128 to 155

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby sunynp » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:38 am

About the Kansas market- where does that median salary number come from? Usually median salary is a number that no one actually makes- it is just a statitistic. Usually median salary is skewed by the very high salaries on one end of the bimodal distribution.


I'm not at all familiar with the Kansas market, so it could be possible that jobs there do pay the median salary.

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby omninode » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:39 am

Go to lawschooltransparency.com and look up University of Kansas.


That salary median you're talking about? It's based on the less than half of Kansas graduates who reported their salary. So, basically meaningless.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby bruss » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:26 pm

So tired of people saying "I know an attorney who went to [insert ttt-tttt] and he/she is a partner". I'm pretty sure the person was pre2008. Right now the economy is fucked. And unless your pops owns a firm don't go to a tttt.

psm11
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby psm11 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:39 pm

bruss wrote:So tired of people saying "I know an attorney who went to [insert ttt-tttt] and he/she is a partner". I'm pretty sure the person was pre2008. Right now the economy is fucked. And unless your pops owns a firm don't go to a tttt.


im so tired of people on here who either are not in ls and haven't practiced law for a day talk like they are experts and pretend to know what is going on out there.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby sunynp » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:47 pm

psm11 wrote:
bruss wrote:So tired of people saying "I know an attorney who went to [insert ttt-tttt] and he/she is a partner". I'm pretty sure the person was pre2008. Right now the economy is fucked. And unless your pops owns a firm don't go to a tttt.


im so tired of people on here who either are not in ls and haven't practiced law for a day talk like they are experts and pretend to know what is going on out there.


So are you already in school at a T2 or T3 school? Actually, I don't care where you go to school, if you think you know what is going on,and everyone else is wrong, go for it. Good luck to you. Just don't mislead other people.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby joeshmo39 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:55 pm

psm11 wrote:im so tired of people on here who either are not in ls and haven't practiced law for a day talk like they are experts and pretend to know what is going on out there.


I'm equally entertained by the "and I'll be doing something I love so I don't care about the money." I'm only halfway through law school and don't know anything about what the day to day practice at the firm will be or what I'll do. I've enjoyed law school so far, and I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy practice, but what do I know? I don't think it's crazy for us to predict what we'll enjoy - we do know ourselves pretty well after 20 years - but people need to understand "35k a year and doing something I love" could potentially turn into "I'm flat broke, I hate my job, and I'm in crippling debt."

If your plan is for your "love of the game" to carry you through, you're putting a lot of eggs in one basket.

psm11
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby psm11 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:13 pm

sunynp wrote:
psm11 wrote:
bruss wrote:So tired of people saying "I know an attorney who went to [insert ttt-tttt] and he/she is a partner". I'm pretty sure the person was pre2008. Right now the economy is fucked. And unless your pops owns a firm don't go to a tttt.


im so tired of people on here who either are not in ls and haven't practiced law for a day talk like they are experts and pretend to know what is going on out there.


So are you already in school at a T2 or T3 school? Actually, I don't care where you go to school, if you think you know what is going on,and everyone else is wrong, go for it. Good luck to you. Just don't mislead other people.


I havent misled anyone. all I'm simply pointing out is many posters on this website talk like they are a practicing lawyer and have this great familitarity with the legal market when in reality they are not in law school yet or still in law school and haven't held a job. On top of that when someone posts something they heard from a lawyer who has been practiceing for 20 or 30 years everyone on here is so quick to dismiss it. For the record this I'm my app year and I never said I knew what was going on. All I was doing was alluding to the fact that you have to be mindful of how much you buy into what people say on here because the vast majority of them are not in ls or still in ls.

User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby Duramax80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:06 pm

bruss wrote:So tired of people saying "I know an attorney who went to [insert ttt-tttt] and he/she is a partner". I'm pretty sure the person was pre2008. Right now the economy is fucked. And unless your pops owns a firm don't go to a tttt.



