Is it better to take an online prep course or in class?

sammy416

Is it better to take an online prep course or in class?

Postby sammy416 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:32 am

any opinions? Thank you!

tomwatts

Re: Is it better to take an online prep course or in class?

Postby tomwatts » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Some things to bear in mind:

* "Online" can either mean "recorded" or "live." A recorded online class is basically just a bunch of videos that you watch. A live online class is basically an in-person class where you can't see other people's faces, but everything else is the same (you talk, someone teaches and answers your questions, there are other students there at the same time, etc.). I tend to think that the live ones are better (you get someone who answers your questions as you have them, you have set schedule, you get all the advantages of interaction, etc.), but there's some room for disagreement on this.

* Depending on where you are, some companies may only have online options, not in-person options, so if you're dead-set on a particular company or methodology, you may have to take something online.

* Most online classes are shorter than in-person classes, some much shorter. A typical full-length in-person class is in the neighborhood of 80+ hours. A typical full-length online class is in the neighborhood of 40-50 hours. I think we (Princeton Review) have the longest online course, at 55+ hours (22 sessions of 2.5 hours each), but I haven't checked the options in a while.

There's no one right answer for this.

bp shinners

Re: Is it better to take an online prep course or in class?

Postby bp shinners » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:00 pm

tomwatts wrote:* Most online classes are shorter than in-person classes, some much shorter. A typical full-length in-person class is in the neighborhood of 80+ hours. A typical full-length online class is in the neighborhood of 40-50 hours. I think we (Princeton Review) have the longest online course, at 55+ hours (22 sessions of 2.5 hours each), but I haven't checked the options in a while.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that our video course is 60+ hours, tom ;-)

As far as the differences between the two, from our perspective (providers of the courses), there's pros and cons to each, and it really depends on what you're looking for.

If you want a fixed schedule to keep you honest and real-time access to an instructor, an in-class course is probably for you.

If you want a flexible, on-your-time schedule; to save a bit of cash (in many cases - though I know some places charge the same for in-class and video courses); and don't mind taking responsibility for keeping pace (though most recorded video courses do provide you with a calendar); a recorded video course is probably for you.

If you want to have real-time access to an instructor, but you don't want to leave your pajamas, and you don't mind teleconferencing, a live online course is probably for you.

In all honesty, for most of the big companies with an online-recorded offering, you won't be missing much in the form of instructor interaction because they offer e-mail access to instructors (we have 4 or 5 who regularly answer questions). However, it will take some time to respond, so it won't be immediate.

If you value an immediate answer more than the flexibility of schedule, go with a live class. If you value the flexibility more than an immediate answer to a question, go with the video. If you value the comfortable feel of your pajamas, go with either type of online course.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”