Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby jared6180 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:56 am

I am a little frustrated with the Pre-Law program at my UG. I get an email today from my advisor, and he is telling me that the best person he can come up with for private tutoring scored in the 90th percentile. At first glance that sounded good, I was thinking 170+, then I google it and I find a conversion chart on alpha score...http://www.alpha-score.com/resources/ls ... onversion/ that puts the 90th percentile at a 164! I can't get into the schools I want to get into with a 164, are you flippin kidding me? For the first 60-75 seconds after I got the email I felt relieved that there was someone in Kansas that did "well" on the LSAT, only to find that he couldn't even get into my goal schools, so he is really not much help to me at all. My goal is the 99th percentile, but at least the 96th.

This is just amazing.

KingsBench
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:21 am

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby KingsBench » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 am

I don't really know why other people's scores are relevant - just self-study and keep motivated and ace it.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 am


User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:05 am

tutors are almost exclusively of value for those that are having trouble breaking 150. My UG's prelaw adviser had no knowledge of anything other than the fact that he didn't know much and could point me in the right direction. TLS is a far better resource than anything 99.999999% of UGs can offer

nsbane
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby nsbane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 am

Testmasters. All teachers score in the 98th percentile.

User avatar
Errzii
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 am

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby Errzii » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:30 am

TBF, if it's free you should be happy to get something at all. Some prep courses will charge you upwards of 1000$ for the same instructor. At any rate, most UG "pre-law" programs are pretty terrible and you really shouldn't expect too much. Many of them are especially clueless when it comes to the law schools admission process and can even be horribly misinformed (I met a UG advisor once that told everyone "anyone with a 170+ is a guarantee for Harvard"). "Doing it yourself" both in terms of prepping for the LSAT and researching schools you want to apply to will usually yield better results.

jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby jared6180 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:48 am

Errzii wrote:TBF, if it's free you should be happy to get something at all. Some prep courses will charge you upwards of 1000$ for the same instructor. At any rate, most UG "pre-law" programs are pretty terrible and you really shouldn't expect too much. Many of them are especially clueless when it comes to the law schools admission process and can even be horribly misinformed (I met a UG advisor once that told everyone "anyone with a 170+ is a guarantee for Harvard"). "Doing it yourself" both in terms of prepping for the LSAT and researching schools you want to apply to will usually yield better results.


The tutor he suggested is not free, but under $50/hr. I guess I expected a pre-law program to know what is going on. Kind of concerns me. Then again, I had a huge FLAG go up a year ago when the same individual told me that I just needed a 152 to get in, and besides the ivy league schools there was not much difference from one to the next.

I know the schools I would like to get into, and 164 won't cut it, and 168 will barely get me in at WUSTL, I really would feel better at a 172+.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby Rawlberto » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:00 am

You may not have the numbers for an Ivy but you certainly have the sense of entitlement.

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:03 am

KingsBench wrote: just self-study and keep motivated and ace it.

HWS08
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby HWS08 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:31 am

WTF? Why do you need a tutor? I studied alone and got well above what your tutor got. Just study on your own or take a PowerScore class. My UG barely even had a pre-law program, and I never participated in it because I didn't decide to go to law school until after UG. What exactly are they supposed to do that will be helpful to you?

jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby jared6180 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Rawlberto wrote:You may not have the numbers for an Ivy but you certainly have the sense of entitlement.


Not sure how you read that into what I am saying. I am about as far away from an entitlement mentality as it gets. I don't expect to just slip into Harvard because I am me. Are you nuts? It takes work to get where you want to go, and if it doesn't you didn't have high enough goals, that is my attitude towards law school and life period.

HWS08 wrote:WTF? Why do you need a tutor? I studied alone and got well above what your tutor got. Just study on your own or take a PowerScore class. My UG barely even had a pre-law program, and I never participated in it because I didn't decide to go to law school until after UG. What exactly are they supposed to do that will be helpful to you?


With already having a family nobody understands that Dad needs an hour or two a day to be alone or at least quiet in the house. I get 15 minutes into studying and SOMETHING needs my attention, it's that way in the morning, at 7pm, 11pm, even at 3am. My house is crazy, and having an obligation to someone else or a course would be the only way I can see around it. I wish I would have done this when I was 22-24 and single.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 pm

jared6180 wrote:
Rawlberto wrote:You may not have the numbers for an Ivy but you certainly have the sense of entitlement.


Not sure how you read that into what I am saying. I am about as far away from an entitlement mentality as it gets. I don't expect to just slip into Harvard because I am me. Are you nuts? It takes work to get where you want to go, and if it doesn't you didn't have high enough goals, that is my attitude towards law school and life period.

HWS08 wrote:WTF? Why do you need a tutor? I studied alone and got well above what your tutor got. Just study on your own or take a PowerScore class. My UG barely even had a pre-law program, and I never participated in it because I didn't decide to go to law school until after UG. What exactly are they supposed to do that will be helpful to you?


With already having a family nobody understands that Dad needs an hour or two a day to be alone or at least quiet in the house. I get 15 minutes into studying and SOMETHING needs my attention, it's that way in the morning, at 7pm, 11pm, even at 3am. My house is crazy, and having an obligation to someone else or a course would be the only way I can see around it. I wish I would have done this when I was 22-24 and single.
Just leave the house for an hour. Go to the library or a coffee shop.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Rawlberto wrote:You may not have the numbers for an Ivy but you certainly have the sense of entitlement.


+1

lulz at the irony of quoting this.

You don't need a tutor.

HWS08
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Frustrated with my UG Pre-Law

Postby HWS08 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:01 pm

jared6180 wrote:
Rawlberto wrote:You may not have the numbers for an Ivy but you certainly have the sense of entitlement.


Not sure how you read that into what I am saying. I am about as far away from an entitlement mentality as it gets. I don't expect to just slip into Harvard because I am me. Are you nuts? It takes work to get where you want to go, and if it doesn't you didn't have high enough goals, that is my attitude towards law school and life period.

HWS08 wrote:WTF? Why do you need a tutor? I studied alone and got well above what your tutor got. Just study on your own or take a PowerScore class. My UG barely even had a pre-law program, and I never participated in it because I didn't decide to go to law school until after UG. What exactly are they supposed to do that will be helpful to you?


With already having a family nobody understands that Dad needs an hour or two a day to be alone or at least quiet in the house. I get 15 minutes into studying and SOMETHING needs my attention, it's that way in the morning, at 7pm, 11pm, even at 3am. My house is crazy, and having an obligation to someone else or a course would be the only way I can see around it. I wish I would have done this when I was 22-24 and single.


Didn't see you have a family, that makes it more difficult I'm sure. Still, I don't see why you can't just go to a public library or something for a couple hours and focus there. Maybe even get a study buddy instead of a paid tutor if you feel like you need to have someone else to hold you accountable. One of my parents got a Masters and PhD while we were kids and that was what worked - leaving the house so there aren't any distractions.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Google [Bot], greatspirit, VMars and 5 guests