I called LSAC about accommodated scores

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
ben4847 wrote:PK: I think you ought to consider that the adcomms response to your complaining will probably be pretty similar to our response. So just leave the whole thing out. Retake with your stupid accommodations, take law school exams with your stupid accommodations, and try to make the cut during the summer and as an attorney.

However, if your undergrad grades were also with accommodations, and that is how you have your good GPA, you might not want to alert the adcomms to that fact (if your undergrad doesn't report it).


I'm not going to complain about it to the adcomms. My UGPA was with accommodations (time-and-a-half) but I only used it on some of my tests. On a few occasions I will need all of my extra time. Without it my GPA would probably be a 3.85-3.9 or something like that I would guess. It wouldn't have too huge of an impact on that but remember that I have psychological testing that proves I get these accommodations under the ADA so that my performance reflects my true abilities rather than the limits imposed by my disability. . Of course I wouldn't tell the adcomms this!


Right. So don't include your rant about the supposed illegality.
And don't tell employers about your law school accommodations. And hope to blazes that you actually can do the legal work as efficiently as someone without your "disability."
And continue providing us with entertainment in the form of these threads.
And do sue LSAC, so that there will be a funny post about it on ATL.

User avatar
givemea170
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby givemea170 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
ben4847 wrote:PK: I think you ought to consider that the adcomms response to your complaining will probably be pretty similar to our response. So just leave the whole thing out. Retake with your stupid accommodations, take law school exams with your stupid accommodations, and try to make the cut during the summer and as an attorney.

However, if your undergrad grades were also with accommodations, and that is how you have your good GPA, you might not want to alert the adcomms to that fact (if your undergrad doesn't report it).


I'm not going to complain about it to the adcomms. My UGPA was with accommodations (time-and-a-half) but I only used it on some of my tests. On a few occasions I will need all of my extra time. Without it my GPA would probably be a 3.85-3.9 or something like that I would guess. It wouldn't have too huge of an impact on that but remember that I have psychological testing that proves I get these accommodations under the ADA so that my performance reflects my true abilities rather than the limits imposed by my disability. . Of course I wouldn't tell the adcomms this!


One might argue your performance reflects your true abilities with special accommodations.

User avatar
Ohiobumpkin
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:11 am

Philosopher King wrote:
ben4847 wrote:PK: I think you ought to consider that the adcomms response to your complaining will probably be pretty similar to our response. So just leave the whole thing out. Retake with your stupid accommodations, take law school exams with your stupid accommodations, and try to make the cut during the summer and as an attorney.

However, if your undergrad grades were also with accommodations, and that is how you have your good GPA, you might not want to alert the adcomms to that fact (if your undergrad doesn't report it).


I'm not going to complain about it to the adcomms. My UGPA was with accommodations (time-and-a-half) but I only used it on some of my tests. On a few occasions I will need all of my extra time. Without it my GPA would probably be a 3.85-3.9 or something like that I would guess. It wouldn't have too huge of an impact on that but remember that I have psychological testing that proves I get these accommodations under the ADA so that my performance reflects my true abilities rather than the limits imposed by my disability. . Of course I wouldn't tell the adcomms this!


Whatever sympathy I had for you just flew out the window. As somebody with a life long cognitive disability, this crap makes me sick. Your abusing the accommodations that allow disabled people to keep their heads above water while trying to educationally achieve. You're the kind of leech that makes LSAC paranoid about every applicant for testing accommodations, forcing them to be draconian with their approval process. Take your LSAT score like a man and STFU! You failed, you didn't do as well as you would like, and that is the end of it. BTW, the * does nothing but help. Law schools are more likely to admit somebody with a lower than average LSAT score if they have a history of a disability. Thank God LSAC denied your request for accommodations. God save anybody you might represent as a lawyer.

