What's the best thing to do with spare time?

afnaidel

What's the best thing to do with spare time?

Postby afnaidel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm taking the February test, and I've been studying for quite a while.
And I think I reached the point where my score really depends on the mental endurance and, sometimes, luck.

For the last one week, I took:

PT 3X: 172 (not sure about the exact number, but took it during afternoon and I was tired after taking several UG classes)
PT 47: 169 (was late in the afternoon and I felt very tired - after several classes. Really messed up the RC section...)
PT 52: 176 (with experimental section, normal condition in the morning)
PT 53: 180 (afternoon... but I took PT53 previously so I think I remembered the ones I got wrong and knew what to look for).

At this point, the questions I get wrong are almost always because of pure mistakes - I missed a key word in the passage, etc.
So it seems like as long as I can keep my condition good, I would be able to score 170+.

Right now my plan is continue taking prep tests (I still haven't taken most of 5X and 6X.) to keep my condition and mental endurance up.
But the problem is - I don't really have time for a full prep test, especially with the additional experimental section.

I really only have Saturday and Sunday to do a timed, full prep test with the experimental section (and there are only 6 Saturdays and Sundays until the test).
For weekdays, I barely have time to take a prep test with 4 sections.

But I do have a lot of spare time between classes and work (30 min to 2 hrs).
I've been during reviews of prep tests I took, but because most of my wrong answers come from pure mistakes, they don't really have actual benefit.

So... does anyone have an idea on how to use spare time, especially regarding strengthening mental endurance?

fashiongirl

Re: What's the best thing to do with spare time?

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Timed sections. Boom.

afnaidel

Postby afnaidel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention that prep test 50's and 60's are the only ones that I haven't touched at all.

I want to save PT 50's and 60's for full simulated tests, so I don't really have enough materials to do timed sections individually.

And re-doing sections from the ones I already took wouldn't be helpful.
I guess my memory is better than my reasoning skill - when I re-do the test, I tend to remember what I did wrong pretty well, so I tend to breeze through and pick the answers according to what I remember, not by actually solving the problems. As a result, re-doing the ones I already took doesn't really seem to help me in terms of mental endurance.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:30 pm

afnaidel wrote:Sorry, I forgot to mention that prep test 50's and 60's are the only ones that I haven't touched at all.

I want to save PT 50's and 60's for full simulated tests, so I don't really have enough materials to do timed sections individually.

And re-doing sections from the ones I already took wouldn't be helpful.
I guess my memory is better than my reasoning skill - when I re-do the test, I tend to remember what I did wrong pretty well, so I tend to breeze through and pick the answers according to what I remember, not by actually solving the problems. As a result, re-doing the ones I already took doesn't really seem to help me in terms of mental endurance.

Just an FYI, I found the tests from 50 and on were different than the previous ones. I felt as if the LG got easier, while the LR got trickier, albeit not necessarily harder.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:19 pm

I have a problem similar to yours, although the cause may be different. Occasionally I will come across questions that are so similar to previously answered questions that I will essentially skim the 2nd part of the question and miss a key word like "new" (as in 'new CDs' rather than 'all CDs'). If I only have 10-30 minutes, or am somewhere that is inhospitable to taking timed sections (like a bus), I will just go through old preptests and circle the types of key words that I have a tendency to overlook. This not only trains my brain to recognize problems where this may be a potential pitfall, but the technique can be used on the test if you choose because it takes virtually no time or brainpower to circle one word. If you can relate, then I would try it a couple times and see if you find it useful.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”