Taking the June LSAT to Appeal rejections --- any ideas?

azbycxdd

Taking the June LSAT to Appeal rejections --- any ideas?

Postby azbycxdd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard of this trick where you wait until all your application decisions have been made, and then you register for the June LSAT and appeal rejections? I know one kid who used this method to get into Berkeley, had a 163 and then got a 170 and appealed his rejection.

What do people think of this? Any downsides? If there are no downsides I don't see how it could hurt to try...

Thanks

gaud

Re: Taking the June LSAT to Appeal rejections --- any ideas?

Postby gaud » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:10 pm

serious?

azbycxdd

Postby azbycxdd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:11 pm

Yes very serious. I don't see why it wouldn't be...

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

I've never heard of anything like that. Not saying it's not possible, but I'd assume a person would be rather bold appealing a rejection.

I don't see any real downside to it unless you plan on reapplying if they reject your appeal; they may not like the fact that you appealed their decision the first time around.

azbycxdd

Postby azbycxdd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Yeah. I know it's a longshot. I just heard of it because I know someone who actually did it and it worked out for them. He said you just email the dean and say:

"School X is still my top choice law school. In light of my improved LSAT score I would like to appeal my rejection at school X blah blah"

I think I'll do it, unless I hear some huge reason not to.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 pm

I was thinking I could do this too, but possibly to get off waitlists. I applied/am applying late (this month) in the cycle and I probably will get waitlisted at a few schools, so why not just retake in June. If I don't get off the WLs then the worst case is that I'll reapply early next cycle.

Guillaume9

Postby Guillaume9 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm planning to take the June LSAT as well. I'm just wondering whether it's legit/ reasonable to pay the deposit to one school first, and then decide not to go, and reapply next cycle because of an improved LSAT?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Guillaume9 wrote:I'm planning to take the June LSAT as well. I'm just wondering whether it's legit/ reasonable to pay the deposit to one school first, and then decide not to go, and reapply next cycle because of an improved LSAT?

Possible, not very reasonable. Assuming it would be at least $250 why wouldn't you just save it? I say that become often times if someone is considering retaking they normally do.. So instead of that hassle you could just save that money for applications next cycle.

The school also may not take it too kindly (the whole accepting, withdrawing, reapplying nonsense). If you are doing it for more scholly $$ then you can let the admissions office know and they may work with you on it. I was in your situation last cycle and the admissions office at the school I was considering said that they would adjust scholarship money accordingly if I wanted to put the deposit down and still retake the LSAT (it was near deadline time)

Guillaume9

Postby Guillaume9 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:34 pm

gaud wrote:
Guillaume9 wrote:I'm planning to take the June LSAT as well. I'm just wondering whether it's legit/ reasonable to pay the deposit to one school first, and then decide not to go, and reapply next cycle because of an improved LSAT?

Possible, not very reasonable. Assuming it would be at least $250 why wouldn't you just save it? I say that become often times if someone is considering retaking they normally do.. So instead of that hassle you could just save that money for applications next cycle.

The school also may not take it too kindly (the whole accepting, withdrawing, reapplying nonsense). If you are doing it for more scholly $$ then you can let the admissions office know and they may work with you on it. I was in your situation last cycle and the admissions office at the school I was considering said that they would adjust scholarship money accordingly if I wanted to put the deposit down and still retake the LSAT (it was near deadline time)

I'm paying the deposit just in case my LSAT drops (which is still possible). So that I'm safe either way my LSAT goes. Do you mind telling me the school willing to reconsider the scholarship? It seems like I'm probably going to a school within the same range of ranking.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Guillaume9, I PM'd you

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:08 pm

heard it happen to waitlisted people before, but never rejected people

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:38 am

interesting approach. good luck in june!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:43 am

Liquox wrote:heard it happen to waitlisted people before, but never rejected people

Yeah, I'm suspicious of the story here. Not saying the OP is making it up; but I think there was a fundamental disconnect at some point, telephone game-style. I don't want to say this has never happened (because that's not something of which I'm sure), but I've asked around after a story like this first popped up and no one who works in the LSAT prep community to whom I've talked has heard of it, either.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:46 am

Do you guys think scholarship money can be significantly boosted due to a strong June LSAT score? I'm sure this depends on the school, but will going from below median to above median be helpful for funding if one is on the WL or accepted sans scholarship?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 am

Geneva wrote:Do you guys think scholarship money can be significantly boosted due to a strong June LSAT score? I'm sure this depends on the school, but will going from below median to above median be helpful for funding if one is on the WL or accepted sans scholarship?

It certainly won't hurt.

Honestly, by that time, many schools have made up the majority of their scholarship decisions. There's only so much money they allocate to that stuff. While they keep some in reserve in case they want to entice someone who drastically improves on the LSAT, you're still arguing from a disadvantaged position.

Add to that that you've probably already withdrawn from a number of schools and sent in a LOCI saying that you'd love to go there/they're your #1 choice, and the school has a lot more power than they did if you applied with that score in October.

In short, you're in a better position than you would be without that score; however, it's not a strong bargaining position, and I wouldn't expect much scholarship money. Not that it's unheard of, but it's also not likely.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”