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby Philosopher King » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:21 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:Whatever sympathy I had for you just flew out the window. As somebody with a life long cognitive disability, this crap makes me sick. Your abusing the accommodations that allow disabled people to keep their heads above water while trying to educationally achieve. You're the kind of leech that makes LSAC paranoid about every applicant for testing accommodations, forcing them to be draconian with their approval process. Take your LSAT score like a man and STFU! You failed, you didn't do as well as you would like, and that is the end of it. BTW, the * does nothing but help. Law schools are more likely to admit somebody with a lower than average LSAT score if they have a history of a disability.Thank God LSAC denied your request for accommodations.


Why do you say I'm abusing the accommodations system? Also LSAC did not deny my request for accommodations because I didn't request them on purpose because they illegally make the score not count and tell the schools to interpret them differently.

Ohiobumpkin wrote:God save anybody you might represent as a lawyer.


They won't need God to save them because I will.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:22 am

hyakku wrote:Lmao, I find PK funny, but some of you keep trying to get at him for not having the propensity to be a competent lawyer, yet most of you either don't know the difference between ADD, aspergers and autism, or your research skills are so poor that you couldn't look like eight posts before yours to see that he doesn't claim (at least not in this thread) to have ADD, ADHD, Aspergers or Cthulu in him.

Also, why do any of you care so much if he brings a lawsuit against them? I'm not saying it's the smartest thing, but if everyone admits the test is inherently flawed and there are no strides being made to improve the process, why bitch that someone wants to try to (regardless of how asinine his attempts are)?


I thought this was the same guy who complained earlier in the day in another thread about the adhd accomodations not being enough and being too difficult to get. if i'm wrong, i apologize.

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby Philosopher King » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:29 am

emkay625 wrote:
hyakku wrote:Lmao, I find PK funny, but some of you keep trying to get at him for not having the propensity to be a competent lawyer, yet most of you either don't know the difference between ADD, aspergers and autism, or your research skills are so poor that you couldn't look like eight posts before yours to see that he doesn't claim (at least not in this thread) to have ADD, ADHD, Aspergers or Cthulu in him.

Also, why do any of you care so much if he brings a lawsuit against them? I'm not saying it's the smartest thing, but if everyone admits the test is inherently flawed and there are no strides being made to improve the process, why bitch that someone wants to try to (regardless of how asinine his attempts are)?


I thought this was the same guy who complained earlier in the day in another thread about the adhd accomodations not being enough and being too difficult to get. if i'm wrong, i apologize.


I have Asperger's and never claimed I have ADHD or ADD or anything else. You may be surprised that I'm not the only one complaining about LSAC's illegal practices.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:33 am

Philosopher King wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
hyakku wrote:Lmao, I find PK funny, but some of you keep trying to get at him for not having the propensity to be a competent lawyer, yet most of you either don't know the difference between ADD, aspergers and autism, or your research skills are so poor that you couldn't look like eight posts before yours to see that he doesn't claim (at least not in this thread) to have ADD, ADHD, Aspergers or Cthulu in him.

Also, why do any of you care so much if he brings a lawsuit against them? I'm not saying it's the smartest thing, but if everyone admits the test is inherently flawed and there are no strides being made to improve the process, why bitch that someone wants to try to (regardless of how asinine his attempts are)?


I thought this was the same guy who complained earlier in the day in another thread about the adhd accomodations not being enough and being too difficult to get. if i'm wrong, i apologize.


I have Asperger's and never claimed I have ADHD or ADD or anything else. You may be surprised that I'm not the only one complaining about LSAC's illegal practices.

Quit spewing your "LSAC's illegal practices" shit. Don't pretend to know more about the law than an organization backed by literally thousands of attorneys. If you want to make an argument, fine. But don't just assert that to be true. That's the biggest reason why you're getting such negative feedback. Quit being a pretentious know-it-all. Especially because you don't know it all.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 am

Honestly asking- why would you get extra time for asperger's? I say this as someone whose sibling has fairly severe asperger's, and gets no accommodations. I'm confused.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 am

nevermind
Last edited by JamMasterJ on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:36 am

Philosopher King wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
hyakku wrote:Lmao, I find PK funny, but some of you keep trying to get at him for not having the propensity to be a competent lawyer, yet most of you either don't know the difference between ADD, aspergers and autism, or your research skills are so poor that you couldn't look like eight posts before yours to see that he doesn't claim (at least not in this thread) to have ADD, ADHD, Aspergers or Cthulu in him.

