Do all new games feature a crazy hard game now?

notaznguy

Do all new games feature a crazy hard game now?

Postby notaznguy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 pm

I've only take 3 tests from PT 55 - PT 63, but I realized at least in the ones I've taken, there are some crazy games now. For instance, Dinosaur game, Mulch and Stones, Interns, Stained Glass.

Are these type of games pretty much going to be on the LSATs now? Compared to the games I did in the 40s and early 50s, these games are ridiculously hard. I'm almost 100% I am going to be f*cked if I get a game like Dino, Interns, or Stained Glass. The mulch and stones turned out to be easy, but when I saw it for the first time, I freaked out because I had never seen anything like it.

Scotusnerd

Re: Do all new games feature a crazy hard game now?

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 am

They also cut down on the number of super inferences that solve everything. There are a lot of games where you have to 'brute force' and simply plug in variables until some work now. They're not really harder, but they do take more time...

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 am

notaznguy wrote:Compared to the games I did in the 40s and early 50s, these games are ridiculously hard.

Maybe, but I thought the games in the 30s were the most challenging. I did 30s PTs twice since games were a weakness for me.

Fyo'Couch

Postby Fyo'Couch » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 am

Scotusnerd wrote:They also cut down on the number of super inferences that solve everything. There are a lot of games where you have to 'brute force' and simply plug in variables until some work now. They're not really harder, but they do take more time...

This.

Having done all the games in sequence several times, I does seem the 30's are the hardest, with a general trend towards less "pattern" games. As such, I have found it useful to alter my approach. While with older games it was useful to create templates to account for a limited range of scenarios, I find the newer games less conducive to this method. As the posters above suggested, spend your time attacking individual answer choices with the newer games, rather than looking for super-inferences that solve the game before you start. This should save you the extra time needed with the 'brute force' approach. Good luck.

kertz

Postby kertz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Sort of. Stained glass. Bikes. Mulch/Stones. To a lesser extent, TV shows. These are all games that threw a lot of people off.

That said, these games aren't especially difficult. I think the reason people get thrown off is that these games don't have any exact corollaries with past games. They're not as wild as pattern games, but they have some key difference that makes them unique.

I think LSAC has recognized that people prep for the games a lot and thinks that many of us can easily put away games that are just different versions of things in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. I think they're right. Luckily though, from what I've noticed, 3/4 of the games on the recent tests still mimic some game from before, so just be prepared to blast through those games in 5-7 minutes so you have a good 10 minutes for the weird game. Also, be prepared -- you may have to abandon your pattern recognition skills for that one weird game, and instead rely on your own wits.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 pm

kertz wrote:Sort of. Stained glass. Bikes. Mulch/Stones. To a lesser extent, TV shows. These are all games that threw a lot of people off.

That said, these games aren't especially difficult. I think the reason people get thrown off is that these games don't have any exact corollaries with past games. They're not as wild as pattern games, but they have some key difference that makes them unique.

I think LSAC has recognized that people prep for the games a lot and thinks that many of us can easily put away games that are just different versions of things in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. I think they're right. Luckily though, from what I've noticed, 3/4 of the games on the recent tests still mimic some game from before, so just be prepared to blast through those games in 5-7 minutes so you have a good 10 minutes for the weird game. Also, be prepared -- you may have to abandon your pattern recognition skills for that one weird game, and instead rely on your own wits.

Wow that just sucks. If they always feature an unconventional game now, I really do think I'm going to be fucked. I just took PT 54 and got -0 on LG. But man when I took PT 60, I bombed the whole fucking thing. The mulch and stone game threw me off so much cause I wasn't really sure how to tackle it (and I misread a rule) and then ended up having little time to do the interns game, which takes freaking forever.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Your answered your problem in your own writing. You missed a rule.

Read everything extremely carefully on the test, and know how to translate it. That is the most important thing you can do! :D

Take a deep breath and stop freaking out, seriously. You are not going to win with a '90 or nothing' attitude. You have to allow yourself mistakes, and you have to be able to understand why they happen and how to deal with them.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Your answered your problem in your own writing. You missed a rule.

Read everything extremely carefully on the test, and know how to translate it. That is the most important thing you can do! :D

Take a deep breath and stop freaking out, seriously. You are not going to win with a '90 or nothing' attitude. You have to allow yourself mistakes, and you have to be able to understand why they happen and how to deal with them.

But that's the thing though. The games on PT 54 were pretty "traditional/normal" by standards. There wasn't anything funny about it. PT 60 however was just....weird. I'm just worried that if I get a "weird" game I'm going to get screwed hard because it will make me even more nervous. I guess I just have to expect that there will be a curveball of some kind thrown at me.

God I hope I don't have 2 LG sections, or worse, 2 consecutive LG sections. BTW, the thing that makes me worried about LG is that you will know if you got an answer right or wrong. With LR and RC, it's more like, "I'm pretty sure I got it right, but who knows for sure."

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Then you need to stop thinking of the games in that way. Approach each one individually without a preconception of its difficulty. Attack it as a problem that needs to be solved, in a length of time. Don't consider one more difficult than others, but simply figure out the variables, rule set and then write them down and solve it for each question.

Another thing that might help is this: if you messed up on it, chances are so did a LOT of other people. You're not aiming for the stars, man. What you want to do is completely within your grasp, but you have to practice and get comfortable with it. It sounds like you know the material, you just need to practice it enough to be proficient and comfortable with it.

If you have one section that goes wrong on a PT, figure out how and why it went wrong, solve it, and move on to the next one. Don't dwell on it and freak out. Don't assume that it's because of your incompetance, which is the undercurrent I'm getting from your posts.

What you need to be asking yourself isn't 'why am I doing bad on LG'. You need to be asking 'why did I have problems on this specific LG'? Read back up on the stuff that tripped you up, and solve that. Move on to the next one. Eventually you'll build up a repertoire of problem-solving skills that will allow you to deal with any situation like the one you're describing now.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:52 pm

very solid advice ^^

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”