VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Re: Not block heavy games

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:30 pm

VasaVasori wrote:So, at the start, I'll usually try to find randoms, variables that have no rules associated with them, but I find that these take so long because I find myself making a hypothetical next to each and every question.

I assume that by 'not block' heavy games, you mean games that have restrictions (I can't be next to J, for instance). If that's not the case, ignore everything but my first point.

First, if the question is conditional, you should be making hypotheticals next to it, even if you find yourself doing it for each question. Sure, there are plenty of people out there who can 'do it in their heads', but I'd really recommend actually showing your work so you can't get messed up. Believe me, you waste a lot more time 'doing it in your head' (unless you're really good at it) than you do just drawing the question out.

As far as where to look for deductions in games with a lot of restrictions, it's usually in the form of the variable that shows up the most. If you've got someone who comes up in 2-3 rules, play around with that because there's probably a deduction.

Don't force it, though - sometimes, there aren't deductions to be made, and you should just get to the questions. To bring this back around to my first point, if you aren't seeing any deductions, do a quick scan of the questions. If they're mostly (or even all, minus the first one) conditions ("If I is second..."), then there probably aren't many deductions to be made. If, however, they're all absolute ("Which of the following must/could be true?"), then you're missing something.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”