How bad is a low LSAT score the first time around?

d0rklord

How bad is a low LSAT score the first time around?

Postby d0rklord » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Hello!

I was originally scheduled for the Dec LSAT, but i did not study, so i cancelled the night before. Nothing is shown on my LSAC report.

A week or two ago I thought it would be a good idea to sign up for February.... why i do not know.

Needless to say, i have barely started studying. I'm pretty good on games, averaging -0 to -2 but my LR/RC is pretty weak...

There is only 2.5 weeks left to study.

My question is:

Is it worth it, since i've now "wasted" about $300 to just study my ass off for 2.5 weeks, take the Feb just to get a feel for what the test's like and what type of score I'm working with (and have a shot at this cycle-I'm trying to get $$ at a TTT school)... and if I do badly sign up for June 2012 and study...

or. should I just cancel the test date, and wait til June and apply next cycle.

How bad would it look to have a bad Feb 2012 score, but then have a better June 2012 score?

I semi want to take Feb to prove to myself I can do it... I get extreme anxiety just thinking about taking tests (or doing presentations) which is why i think i keep procrastinating on the studying...

My untimed diagnostic was 159. :(

Mal Reynolds

Re: How bad is a low LSAT score the first time around?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:48 pm

This is not really a good plan. But my advice would be to take two or three of the most recent practice tests this week. If you're not happy with an average of those scores, or a few points below them, don't take it in February.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:53 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:This is not really a good plan. But my advice would be to take two or three of the most recent practice tests this week. If you're not happy with an average of those scores, or a few points below them, don't take it in February.

I'm 22 years old... I've been out of college 2 years (I graduated a year early) and all I have done is work as a Legal Secretary (what I also did during undergrad)...

I know deep down I'm still "young" but for some reason I have this feeling of impending doom that I'm getting "very old" and that I'm "wasting my time"... which is why I feel pressure to take Feb... so I can get in this cycle. I don't know why I feel such a rush...

My GPA is pretty bad, 3.01 so I was hoping on scoring high enough on the LSAT to get me a full ride at Southwestern (I know everyone here is going to bag on a TTT school, but for me $$ is the most important part, I don't have 120k... and quite frankly, I DO NOT want to go into debt... and I already have a job after I graduate)...

sigh...

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Well, by the time you applied in late Feb most of the money would probably be gone. But if you are satisfied with your pt scores, then give it a shot. But June retake and early applications might be the way to go. But Idk, just depends on you.

weatherswaysme

Postby weatherswaysme » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:06 pm

doesnt even matter, you dont even need an LSAT anymore http://www.mslaw.edu/Admissions_NoLSAT.htm

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:31 pm

No matter what the rest of your decision is, I would wait to apply until next cycle either way.

As far as taking or not taking February, that's more of a personal decision. It's better to have only one, representative score. However, if test anxiety is a big problem for you, it might be worth taking the exam (and cancelling) in order to get one under your belt. However, realize that a cancel looks (marginally) worse than not taking it, and it will also eat up one of your three-in-two-year administrations, so if you have to retake more than once with a score, you'll be in trouble.

Overall, my recommendation is probably to wait it out until June unless you think you'll have a large, tangible (i.e. represented through a higher score in June) benefit to sitting through the exam once.

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:27 pm

time adds pressure and your practice tests are usually accurate predictors of your actual score. (though i have known people who have done significantly worse on the first test than their PTs, but then again, he got hit by a car the day before the lsat)

keep practicing, cancel the feb, don't wander around unlit streets, and you should be fine

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:40 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

proxy

Postby proxy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:10 pm

weatherswaysme wrote:doesnt even matter, you dont even need an LSAT anymore http://www.mslaw.edu/Admissions_NoLSAT.htm

:shock:

Anyway, an untimed 159 is a good place to start, but without training, that can easily translate to something in the 140s, which is awful. You should adequately prepare for the test and apply early next cycle to maximize your chances for acceptance/scholarships.

Most schools take the highest score now. But there are still some that average. So for those schools, if you get 140 in feb, and retake in June for 160, they look at you like a 150.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:53 pm

II don't think my lower LSAT scores hurt my applications. Of course a low score isn't ideal, but if you score higher the schools are still going to put the weight on the higher one. I don't think theres much evidence for anyone averaging scores, other than maybe YHS.

EDIT: FWIW 159 is much higher than my first recorded LSAT score.

danitt

Postby danitt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:39 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:II don't think my lower LSAT scores hurt my applications. Of course a low score isn't ideal, but if you score higher the schools are still going to put the weight on the higher one. I don't think theres much evidence for anyone averaging scores, other than maybe YHS.

I see from your profile that you crossed 170+ on the second take. How long did you take to regroup between administrations and did you self-study for both?

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:50 pm

danitt wrote:
ColtsFan88 wrote:II don't think my lower LSAT scores hurt my applications. Of course a low score isn't ideal, but if you score higher the schools are still going to put the weight on the higher one. I don't think theres much evidence for anyone averaging scores, other than maybe YHS.

I see from your profile that you crossed 170+ on the second take. How long did you take to regroup between administrations and did you self-study for both?

I took it three times. 2 months between the first two sittings and 10 months between second two. Self study on all.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”