Recommendations on raising very low LSAT score

mk9788

Recommendations on raising very low LSAT score

Postby mk9788 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 pm

I took the Dec 2011 LSAT test and did not do very well at all. I took a two month prep course with testmasters and studied on my own and still received a 147 on the actual test. I've been studying on my own since then trying to prepare for the Feb 2012 test. I've been taking practice tests but can't seem to get higher than a 148. Has anyone experienced any problems like this? Any recommendations on what to do/how to study?

PurplePirate

Re: Recommendations on raising very low LSAT score

Postby PurplePirate » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Did you attend every class in your prep course? Did you do all of the homework? Did you review each question you got right/wrong until you understood exactly why it is you got it right/wrong?

taboo

Postby taboo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:40 pm

What materials are you using to study on your own? Are you using the Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bibles from Powerscore? If not, think you should because because they help immensely. Also, are you able to postpone taking the LSAT again until June. By doing this you'd be able to follow Pithypike's LSAT Prep guide. If not, then one of the most important things to do is take practice tests and go over every answer you got wrong and right and make sure you understand why.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:49 pm

I think my biggest "issue" to overcome with the LSAT is to recognize that there is one answer that is 100% right, and the other ones are 100% wrong. I know others have issues with running out of time, or losing focus on reading comp. If those are problems for you, find ways to overcome them. So simple, and yet, so complex. ;)

Honestly, don't take the Feb LSAT. Study more, wait for June. What's the point? If you got a 147, PTing at a 148, are you really expecting that in a few weeks, you'll magically jump up to 160+? Skip it. Study it up, take the June, and possibly the October if you want to.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 pm

From someone who started at 142 I think I know exactly what your problem is and how to help resolve it.

1) You need to get the Power Score bibles and grind out games. After a while it will come to you. The logic games are the most learnable aspect of the test.

2) I imagine your biggest problems in Logic Reasoning are two fold. The first is that you have not grasped the fundamentals of Sufficiency and Necessary. The other is that you don't really understand what the language in the questions "means". What I mean by this is that you are thinking of words like Some, Many, Most, etc. in a day to day context. In the test they have a very specific meaning. Luckily the bibles have individual chapters dedicated to the aforementioned issues.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 pm

mk9788 wrote:I took the Dec 2011 LSAT test and did not do very well at all. I took a two month prep course with testmasters and studied on my own and still received a 147 on the actual test. I've been studying on my own since then trying to prepare for the Feb 2012 test. I've been taking practice tests but can't seem to get higher than a 148. Has anyone experienced any problems like this? Any recommendations on what to do/how to study?

What are your specific problems? Running out of time? Do you feel like you're guessing a lot or are you confident about what turns out to be the wrong answer? What's your weakest section?

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:01 pm

This sounds familiar. I started with a 143 and took Testmasters when I first graduated from college. Went to class sporadically and never did HW. Needless to say my score stayed at 143. The LSAT is something you can't take shortcuts around (you actually have to put effort into it) and it definitely can't be studied for like any other undergraduate class. You need to drill questions by question type in order to see the patterns and get used to the questions and answer choices. But first you do need to know all the sufficient/necessary, quantifiers, flaw types, and question types. I took Blueprint a year later, and fully forced myself to commit by going to each class and doing every hw problem. I raised my score by over 20 points but on the actual test day I increased by 17 points. If you found Testmasters too dry or boring, I'd highly recommend Blueprint because they keep you engaged. Definitely do NOT take the Feb test. Study and aim for June.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:51 pm

hoos89 wrote:I think that if it is a matter of speed, you may be able to do something about your score. In other words, if you could take a test with no time limit and do substantially better, then it is a matter of figuring out strategies to help you answer more quickly.

If, on the other hand, it is a problem of reasoning in that you legitimately don't know the answers to them then it could be that you just aren't made out for it. I know it's not something people like to hear but i doubt more than a handful of people who ever started out testing in the 140s went on to score high enough to land in a T1 besides URMs.

People who get 170s just naturally think like that, and if you don't you might not be happy or successful as a lawyer. For people who do well on the LSAT, practicing is about learning the TEST not the actual reasoning behind it (for instance, knowing what questions to expect and having a good feeling of the timing required so that they can pace themselves properly and minimize unanswered questions) You've taken a course and if you really have studied as much as you say with little to no improvement, I suggest that you seriously consider whether this is really the best path for you to pursue.

No. All of this is incorrect.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:29 pm

/

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”