Please Help 142 Actual 163 highest PT

lsatstressed

Please Help 142 Actual 163 highest PT

Postby lsatstressed » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:31 am

I am seeking some advice/ support/ guidance.

To spare you all the details of my life story I have been out of undergrad for 8 years currently working as Director of Business for a small corporation. I make a decent living and my husband and I live comfortably. However, my professional career is very unfulfilling as to why I decide to finally pursue a career in law. In preparing for the October LSAT I took a Kaplan Prep course(the only available in my area) after I took a PT cold/ blind (I will list my scores and dates below.) I canceled my October score and began working with a private tutor in November for the Dec Test. My scores show some inconsistencies but mainly become pretty standard towards the end hence the ultimate SHOCK with a score as awful as a 142.

Note: All PT’s were taken under timed conditions

DATE SCORE
7/8/11 143 Cold/Blind

8/8/11 150
8/9/11 148 Official Diagnostic
9/3/11 146
9/11/11 144
9/20/11 157
9/23/11 153
9/27/11 157
9/28/11 157

Oct. Actual Canceled

10/11/11 158

11/5/11 151 After month of not practicing
11/12/11 159
11/19/11 161
11/26/11 163

12/3/11 142

Has anyone else ever seen such a random drop in scores? Insights? I am hoping to get into a T2 school and am hoping for at least a 161 and would like to retake in June. But what the hell is going on with me!

bp shinners

Re: Please Help 142 Actual 163 highest PT

Postby bp shinners » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:55 pm

That's definitely a weird drop to see - did you check your answer sheet to make sure it wasn't a bubbling error of some type?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:01 pm

bp shinners wrote:That's definitely a weird drop to see - did you check your answer sheet to make sure it wasn't a bubbling error of some type?

+2, Did you miss a ton on LG whereas you don't normally miss that many? It sounds like you should stop taking PTs for a minute and refocus yourself to the questions. If you can't do an un-timed section without missing more than 4 or so, you should focus on drilling and working through questions to understand the underlying fundamentals.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:29 pm

First of all, Kaplan sucks. Not sure if that was part of your problem, but you need to go with Powerscore or Manhattan.

Secondly, I would guess you bumped up against overwhelming time constraints on you actual LSAT. Is that correct? You may need to develop a plan to work faster. In your range, you should not expect to answer every question. If you get stumped, bubble D and move along.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
bp shinners wrote:That's definitely a weird drop to see - did you check your answer sheet to make sure it wasn't a bubbling error of some type?

+2, Did you miss a ton on LG whereas you don't normally miss that many? It sounds like you should stop taking PTs for a minute and refocus yourself to the questions. If you can't do an un-timed section without missing more than 4 or so, you should focus on drilling and working through questions to understand the underlying fundamentals.

Definitely agree with this. You need to start drilling question types to develop a way to approach each question type.

Also, have you reviewed your wrong answers on your PTs? This is crucial. As many others will tell you, you need to review each question you had trouble with in addition to each question you got wrong. Understand why each correct answer is correct, why the incorrect answers are incorrect, and understand why you missed the questions.

Also, Kaplan sucks. I would recommend Powerscore and Manhattan prep books.

lsatstressed

Postby lsatstressed » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks guys for all the advice so far. As far as a bubbling error, I dont think so. I know this sounds awful but after I got my score I quickly checked for that but haven't gone over the test question for question.

I did do poorly on LG but I expected that. I panicked during the test and missed some easy questions. As far as LR I was shocked. I usually averaged no more than 5 wrong but I completely bombed each section.

I was forewarned about Kaplan, but it was the only prep class available in my area. I have purchased the power score bibles since then.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 am

lsatstressed wrote:Thanks guys for all the advice so far. As far as a bubbling error, I dont think so. I know this sounds awful but after I got my score I quickly checked for that but haven't gone over the test question for question.

I did do poorly on LG but I expected that. I panicked during the test and missed some easy questions. As far as LR I was shocked. I usually averaged no more than 5 wrong but I completely bombed each section.

I was forewarned about Kaplan, but it was the only prep class available in my area. I have purchased the power score bibles since then.

Dude, I took Kaplan and hated it. I wish you could have spent that money on a private tutor or something.

As far as your score today, I think that it is a statistical outlier. But you can take from this and just push harder. You can easily test into the high 150's as you've done before, and I think that you can even do better. You need to get back into it and stay consistent. Make a schedule and stick to it like a job. You can't be taking time off all of the time.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:28 am

lsatstressed wrote:Thanks guys for all the advice so far. As far as a bubbling error, I dont think so. I know this sounds awful but after I got my score I quickly checked for that but haven't gone over the test question for question.

Good deal. The Powerscore books should raise your scores significantly, though some of the diagramming in the Powerscore LG is a bit unnecessarily complicated.

Drill specific question types, then review your PTs in depth.

Good luck.

I would also check out Manhattan's books. Esp for RC.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:39 am

I definitely agree with others about shaking it off. It's one score. Anyone who tells you they didn't have a clunker test is lying or hasn't practiced enough.

It sounds like the biggest thing you need to work on right now is time management and simply getting comfortable with the test questions. It can take a long time. For me it took three test cycles and two lousy scores before I stopped panicking about questions.

The most important thing is to not let it get you too far down, to breathe easy, and keep on plugging at your schedule. Find out what happened, adapt and work on your mistakes, and continue to improve.

Incubateus

Postby Incubateus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:51 am

I've taken the powerscore class and gone over all of the bibles (the class materials include more than the bibles but I've gone over both, plus I had a tutor from Kaplan teaching me that method). I started at a 156, dropped to a 154 and ended up with my only real score as a 163. It was good enough for me. My highest PT score was a 160. My advice would be this (btw I also used the curvebreakers logic games book, which was the best). Use the curve breakers for logic games -- and supplement the missing pieces with powerscore. Use the powerscore method for logical reasoning. For the reading comp I would combine the powerscore bible and and the kaplan circling method. By the time I reached the test I had finally secured a method that would have worked for me. I had a perfect logic games section, -7 or -8 on RC and -5 or so on the LR. If I would have retaken I would have been able to drop my time and probably would have scored around 170 or so.

The other big deal I learned: spread your practice out. I would do one or two timed sections per night 6 or 7 times per week. Do not try to cram. Also, taking time off before the real test helped my score drastically.

This is just my two cents. I'm sure every one is different.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”