Please help me with a 30-day plan

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby flat-fifth » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:30 pm

I have decided to sit for the February LSAT. My cold diagnostic is, at minimum, 16 points below my target range. However, I know my biggest flaw is LG, which is my focus of study. In fact, I could gain my needed points in that section alone :( Beginning this week, I will do 2-3 pt's per week, with concentrated review of LG. I am also considering video prep with Velocity.

I happen to believe that significant improvement is possible within my allotted time frame. Any specific suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Onthebrink
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby Onthebrink » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:41 pm

What is your biggest issue with LG?

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:51 pm

There are plenty of other study guides out there but I want to add one thing. Since you are taking the Feb test (not bad in itself), you are most likely going to be applying for next cycle. If that's the case, don't take Feb unless you are consistently scoring in your target range. Otherwise change to the june date. If you haven't hit your target range on at least a few tests the week or two before, don't take it.

ETA: 16 points is possible but not probable in a month. So I would get mentally prepared to change your date. But I don't want to bring your motivation down. I just want to keep your expectations in check.

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby flat-fifth » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:57 pm

Onthebrink wrote:What is your biggest issue with LG?


Grouping games

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby flat-fifth » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:02 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:There are plenty of other study guides out there but I want to add one thing. Since you are taking the Feb test (not bad in itself), you are most likely going to be applying for next cycle. If that's the case, don't take Feb unless you are consistently scoring in your target range. Otherwise change to the june date. If you haven't hit your target range on at least a few tests the week or two before, don't take it.

ETA: 16 points is possible but not probable in a month. So I would get mentally prepared to change your date. But I don't want to bring your motivation down. I just want to keep your expectations in check.


Thanks a bunch for the input! If I don't do well, I certainly intend to retake in June. The next month will be extremely intense, but I want to approach it with the best possible study method.

User avatar
emilyburd
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby emilyburd » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:26 am

Ditto, and same.

My parents tell me to try for February, but I'd rather get a great score in the mid-160's and go to law school then rush to go this cycle with a less than decent score.

User avatar
Onthebrink
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby Onthebrink » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:36 am

flat-fifth wrote:
Onthebrink wrote:What is your biggest issue with LG?


Grouping games


Sorry, I should have been more clear. Is your main problem timing or just understanding certain games like grouping? You may have answered my question but I wanted to be sure?

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby flat-fifth » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:36 am

Onthebrink wrote:
flat-fifth wrote:
Onthebrink wrote:What is your biggest issue with LG?


Grouping games


Sorry, I should have been more clear. Is your main problem timing or just understanding certain games like grouping? You may have answered my question but I wanted to be sure?


My biggest difficulty is understanding the grouping games and grouping/linear combo games. Undefined games or games with multiple variables leave me asking, WTF? I think I should just slow down on this section. In instances where I take my time and focus, I get more correct answers than when I worry about the clock and finish all of the questions. FWIW, I am quite strong in the LR section and just need to improve my timing in RC.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:49 pm

You need to do just about every logic game released by LSAC. Doing 2-3 PTs a week, totaling 8-12 games, is not close to enough.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby bruss » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:15 pm

Have you done any LG prep? If not you might not learn as fast as you think you can (30days) and you run the risk of burnout. I say bad call. Unless you are aiming for 155-157 then I say prep for June.

flat-fifth
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby flat-fifth » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:03 pm

bruss wrote:Have you done any LG prep? If not you might not learn as fast as you think you can (30days) and you run the risk of burnout. I say bad call. Unless you are aiming for 155-157 then I say prep for June.


Took my diagnostic in Dec. Totally BOMBED LG's and ran out of time on every section. Since then, I have read through LGB twice. I'm planning to LIVE this test for the next month and if I am not at 165, I will defer to June. My major concern is that carrying 21 units this semester will impact my prep for June.

ExcelBaller
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby ExcelBaller » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:06 pm

I cant believe no one in here has said this but i will so dont take it personal. Why take the feb admin? What is the rush? IMO the feb admin is pointless, most schools application deadline is in February so why not give yourself more time to prep and take the June admin or even October - you wont be able to apply for the next cycle until then anyways. Obviously, The better you do on the LSAT the better schools you can get into, so take time tolearn from your mistakes, be patient work at it, live LSAT, then own it in 5 months. Haste makes waste. In other words, take your time and do it right.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Please help me with a 30-day plan

Postby bruss » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:53 pm

ExcelBaller wrote:I cant believe no one in here has said this but i will so dont take it personal. Why take the feb admin? What is the rush? IMO the feb admin is pointless, most schools application deadline is in February so why not give yourself more time to prep and take the June admin or even October - you wont be able to apply for the next cycle until then anyways. Obviously, The better you do on the LSAT the better schools you can get into, so take time tolearn from your mistakes, be patient work at it, live LSAT, then own it in 5 months. Haste makes waste. In other words, take your time and do it right.


+1

Didn't know op was still in school




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DumbHollywoodActor, Greenteachurro, VMars, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests