Teaching a Test Prep Course

Opie

Teaching a Test Prep Course

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Sorry if this has been addressed. I did a search, but didn't see anything.

I know I have seen people on here that have taught test prep courses before, so I am hoping you can help me out. I never considered this as an employment option because TLS makes me think my score isn't stellar (you guys are SMART!).

BUT, I recently found out that Kaplan doesn't require 99th percentile scores. It just so happens that I'm recently unemployed, and I found an ad for a Kaplan instructor. I know they have a bad rep here, and I'm not a huge fan, but I need money. What can you tell me?

Things I'm most interested in:

What's it like to teach one of these courses?

How much do they pay?

Is it excruciatingly bad to work for them?

cinephile

Re: Teaching a Test Prep Course

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:39 pm

I taught for Princeton and I really liked it. After you teach the first course, it's not bad at all. But prepping all the questions (both in class and homework, in case students have questions on those) takes a long time is was paid at only $8/hr compared to $20-something/hr for class time.

My experience was that you go through a weekend training course where you basically see all the lessons taught by a trainer, then you teach them back in front of the training group. If you take diligent notes during the training, that helps for your own courses. Also, we had material available online regarding how to teach each session, how much time to spend on each subject, etc.

Overall, I liked it and would do it again if it worked with my schedule.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:43 pm

PM'd

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:44 pm

I would definitely apply. Kaplan doesn't have a great rep on these forums, but that's generally their reputation among students. I can't think of any complaints I've heard from Kaplan employees. They pay less than their competitors, but also don't have strict score requirements, so that makes sense.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks guys! Gaud, got your PM, working on a response.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”