LSAT questions from a first year student

CincinnatusND

LSAT questions from a first year student

Postby CincinnatusND » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm a freshman at the University of Cincinnati. I'm looking to make it into a t14 law school in three years and was looking for some advice on deciding when to take the LSAT.

I have been thinking a lot about my future lately so I decided to just try an old LSAT, the one the LSAC provides for free on their website from June '07, time myself, and see how highly I could score with no preparation. I did this at 10:30 pm after a long day, knowing nothing about the LSAT going in. I scored a 169. I'm fairly anxious to see how highly I could score with prep work and I feel as if I could do quite a bit better even with minimal prep.

This is where my question comes in: Is there any real reason to wait until I'm a junior or senior student to wait to formally prep for, and then take, the LSAT? I would be happier beginning my preparation this spring and taking the test sometime in my sophomore year. Would law schools view a score from so early in my college career unfavorably? I would like to take it early, simply to get it out of the way and know definitively what kind of LSAT score I will be applying to law school with. I will also be more heavily involved in my later years of college and feel as if extensive prep work would be easier to manage in the near future.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Scotusnerd

Re: LSAT questions from a first year student

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Good lord we're growin' them early! At least you're proactive! :twisted:

LSAT scores are valid for five years, so it's possible for you to do this. The question is whether you should or not.

Something up front, and this is not intended disrespectfully: you are a freshman in college. I doubt you know where you're going to be in four years. Priorities might change. I'm not saying don't take it, but be aware that you might change your dream.

Did you take the full test, in a timed format? What time did you finish with it?

I don't think that it would be viewed unfavorably, but one thing I do want to warn you on: I don't think that college social life has hit you completely yet. Things tend to balloon out somehow...whether that be drinks, or girlfriend/boyfriend troubles, or finals, term papers, medical emergencies, whatever...stuff happens, and that can get in the way of studying.

You can take the LSAT a total of three times in two years (http://www.lsac.org/jd/Help/faqs-lsat.asp#test-repeats), so be careful that you actually do have the amount of time you think you do before starting. No matter what, your prep will take you through at least one finals session, so exercise caution with that.

Good luck to you and I hope you can get into T14!

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Thank you! I appreciate the input

I do already have many time commitments, I am a student senator, academic chair in my fraternity, full time student, and full time boyfriend, but I am the kind of person who is not happy unless I'm being productive, and I do feel as if my student involvement will only increase from here. I'm studying Communications, and it has not proven to be very strenuous on my time as of yet and my 4.0 came pretty easily.

I timed each section, allowing myself 35 minutes for each section, finishing each section in roughly thirty minutes, the logic game section taking me the closest to the wire at about 33 minutes.

scoreitup

Postby scoreitup » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:36 pm

First of all, congratulations! A 169 on a timed, initial diagnostic LSAT is outstanding. You should feel very good about that. Most students have the opposite problem of the one you are describing - they procrastinate until the last minute, and then do not have enough time to prepare. There is very little downside to taking the LSAT early. Not only is your score automatically good for 5 years, you can get your score after 5 years by simply making a written request of the LSAC. Your outside time commitments are relevant, but if you are able to prep during a time period when you have fewer commitments (e.g., in the Summer), you sound like a very motivated student who can pull it off. Worst case scenario, you can put off taking the LSAT (or retake if necessary) if you don't feel adequately prepared - you'll have plenty of time to do so. Good luck - you're off to a great start!

gobosox

Postby gobosox » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:44 am

Scotusnerd wrote:Something up front, and this is not intended disrespectfully: you are a freshman in college. I doubt you know where you're going to be in four years. Priorities might change. I'm not saying don't take it, but be aware that you might change your dream.

Couldn't agree more... As someone who graduated from college just a couple of years ago, my priorities have changed dramatically between 3 or 4 different professions in the last 6 years.

I'm probably taking the LSAT a year and a half before I want to go to Law School (so Feb of your Junior year). That will give me a couple chances to retake it if I need to. Doing it earlier doesn't benefit you, so take your time. Don't want to waste 6 months of your life and $135 for something you end up not wanting to do. Plus, you might want to take time off, in which case you might come up on that 5-year mark. Just enjoy college while you can; it will be gone before you know it.

(Though if "freshman me" were told this I'd have responded with a "buzz off" and ignored the person, so I can see that...)

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:36 pm

That's why I said no disrespect intended. :lol: I would have done the same thing as a freshman!

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Best advice I've ever seen on this forum: get some work experience before you go to law school. It gives you perspective, and if not anything else it certainly increases your jerb prospects post law school.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”