Like I said before, I know several TTT and TTTT attorneys who have good legal careers. The two TTTT I referred to earlier ARE NOT partners, and DID graduate post 2008. Its like you ignore the statistics that show there are people from TTT and TTTT schools who are practicing attorneys, and Ill go ahead and guarantee that they are not the children of practicing attorneys. Its possible to practice law out of TTT and TTTT, and I'll agree it is difficult, but its definitely possible.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15523
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Duramax80 wrote: The majority of attorneys I know around here did not graduate from T50 schools, and I live in a pretty "schnazzy" part of town. To give you an idea, there is a TV show about our "housewives" around here and I personally know a "character" on that show, and no, its not one of my parents.



Duramax80 wrote:Personally, I want to practice law because I like it, and lets be honest, I dont expect to make much money. I know I will never be "rich," but I'll be doing what makes me happy, and thats good enough for me. Trust me, money isnt everything.


So going to a TTT will get you a place in a "schnazzy" part of town, and perhaps even a spot for your wife on a Real Housewives show, but won't make you rich? Which is it?

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby Curious1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Duramax80 wrote:
bruss wrote:So tired of people saying "I know an attorney who went to [insert ttt-tttt] and he/she is a partner". I'm pretty sure the person was pre2008. Right now the economy is fucked. And unless your pops owns a firm don't go to a tttt.



Like I said before, I know several TTT and TTTT attorneys who have good legal careers. The two TTTT I referred to earlier ARE NOT partners, and DID graduate post 2008. Its like you ignore the statistics that show there are people from TTT and TTTT schools who are practicing attorneys, and Ill go ahead and guarantee that they are not the children of practicing attorneys. Its possible to practice law out of TTT and TTTT, and I'll agree it is difficult, but its definitely possible.


No one said it's impossible to have a great career from a TTT. The advice is that you shouldnt go because you shouldn't count on beating the odds, especially since the price (3 years of you life and variable money) is so high.

jared6180
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby jared6180 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:21 pm

a bit off topic, but be careful what assumptions you make based outward indicators. New cars, fancy houses mean absolutely nothing except that you are likely deeply in debt and for now you have a decent credit score. Being rich and being a high income earner are completely opposite things. Read "The Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas Stanley. I love the book and it is my inspiration for being more conservative financially.

Bottom Line: Cars mean nothing, Houses mean nothing.

User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby Duramax80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:21 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Duramax80 wrote: The majority of attorneys I know around here did not graduate from T50 schools, and I live in a pretty "schnazzy" part of town. To give you an idea, there is a TV show about our "housewives" around here and I personally know a "character" on that show, and no, its not one of my parents.



Duramax80 wrote:Personally, I want to practice law because I like it, and lets be honest, I dont expect to make much money. I know I will never be "rich," but I'll be doing what makes me happy, and thats good enough for me. Trust me, money isnt everything.


So going to a TTT will get you a place in a "schnazzy" part of town, and perhaps even a spot for your wife on a Real Housewives show, but won't make you rich? Which is it?


Depends on your definition of rich, hence the quotes. Keep in mind that the aforementioned "shnazzy" attorneys are old and have long established careers, where they started small and paved their way leaving their alma matter behind. The attorneys I was referring to earlier (the post 2008 TTTT grads), are making a comfortable living, and are not rich. Maybe Ill make some bullet points later on to make it flow a little better.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:24 pm

givemea170 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:I wouldn't go to any law school that typically accepts people with 155 LSATs. Employment prospects are too foul.



LSN is showing URM's getting into top 14's with 155 LSAT's, hell, I even saw someone with a 150 get into a top 14 with money so this isn't really accurate if this individual is a URM.


I wouldn't really classify that as "typically accepting", but that's just semantics.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Duramax80 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Duramax80 wrote: The majority of attorneys I know around here did not graduate from T50 schools, and I live in a pretty "schnazzy" part of town. To give you an idea, there is a TV show about our "housewives" around here and I personally know a "character" on that show, and no, its not one of my parents.



Duramax80 wrote:Personally, I want to practice law because I like it, and lets be honest, I dont expect to make much money. I know I will never be "rich," but I'll be doing what makes me happy, and thats good enough for me. Trust me, money isnt everything.


So going to a TTT will get you a place in a "schnazzy" part of town, and perhaps even a spot for your wife on a Real Housewives show, but won't make you rich? Which is it?