Also, why do any of you care so much if he brings a lawsuit against them? I'm not saying it's the smartest thing, but if everyone admits the test is inherently flawed and there are no strides being made to improve the process, why bitch that someone wants to try to (regardless of how asinine his attempts are)?


I thought this was the same guy who complained earlier in the day in another thread about the adhd accomodations not being enough and being too difficult to get. if i'm wrong, i apologize.


I have Asperger's and never claimed I have ADHD or ADD or anything else. You may be surprised that I'm not the only one complaining about LSAC's illegal practices.


My apologies, I got my threads mixed up.

This makes even less sense to me then. Why should you get extra time for Asperger's?

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby Philosopher King » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:43 am

emkay625 wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
hyakku wrote:Lmao, I find PK funny, but some of you keep trying to get at him for not having the propensity to be a competent lawyer, yet most of you either don't know the difference between ADD, aspergers and autism, or your research skills are so poor that you couldn't look like eight posts before yours to see that he doesn't claim (at least not in this thread) to have ADD, ADHD, Aspergers or Cthulu in him.

Also, why do any of you care so much if he brings a lawsuit against them? I'm not saying it's the smartest thing, but if everyone admits the test is inherently flawed and there are no strides being made to improve the process, why bitch that someone wants to try to (regardless of how asinine his attempts are)?


I thought this was the same guy who complained earlier in the day in another thread about the adhd accomodations not being enough and being too difficult to get. if i'm wrong, i apologize.


I have Asperger's and never claimed I have ADHD or ADD or anything else. You may be surprised that I'm not the only one complaining about LSAC's illegal practices.


My apologies, I got my threads mixed up.

This makes even less sense to me then. Why should you get extra time for Asperger's?


I don't know if it's that or the fact that, because I'm not a neurotypical person, I have a wide range of ability when it comes to cognitive functions. My processing speed is slow but other cognitive functions are way above average. A tests that is timed so brutally does not allow me to use my other cognitive abilities to compensate for my lack of processing speed. In real life I compensate for it all of the time.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:46 am

Again, if your only diagnosis is asperger's, I still can't see why you would be legally allowed accommodations.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 am

Philosopher King wrote:I don't know if it's that or the fact that, because I'm not a neurotypical person, I have a wide range of ability when it comes to cognitive functions. My processing speed is slow but other cognitive functions are way above average. A tests that is timed so brutally does not allow me to use my other cognitive abilities to compensate for my lack of processing speed. In real life I compensate for it all of the time.

Then go get your accommodation, your 170, and go to a T14 school. The asterisk will only serve to help you. In fact, it will help you more than anyone because it will fully support the fact that your previous LSAT should not be considered because you needed an accommodation. If there is ever a case where the asterisk will assuredly be a benefit, you are it (assuming you improve with an accommodation).

Also, please write your PS about your lawsuit against the LSAC and how you, if you were only given additional time to make your argument in front of the judge, you would have actually won the case.

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby suspicious android » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:50 am

You got accommodations for Asperger's while in college? I had no idea they did that. What about high school?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:51 am

Philosopher King wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I thought this was the same guy who complained earlier in the day in another thread about the adhd accomodations not being enough and being too difficult to get. if i'm wrong, i apologize.


I have Asperger's and never claimed I have ADHD or ADD or anything else. You may be surprised that I'm not the only one complaining about LSAC's illegal practices.


My apologies, I got my threads mixed up.

This makes even less sense to me then. Why should you get extra time for Asperger's?


