Biggest drops for 170+ PTers

bernaldiaz

Re: Biggest drops for 170+ PTers

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:08 pm

outlookingin wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I'm not sure if I get more nervous hearing about the drops or more peeved from hearing about the jumpers and knowing it won't happen to me. This thread was not my best idea.

Nah man this is pretty fascinating/frightening. I like what the earlier poster said about paying less attention to your low and high scores and more attention to your average and variance. I'm going to get consistent!!! Like chocolate cake frosting... mmmm... (my girlfriend is making a cake right now--yes!)

Also to do:

--Test with 32 min. sections
--Test with 5+ sections
--Test in busy libraries

The only problem with this (correct me if I am wrong) is that our PT scores will actually be off-whack, right? It will low-ball what we are capable of... buuuut maybe that's a good thing. Hold us back from hubris and shit.

Is the consensus that the old practice tests are harder than the current exams?

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:09 pm

No, the old exams are waaaaay easier. Especially reading comp.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:11 pm

outlookingin wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I'm not sure if I get more nervous hearing about the drops or more peeved from hearing about the jumpers and knowing it won't happen to me. This thread was not my best idea.

Nah man this is pretty fascinating/frightening. I like what the earlier poster said about paying less attention to your low and high scores and more attention to your average and variance. I'm going to get consistent!!! Like chocolate cake frosting... mmmm... (my girlfriend is making a cake right now--yes!)

Also to do:

--Test with 32 min. sections
--Test with 5+ sections
--Test in busy libraries

The only problem with this (correct me if I am wrong) is that our PT scores will actually be off-whack, right? It will low-ball what we are capable of... buuuut maybe that's a good thing. Hold us back from hubris and shit.

I did all those things and still underperformed my lowest PT by 1 pt and my avg by about 4. Sometimes you just have a bad day. The key to being happy with your score I think is to make sure you're consistently PTing about 5 points above the score you'd settle for. If you're only PTing right at your target and you do drop a few points, you'll be disappointed.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:12 pm

Simplicity wrote:No, the old exams are waaaaay easier. Especially reading comp.

Yeah that's why I was confused when he said that the old exams will lowball our potential

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:18 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:

Yeah that's why I was confused when he said that the old exams will lowball our potential

I felt RC was easier but games were harder.

I think he meant practicing in loud libraries and testing with 32 minute sections would lowball your potential.

outlookingin

Postby outlookingin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:46 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

I felt RC was easier but games were harder.

I think he meant practicing in loud libraries and testing with 32 minute sections would lowball your potential.

Yeah sorry what Splitter said is what I meant. Regardless of which PT you're taking, if you're taking it with 32 min sections and all that it'll give us a lowball indicator of what we're capable of. Our averages will be skewed.

Maybe one way to deal with this would be to take half of all PTs under these "stressed" conditions and then the other half under "normal" constraints. If we managed to take 15 of each then I think both needs would be satisfied--the need to push and stress ourselves and also the need to accurately measure and feel good about ourselves.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm a jumper.

Other than a cold proctored diagnostic test before I'd ever looked at an LSAT question (scored 151 on that virgin run) and two other timed practice tests spread out weeks apart during the summer I prepped, I took nine timed practice tests in the last two weeks before test day.

My average score on those nine tests in the last two weeks was 168-169. Only hit or broke 170 on three of them (highest practice test score 171) due to getting lucky with blind guesses on the fourth logic game because I was having trouble getting to all the questions before time ran out for the section. Scored 165-166 on a few of them.

Hit 177 on test day.

One of the things that helped was conditions I took the practice tests in. I was living in an apartment on a golf course in a tiny bedroom that only had room for a really small desk by the window overlooking the 18th hole. Every morning during the time I took them (started section one at roughly 9:30 a.m.) the giant golf course lawnmower mowed the green and the rough right outside my window, taking at least two hours to do it.

That beast of a machine (think giant, at least fifteen feet across set of mowing blades) was super frigging loud, to the level that you could not have a phone call, hear the TV or anyone in the same room yelling at you from feet away. It made it super hard to concentrate but I pushed through without resorting to earplugs.

On test-day I enjoyed the blissful silence and sailed through the sections relaxed/pretty much stress free.

Including the timed practice ones, to get ready for the LSAT I used a grand total of about 22 or 23 PrepTests and analyzed/dissected every one of them in detail in slow motion (after having taken them with the timed ones).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”