Depends on your definition of rich, hence the quotes. Keep in mind that the aforementioned "shnazzy" attorneys are old and have long established careers, where they started small and paved their way leaving their alma matter behind. The attorneys I was referring to earlier (the post 2008 TTTT grads), are making a comfortable living, and are not rich. Maybe Ill make some bullet points later on to make it flow a little better.

You also said "both", meaning 2. Solid sample size you have there, chief.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Also one thing that keeps bamboozling me on here:

The job of a lot of lawyers involves minimizing risk and liability, so I really don't understand this big risk, big reward mentality of people who gamble on schools with poor job prospects. If you want to play big risk, big reward shouldn't you be in something like business? Lawyers are typically a very risk averse bunch.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby tomwatts » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:31 pm

There's every indication that the OP has pretty much tuned out of this useless thread, which makes a great deal of sense given the nonresponsive responses, but just in case...

You might think that it's easier to improve from a low score to a medium score than it is to improve from a medium score to a high score, but it turns out it's not really true. Getting from a 128 to a 138 is just as hard as getting from a 150 to a 160, or a 160 to a 170. (This is assuming that this cold diag was like everyone else's cold diag; if you were very tired or otherwise not mentally functioning at the time, it might be different.)

Given that, we're talking about a 22-point improvement just to get to a 150, or a 27-point improvement just to get to a 155. 27 points on the LSAT is a lot of points. It's not the largest score improvement I've ever heard of, but it would be up there. You would really need to buckle down, start slow, and figure out how to get questions right. Don't take timed tests. There's no point, not at the level that you're at. To get a 150 (your first goal), you need to get about half of the questions right and guess on the remaining. That means picking out the two easier games and the two easier reading passages and doing those in a little under 18 minutes each. So don't worry about going quickly or whatever; worry about getting stuff right (getting anything right — a 128 is a little bit better than answer B for everything, but not by a lot).

So I'm saying that it's a long slog from the 120's to the 150's with no guarantee of succeeding, and even if you do succeed, you might not like the results when you apply, but it can be done.

User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby Duramax80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:38 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Duramax80 wrote: The majority of attorneys I know around here did not graduate from T50 schools, and I live in a pretty "schnazzy" part of town. To give you an idea, there is a TV show about our "housewives" around here and I personally know a "character" on that show, and no, its not one of my parents.



Duramax80 wrote:Personally, I want to practice law because I like it, and lets be honest, I dont expect to make much money. I know I will never be "rich," but I'll be doing what makes me happy, and thats good enough for me. Trust me, money isnt everything.


So going to a TTT will get you a place in a "schnazzy" part of town, and perhaps even a spot for your wife on a Real Housewives show, but won't make you rich? Which is it?


Depends on your definition of rich, hence the quotes. Keep in mind that the aforementioned "shnazzy" attorneys are old and have long established careers, where they started small and paved their way leaving their alma matter behind. The attorneys I was referring to earlier (the post 2008 TTTT grads), are making a comfortable living, and are not rich. Maybe Ill make some bullet points later on to make it flow a little better.

You also said "both", meaning 2. Solid sample size you have there, chief.


Yeah, the way I see it is something cant be deemed impossible when there is at least one person who has done it. I had thought I explained this, but I now see that I did not. So, the two post 2008 TTTT attorneys I referred to earlier didnt graduate top 10%, and were, by no means, superstars in their school.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Duramax80 wrote:Yeah, the way I see it is something cant be deemed impossible when there is at least one person who has done it. I had thought I explained this, but I now see that I did not. So, the two post 2008 TTTT attorneys I referred to earlier didnt graduate top 10%, and were, by no means, superstars in their school.

Nobody has ever said it is impossible. Everyone says that the odds are stacked against you. Go ahead and take a big risk. You might win the lottery. You also might find yourself trapped underneath soul-crushing debt.

Also, you should know that the only TTTT attorneys you will come across are the ones that beat the odds. Well, you might come across the others, you just won't realize it when you're at the dive bar down the street and they make you a drink.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby bruss » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Duramax80 wrote:
bruss wrote:So tired of people saying "I know an attorney who went to [insert ttt-tttt] and he/she is a partner". I'm pretty sure the person was pre2008. Right now the economy is fucked. And unless your pops owns a firm don't go to a tttt.