I don't know if it's that or the fact that, because I'm not a neurotypical person, I have a wide range of ability when it comes to cognitive functions. My processing speed is slow but other cognitive functions are way above average. A tests that is timed so brutally does not allow me to use my other cognitive abilities to compensate for my lack of processing speed. In real life I compensate for it all of the time.

LSAC does not demand that schools weigh LSAT scores to a certain degree as part of their admissions standards.

There is no better (yet) objective measure, and if schools are given the right to value scores as they wish, LSAC isn't breaking the law.

Dean Z from Michigan, IIRC, posted a pretty good analysis of the issue in her admissions blog.

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby Philosopher King » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:52 am

suspicious android wrote:You got accommodations for Asperger's while in college? I had no idea they did that. What about high school?


See what I've said above; it's because of my slow processing speed that I get the extra time. I didn't need accommodations in high school because I went to a special ed high school.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:59 am

I teach 2 students with Asperger's. The only accommodations they receive in my classroom (as outlined in their IEP) are the use of a small computer to type, as handwriting is generally difficult for students with Asperger's. (Also some things to help them behaviorally, socially, etc, but that's not relevant in this thread). They don't need extra time on tests. They generally finish before everyone else by a mile.

If you really do have trouble with processing speed, you should get reevaluated. There could be something else at hand, another disability, that's being misconstrued as being a part of your Asperger's.

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby Philosopher King » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:01 am

emkay625 wrote:I teach 2 students with Asperger's. The only accommodations they receive in my classroom (as outlined in their IEP) are the use of a small computer to type, as handwriting is generally difficult for students with Asperger's. (Also some things to help them behaviorally, socially, etc, but that's not relevant in this thread). They don't need extra time on tests. They generally finish before everyone else by a mile.

If you really do have trouble with processing speed, you should get reevaluated. There could be something else at hand, another disability, that's being misconstrued as being a part of your Asperger's.


Actually, the only reason I really needed extra time on my exams for one class this past semester id because they involved a lot of writing and I am not good at that. The professor didn't want me to use a computer so I needed extra time. I also have arthritis so handwriting is not my forte. Remember that all people with Asperger's are highly unique not only when compared to the general populace but also when compared to one another. I never saw a more unique set of characters in one place than at my high school!

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:04 am

Philosopher King wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I teach 2 students with Asperger's. The only accommodations they receive in my classroom (as outlined in their IEP) are the use of a small computer to type, as handwriting is generally difficult for students with Asperger's. (Also some things to help them behaviorally, socially, etc, but that's not relevant in this thread). They don't need extra time on tests. They generally finish before everyone else by a mile.

If you really do have trouble with processing speed, you should get reevaluated. There could be something else at hand, another disability, that's being misconstrued as being a part of your Asperger's.


Actually, the only reason I really needed extra time on my exams for one class this past semester id because they involved a lot of writing and I am not good at that. The professor didn't want me to use a computer so I needed extra time. I also have arthritis so handwriting is not my forte. Remember that all people with Asperger's are highly unique not only when compared to the general populace but also when compared to one another. I never saw a more unique set of characters in one place than at my high school!

So, handwriting is why you would need extra time? Not seeing how that translates to filling in bubbles... Sorry.

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby Philosopher King » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:06 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I teach 2 students with Asperger's. The only accommodations they receive in my classroom (as outlined in their IEP) are the use of a small computer to type, as handwriting is generally difficult for students with Asperger's. (Also some things to help them behaviorally, socially, etc, but that's not relevant in this thread). They don't need extra time on tests. They generally finish before everyone else by a mile.

If you really do have trouble with processing speed, you should get reevaluated. There could be something else at hand, another disability, that's being misconstrued as being a part of your Asperger's.


Actually, the only reason I really needed extra time on my exams for one class this past semester id because they involved a lot of writing and I am not good at that. The professor didn't want me to use a computer so I needed extra time. I also have arthritis so handwriting is not my forte. Remember that all people with Asperger's are highly unique not only when compared to the general populace but also when compared to one another. I never saw a more unique set of characters in one place than at my high school!

