Anyone blind in one eye and taking the test?

keyanaut

Anyone blind in one eye and taking the test?

Postby keyanaut » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Last year I severed my eye in a car accident. It's been pretty tough for me to take long term tests; it really strains my eye. Anyone know if accommodated testing is available with extra time?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: Anyone blind in one eye and taking the test?

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 pm

keyanaut wrote:Last year I severed my eye in a car accident. It's been pretty tough for me to take long term tests; it really strains my eye. Anyone know if accommodated testing is available with extra time?

Yes, LSAC does make accommodations. Though you'll want to start this process ASAP. LSAC has very specific requirements for granting this. They usually want to see a history of accommodations, but since your accident happened recently, this might not be as big a problem as usual.

I have a feeling you can make this happen - just be ready to get a ton of paperwork from doctors, get an initial rejection, fix your application, and try again.

keyanaut

Postby keyanaut » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:09 am

How much will the red flag asterik hurt? Is a 165 w/o asterisk better or a 170 with

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:02 pm

keyanaut wrote:How much will the red flag asterik hurt? Is a 165 w/o asterisk better or a 170 with

That's hard to say. In part it depends on where you're applying. A 165 makes you competitive for some strong schools.

You could also add an addendum to your report explaining your condition.

Perhaps go ahead and take two diagnostic tests, one with regular time and one with extended (I'm afraid I don't know off hand how much extra time they give you). See what sort of difference it makes.

azbycxdd

Postby azbycxdd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm

A strong score is always better than a weaker score, asterisk or not. I actually was talking to some admission deans about this at a law fair. The school can't view your score as holding less weight just because of an accommodation. That would violate a whole bunch of issues as it would discriminate against individuals with disabilities.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”