Like I said before, I know several TTT and TTTT attorneys who have good legal careers. The two TTTT I referred to earlier ARE NOT partners, and DID graduate post 2008. Its like you ignore the statistics that show there are people from TTT and TTTT schools who are practicing attorneys, and Ill go ahead and guarantee that they are not the children of practicing attorneys. Its possible to practice law out of TTT and TTTT, and I'll agree it is difficult, but its definitely possible.


How much do these attorneys make? How much debt did they incur? What school did they go to? How rich are their parents? I think these questions need to be answered before you suggest that people shouldnt expect to hate life if they got to a shit school and aren't in the 10% at these shit schools.

User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby Duramax80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

bruss wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:
bruss wrote:So tired of people saying "I know an attorney who went to [insert ttt-tttt] and he/she is a partner". I'm pretty sure the person was pre2008. Right now the economy is fucked. And unless your pops owns a firm don't go to a tttt.



Like I said before, I know several TTT and TTTT attorneys who have good legal careers. The two TTTT I referred to earlier ARE NOT partners, and DID graduate post 2008. Its like you ignore the statistics that show there are people from TTT and TTTT schools who are practicing attorneys, and Ill go ahead and guarantee that they are not the children of practicing attorneys. Its possible to practice law out of TTT and TTTT, and I'll agree it is difficult, but its definitely possible.


How much do these attorneys make? How much debt did they incur? What school did they go to? How rich are their parents? I think these questions need to be answered before you suggest that people shouldnt expect to hate life if they got to a shit school and aren't in the 10% at these shit schools.


Enough, a lot, bad ones, not at all.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Duramax80 wrote:
bruss wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:
bruss wrote:So tired of people saying "I know an attorney who went to [insert ttt-tttt] and he/she is a partner". I'm pretty sure the person was pre2008. Right now the economy is fucked. And unless your pops owns a firm don't go to a tttt.



Like I said before, I know several TTT and TTTT attorneys who have good legal careers. The two TTTT I referred to earlier ARE NOT partners, and DID graduate post 2008. Its like you ignore the statistics that show there are people from TTT and TTTT schools who are practicing attorneys, and Ill go ahead and guarantee that they are not the children of practicing attorneys. Its possible to practice law out of TTT and TTTT, and I'll agree it is difficult, but its definitely possible.


How much do these attorneys make? How much debt did they incur? What school did they go to? How rich are their parents? I think these questions need to be answered before you suggest that people shouldnt expect to hate life if they got to a shit school and aren't in the 10% at these shit schools.


Enough, a lot, bad ones, not at all.

So you're saying paying sticker at a shit school is a golden ticket to models and bottles?

User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby Duramax80 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:
bruss wrote:
How much do these attorneys make? How much debt did they incur? What school did they go to? How rich are their parents? I think these questions need to be answered before you suggest that people shouldnt expect to hate life if they got to a shit school and aren't in the 10% at these shit schools.


Enough, a lot, bad ones, not at all.

So you're saying paying sticker at a shit school is a golden ticket to models and bottles?

Image


"All Im saying is that Ive seen people get good jobs after graduating from TTTT schools. Its not the best idea, but its certainly possible, and definitely not a 100% lost cause."

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:37 am

Duramax80 wrote:"All Im saying is that Ive seen people get good jobs after graduating from TTTT schools. Its not the best idea, but its certainly possible, and definitely not a 100% lost cause."

:lol:

Who are you quoting?

User avatar
Duramax80
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: 128 to 155

Postby Duramax80 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:51 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:"All Im saying is that Ive seen people get good jobs after graduating from TTTT schools. Its not the best idea, but its certainly possible, and definitely not a 100% lost cause."

:lol:

Who are you quoting?


Me.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 128 to 155

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:56 am

Duramax80 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:"All Im saying is that Ive seen people get good jobs after graduating from TTTT schools. Its not the best idea, but its certainly possible, and definitely not a 100% lost cause."

:lol:

Who are you quoting?


Me.

Yeah... I think you're doing it wrong. :wink:




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PresidentIJohnson and 4 guests