So, handwriting is why you would need extra time? Not seeing how that translates to filling in bubbles... Sorry.


That was the main reason I needed my extra time in one class last semester. If I could have typed it I could have finished almost on time.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:07 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I teach 2 students with Asperger's. The only accommodations they receive in my classroom (as outlined in their IEP) are the use of a small computer to type, as handwriting is generally difficult for students with Asperger's. (Also some things to help them behaviorally, socially, etc, but that's not relevant in this thread). They don't need extra time on tests. They generally finish before everyone else by a mile.

If you really do have trouble with processing speed, you should get reevaluated. There could be something else at hand, another disability, that's being misconstrued as being a part of your Asperger's.


Actually, the only reason I really needed extra time on my exams for one class this past semester id because they involved a lot of writing and I am not good at that. The professor didn't want me to use a computer so I needed extra time. I also have arthritis so handwriting is not my forte. Remember that all people with Asperger's are highly unique not only when compared to the general populace but also when compared to one another. I never saw a more unique set of characters in one place than at my high school!

So, handwriting is why you would need extra time? Not seeing how that translates to filling in bubbles... Sorry.


Agreed. I would totally buy a computer during the writing section though.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:09 am

Philosopher King wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I teach 2 students with Asperger's. The only accommodations they receive in my classroom (as outlined in their IEP) are the use of a small computer to type, as handwriting is generally difficult for students with Asperger's. (Also some things to help them behaviorally, socially, etc, but that's not relevant in this thread). They don't need extra time on tests. They generally finish before everyone else by a mile.

If you really do have trouble with processing speed, you should get reevaluated. There could be something else at hand, another disability, that's being misconstrued as being a part of your Asperger's.


Actually, the only reason I really needed extra time on my exams for one class this past semester id because they involved a lot of writing and I am not good at that. The professor didn't want me to use a computer so I needed extra time. I also have arthritis so handwriting is not my forte. Remember that all people with Asperger's are highly unique not only when compared to the general populace but also when compared to one another. I never saw a more unique set of characters in one place than at my high school!

So, handwriting is why you would need extra time? Not seeing how that translates to filling in bubbles... Sorry.


That was the main reason I needed my extra time in one class last semester. If I could have typed it I could have finished almost on time.

Actually, I retract my previous comment. Diagramming games can be writing-intensive, so I can see why that would be necessary. But this seems to be a physical issue rather than due to your slow processing speed, no? I just feel like you're changing your story a little bit as more questions are asked.

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby suspicious android » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:11 am

Philosopher King wrote:That was the main reason I needed my extra time in one class last semester. If I could have typed it I could have finished almost on time.


So you don't generally need extra time for your college classes, and it sounds like you don't need extra time for the LSAT either, since you already showed you can outscore the majority of testtakers. Good job, sounds like things are working out for you.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby emkay625 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:14 am

I'm also shocked about this special-education high school you went to. That's a blatant violation of IDEA as it is by far the MOST restrictive environment, and for schools to be in compliance with federal regulations, students are required to be placed in the least-restrictive educational environment. Would you mind elaborating a bit more on that situation? (This is not a gotcha kind of question - as a teacher with a dual sped/math 8 - 12 certification i really am curious and also a little horrified that your school district did this).

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: I called LSAC about accommodated scores

Postby Philosopher King » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:15 am

birdlaw117 wrote:Actually, I retract my previous comment. Diagramming games can be writing-intensive, so I can see why that would be necessary. But this seems to be a physical issue rather than due to your slow processing speed, no? I just feel like you're changing your story a little bit as more questions are asked.


No I'm not changing my story but something was mentioned that caused me to explain my problem with handwriting. My slow processing speed can seem worse than it really is with a writing intensive exam that I can't use a computer for. That has little, if anything, to do with the LSAT. For law school final exams this would be a factor. I probably wouldn't need time-and-half if I could use a computer BUT I would still need SOME extra time. Also, my arthritis pain still affects typing after a real lot of typing.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore and 6 guests