A somewhat unique Retake in February? question

divtheshin

A somewhat unique Retake in February? question

Postby divtheshin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:25 pm

I took an official LSAT for the first time this December and was pretty unhappy with my score. I studied fairly hard, with a Kaplan course, for roughly 2-3 months before the test. I know I can score higher based on my practice tests. I have already sent in applications to 10 law schools. I submitted my applications (perhaps stupidly) before I received my official LSAT score. I thought that submitting the PS and application as early as possible would be to my advantage. I did not know that my application would not even be looked at until the full CAS report was sent....Also I was not anticipating that gruelingly long score release for the December test.

ANYWAY, my question is this - If I retake the test in February, is there a chance that the schools I have already applied to will see my new score once it is released in March? Should I try to contact the schools and let them know that another score will be on its way in March? If I do better on the test in Feb, and do not get into any law schools this year, I will still be applying for the next cycle. However, if I am going to shoot for the 2013 cycle, I might as well take the test in June or Oct which leaves much more studying time than just one month until this Feb. So I am weighing the options - retake test in Feb with the possibility of schools I have already applied to seeing my improved score....OR...wait until June or Oct and study more and apply 2013. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I should add that I have a great gpa and am only trying to raise my lsat score a couple points. I am shooting for schools ranked in the 50-100 range.

I know there is information out there explaining that schools do not accept February test scores for applications of the same year. However, I am wondering if this still applies if a prior score has already been processed.
Last edited by divtheshin on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ExcelBaller

Re: A somewhat unique Retake in February? question

Postby ExcelBaller » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:00 pm

I would say you are right to contact the schools of your choice and talk to their admissions office about the specific questions. If you don't get the response you were hoping for then just hold off on the February test and take it in June if you want early decision and October if you want regular decision. Also, another benefit is that this will give you more time to get your letter of recommendation, personal statement, and resume tailored to perfection.

divtheshin

Postby divtheshin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks a lot. Also, noticing that the registration deadline is tomorrow for the Feb test, I will probably end up just applying for 2013 and taking the test in June/Oct, barring any miracles for this year (still hoping).

I am really happy with everything in my applications...GPA, letters, PS, resume. It's just my test score that's killing me.

I started this whole process fairly late and without much knowledge of how the application process worked. I had to figure everything out on my own. I feel I have a really good grip on everything now...so I guess that'll make applying for 2013 a lot easier. But that's only IF that is necessary, of course. I am not ruling out any miracles just yet.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:10 pm

divtheshin wrote:Thanks a lot. Also, noticing that the registration deadline is tomorrow for the Feb test, I will probably end up just applying for 2013 and taking the test in June/Oct, barring any miracles for this year (still hoping).

I am really happy with everything in my applications...GPA, letters, PS, resume. It's just my test score that's killing me.

I started this whole process fairly late and without much knowledge of how the application process worked. I had to figure everything out on my own. I feel I have a really good grip on everything now...so I guess that'll make applying for 2013 a lot easier. But that's only IF that is necessary, of course. I am not ruling out any miracles just yet.

Study out of your mind until June, score in the 160's and then shoot for 25-50th ranked schools. Why settle for mediocrity, especially with time to improve?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”