Ace the LSAT LG

Eichörnchen

Ace the LSAT LG

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:50 pm

LG is keeping me from being comfortably in the mid-170s and I'm sick of it! I have about a month to go until my Feb test, so I am making my final push to get my LG down to a -0 (I can score anywhere from -1 to -9 at this point :? ). I've done at least two copies of each LG from PTs 7-41, so in addition to doing more games, I'd like to try the Ace the LSAT LG book for extra practice. My question is:

For anyone who has done this book, about how much time should I allot to complete it? Thanks for any help or info anyone can offer, and I'm open to any other suggestions when it comes to LG. :mrgreen:

thederangedwang

Re: Ace the LSAT LG

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:56 pm

I havent tried that book/method but have you tried (I'm sure you have) the powerscore or manhattan books? For me they really helped

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 pm

thederangedwang wrote:I havent tried that book/method but have you tried (I'm sure you have) the powerscore or manhattan books? For me they really helped

Yep, I did the bible twice and the manhattan LG book as well. They were both really helpful. I guess not helpful enough for me to be good at LG, but very good. :oops:

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:I havent tried that book/method but have you tried (I'm sure you have) the powerscore or manhattan books? For me they really helped

Yep, I did the bible twice and the manhattan LG book as well. They were both really helpful. I guess not helpful enough for me to be good at LG, but very good. :oops:

is there any reason? like, for a lg question that you miss a lot of questions on, what about it makes you miss questions?

My point is (and I had this same problem) is that my initial setup wasnt good enough. Even though i had read through the bibles multiple times like you, i was rushing the setup and not getting crucial inferences

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:32 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

is there any reason? like, for a lg question that you miss a lot of questions on, what about it makes you miss questions?

My point is (and I had this same problem) is that my initial setup wasnt good enough. Even though i had read through the bibles multiple times like you, i was rushing the setup and not getting crucial inferences

It usually happens when I am low on time (in LG this would be always :roll: ) and run into something that I don't know how to diagram or I can't conceptualize well. For example, in my last PT (56), game 4 had me assigning executives to sites.

Each site is visited by "at least one". So far, so good. Then when I read the rules I saw that the visit to site X precedes the visit to site Y, in other words, there is ordering of the sites in combination with the open assignment aspect of placing the executives to the sites. I didn't know a good way to set it up, I was low on time, and I saw that there were lots of questions for this game. Enter: mini panic mode. I ended up behaving haphazardly and misrepresenting a rule to boot. All in all, I got a -6 LG which knocked me down to a 171.

Story of my LG life.

GavinMcGimpsey

Postby GavinMcGimpsey » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:04 am

I did not complete the Powerscore Bible, and I don't know anything about the book you're asking about. I found the Bible methods that I read very cumbersome. What I did find helpful was the LSAT Blog's methods, and I did everything on this page: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/lsat-prep-study-plan-logic-games.html. I improved from a 169 (cold PT) to a 180, most of which was improving LG.

penguinbrah

Postby penguinbrah » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:34 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

It usually happens when I am low on time (in LG this would be always :roll: ) and run into something that I don't know how to diagram or I can't conceptualize well. For example, in my last PT (56), game 4 had me assigning executives to sites.

Each site is visited by "at least one". So far, so good. Then when I read the rules I saw that the visit to site X precedes the visit to site Y, in other words, there is ordering of the sites in combination with the open assignment aspect of placing the executives to the sites. I didn't know a good way to set it up, I was low on time, and I saw that there were lots of questions for this game. Enter: mini panic mode. I ended up behaving haphazardly and misrepresenting a rule to boot. All in all, I got a -6 LG which knocked me down to a 171.

Story of my LG life.

I may be wrong but it seems like one of your problems is that you are getting flustered which is leading to a lack of optimal mental processing. You might want to try slowing down completely and being calm even when you can't right away figure out how to do something

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Hey Eich, hope studying is going well for you. I see LG is still the bane of your existence, but I did run across this the other day: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/ma ... k-pdf.html

I have never used it, so I'm not sure how helpful it'll be. But hey, if you have some extra cash to spare, might as well try everything.

P.S. I'm strongly considering reapplying next cycle, so you might see me then :)

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:41 pm

GavinMcGimpsey wrote:I did not complete the Powerscore Bible, and I don't know anything about the book you're asking about. I found the Bible methods that I read very cumbersome. What I did find helpful was the LSAT Blog's methods, and I did everything on this page: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/lsat-prep-study-plan-logic-games.html. I improved from a 169 (cold PT) to a 180, most of which was improving LG.

Thanks a lot, a lot of this looks very useful.

penguinbrah wrote:I may be wrong but it seems like one of your problems is that you are getting flustered which is leading to a lack of optimal mental processing. You might want to try slowing down completely and being calm even when you can't right away figure out how to do something

You are very right. I almost always lose points in a row. The fact that my -6 will come with a -1 in games one, and then 5 in a row wrong in game four, shows me that when I lose my grip, all hell breaks loose. I am now trying to figure out how to get faster so I am able to take my time in LG like I do in LR.

KevinP wrote:Hey Eich, hope studying is going well for you. I see LG is still the bane of your existence, but I did run across this the other day: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/ma ... k-pdf.html

I have never used it, so I'm not sure how helpful it'll be. But hey, if you have some extra cash to spare, might as well try everything.

P.S. I'm strongly considering reapplying next cycle, so you might see me then :)

Hey KevinP! Thanks for that. I'm generally OK with my methods, and am now trying to figure out how to streamline and become faster, so I don't know if another book will do the trick. That one seems really interesting though so I'm surprised nobody talks about it! Let me know how your apps go, and maybe I'll see you next cycle. :mrgreen:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”