postby slsplease » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:05 pm

I'd read through the LGB and then take a diagnostic. If you go into the diagnostic without reading about the LG section at all, your score will be artificially low because it is a section that pretty much can't be done until you figure out a diagraming method. That said I do feel like the LR and RC sections are much more intuitive and it will definitely be good to have a point of reference.

That said after you diagnostic don't take another PT for a while and just drill drill drill. Don't focus on your score until you have really figured out each question type. At that point you can start doing PT's and going for speed and accuracy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”