My Dream: Score 173 and Become .... LSAT Tutor!

tomwatts

Re: My Dream: Score 173 and Become .... LSAT Tutor!

Postby tomwatts » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:40 pm

--ImageRemoved--

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:59 pm

people are afraid to take an lsat because they fear their diagnostic score won't match their prediction. it's an ego thing where valuing the ego is more important than creating a better reality.

--dr phil

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:42 am

snehpets wrote:
suspicious android wrote:I wouldn't use the books yet either.. just spend a few more days thinking about the LSAT in an abstract way.. maybe make a few more posts about your experience.

lol.

anyway, why not score a 173 and become a lawyer instead?

also, I scored a 173 and I feel extremely unqualified to tutor anyone, so I hope your experience differs from mine.

I am sure that you can be an effective tutor. But I agree that the high score is not everything. Some people are just not meant to teach anybody.

On the other hand, some people with low scores can be excellent teachers. If we consider a hypothetical tutor who is slow at reading and scores 160 timed, but 170+ with extra 15 min per section, why can't he be a good tutor?

BTW, I have some teaching and tutoring experience (sciences). So this may help me when/if I embark on LSAT tutoring.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 am

The 160 guy would be an awful tutor. You're gonna be able to get ppl if ur really cheap but likely the cheap uncommitted type who'll start with a 130, and not really study. What's concening is you haven't even taken a test so you may read to some as a bit odd.

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:02 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:The 160 guy would be an awful tutor. You're gonna be able to get ppl if ur really cheap but likely the cheap uncommitted type who'll start with a 130, and not really study. What's concening is you haven't even taken a test so you may read to some as a bit odd.

I have to disagree here. You believe that a tutor has always to score higher than his student to be effective. What do you say about the super-athletes who clearly run faster than their coaches?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 am

LSAT_Tutor wrote:
AriGoldButNicer wrote:The 160 guy would be an awful tutor. You're gonna be able to get ppl if ur really cheap but likely the cheap uncommitted type who'll start with a 130, and not really study. What's concening is you haven't even taken a test so you may read to some as a bit odd.

I have to disagree here. You believe that a tutor has always to score higher than his student to be effective. What do you say about the super-athletes who clearly run faster than their coaches?

In order to train a runner you need to have a greater knowledge, which isn't judged by speed. But, in order to teach the LSAT you need have have a greater knowledge of the LSAT, which is basically 100% correlated to LSAT score.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:39 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:42 pm

hoos89 wrote:
LSAT_Tutor wrote:

That is a terrible analogy.

Terrible is a nice way of putting it....that was probably the worst analogy I have ever seen....ever...the analogy should, by itself, disqualify you from being a tutor

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

LSAT_Tutor wrote:

I cannot yet determine if you are a flame/troll aiming to be one of the top ten jackwagon TLS posters of 2012 or if you are serious and should be given a dumb-a$$ award (I think you've already earned at least one of those).

The year is young so we have plenty of time to collect and weigh more evidence as it comes in before tallying it up and calculating the final jackwagon rankings. It looks like you have a good chance of making the top ten list.

For now I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, assume you are serious and comment from that perspective.

Your analogy sucks.

Professional/good coaches know the rules of the game they are coaching, have experience with it, have studied playbooks and such in written, video, and other forms and have actually played the game before becoming a coach. That's how they know what they are doing and got the job.

Have you gotten around to looking at an LSAT PrepTest yet or at least a few authentic questions or are you still just sitting around thinking about it in abstract form?

If not, here is a link to one that is free to download from LSAC and print out:
http://www.lsac.org/JD/pdfs/SamplePTJune.pdf

Have fun with it if you are serious about your stated goal. FYI, some people in this neck of the woods have actually taken two full five section tests under strict test conditions on the same day!

Please report back after you have cracked a test book open and worked at least one section of each type. No hurry though, take all the time you want. The world isn't predicted to end until sometime in March of this year so it may not matter what you do. :mrgreen:

john1990

Postby john1990 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:51 pm

some people in this neck of the woods have actually taken two full five section tests under strict test conditions on the same day!

+1

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:08 pm

john1990 wrote:
some people in this neck of the woods have actually taken two full five section tests under strict test conditions on the same day!

+1

Heck, some people here have actually taken the real thing! And scored better than a 173!

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:38 am

Your dream is to become an LSAT tutor....? You could choose anything in the world, and you would choose to become an LSAT tutor? Not an astronaut, a football player, or something else badass and cool? I don't even know what to say.....that's almost as sad a dreaming to become a lawyer.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:40 am

Can we just let this thread die?

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 am

Simplicity wrote:Your dream is to become an LSAT tutor....? You could choose anything in the world, and you would choose to become an LSAT tutor? Not an astronaut, a football player, or something else badass and cool? I don't even know what to say.....that's almost as sad a dreaming to become a lawyer.

:lol:

I have been extremely busy. No time for LSAT right now. I hope to get started with it in a couple of months. I need to be able to have 1 hour per day dedicated to LSAT for 2 months.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:12 pm

LSAT_Tutor wrote:I have been extremely busy. No time for LSAT right now. I hope to get started with it in a couple of months. I need to be able to have 1 hour per day dedicated to LSAT for 2 months.

No hurry dude, we wouldn't want to put any pressure on you. Take as much time as you need to get around to chasing your dream since you are super busy chasing around other things (butterflies?).

john1990

Postby john1990 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Jeffort wrote:
LSAT_Tutor wrote:I have been extremely busy. No time for LSAT right now. I hope to get started with it in a couple of months. I need to be able to have 1 hour per day dedicated to LSAT for 2 months.

No hurry dude, we wouldn't want to put any pressure on you. Take as much time as you need to get around to chasing your dream since you are super busy chasing around other things (butterflies?).

LSAT Tutor obviously just likes the attention

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:23 pm

LSAT_Tutor wrote:
I have been extremely busy. No time for LSAT right now. I hope to get started with it in a couple of months. I need to be able to have 1 hour per day dedicated to LSAT for 2 months.

Unless you're one of the gifted few (or many on this forum), you will need more than 2 months at 1 hour a day to achieve your goal of a 173. Even if you are able to hit it within that time frame, I firmly believe that you won't be qualified to teach until after you have had much more exposure to it. I know someone that scored in the 170+ range, but could not teach an LSAT lesson to save her life.

Also, I don't feel a 160 scorer will be an effective teacher. Your success on the LSAT is highly dependent on your ability to move through the questions effectively AND quickly. If you are unable to teach someone how to increase their speed, then you'll suck as a tutor. Just my thoughts.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:32 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
LSAT_Tutor wrote:

Unless you're one of the gifted few (or many on this forum), you will need more than 2 months at 1 hour a day to achieve your goal of a 173. Even if you are able to hit it within that time frame, I firmly believe that you won't be qualified to teach until after you have had much more exposure to it. I know someone that scored in the 170+ range, but could not teach an LSAT lesson to save her life.

Also, I don't feel a 160 scorer will be an effective teacher. Your success on the LSAT is highly dependent on your ability to move through the questions effectively AND quickly. If you are unable to teach someone how to increase their speed, then you'll suck as a tutor. Just my thoughts.

+1

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:38 pm

john1990 wrote:
LSAT Tutor obviously just likes the attention

My current theory is that it is an alt user account of somebody that has been around on the forum for a while that was created just to flame/troll the LSAT study forum that is doing a really lame job of being a good flame/troll. That's a double fail!

I bet if a moderator with access to the IP and other user profile tracking admin tools looks at the user account information that they would find it is associated with at least one other frequently used account.

Moderators, please read this message, solve the mystery, let me know if I'm correct and if so, wield that ban hammer once again, especially since one of you sent me to the TLS jail holding cell for a while the other week even though I was being good as I always am.

This is the LSAT study board, not the off topic jerking around section. I only read and post in this part of TLS and do so to help legitimate students when I have spare time.

Moderators, please look into this and flush the LSAT_Tutor and other associated accounts moron out if my theory proves true.

Image in advance.

LSAT_Tutor

Postby LSAT_Tutor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:34 am

Jeffort wrote:

>>>...This is the LSAT study board, not the off topic jerking around section....

:wink:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”