CHOKED on the LSAT...NEED ADVICE

User avatar
breadbucket
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Re: CHOKED on the LSAT...NEED ADVICE

Postby breadbucket » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:59 am

Errzii wrote:
breadbucket wrote:
Errzii wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:That's psychosomatic bullshit, Errzii.


It wasn't serious, I was jokingly mocking breadbucket. Guess it didn't translate well through the intarwebs.


you are a fool if you think your control over the test is limited to your ability to do the problems


sorry, what was the point you're trying to making again? caffeine/theanine = +5 pts on the LSAT?


No, that factors outside of merely "studying" (which is all tsler's ever talk about) can have an effect on your score. In this particular instance, i.e. not a strawman generalization as you are trying to do, it helped me. Science supports the idea that caffeinie, theanine, and to a larger extent adderall have positive effects on cognition. It may have a smaller or larger impact depending on the person or the circumstance. My point is, all these people in here are trying to persuade opp to kick the adderall when it seems they have no reason to suggest such an action save the fact that Op's scores are low. Why the adderall is to blame is beyond me, particularly considering scientific studies show that adderall is 1.) effective, and 2.) those who quit the drug see a reduction in concentration, grades, test scores etc.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: CHOKED on the LSAT...NEED ADVICE

Postby bruss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:26 am

Op if you scourge the prep forum most stated that this RC was the hardest. So if you feel you are up to it retake Feb. Also as far as the Adderall thing, take a 2pt's without it and with it..then compare results then you make a decision that you feel will best help you. But remember you were PTing at 176 with Adderall

GL hope to see you in feb

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: CHOKED on the LSAT...NEED ADVICE

Postby bruss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:33 am

breadbucket wrote:No, that factors outside of merely "studying" (which is all tsler's ever talk about) can have an effect on your score. In this particular instance, i.e. not a strawman generalization as you are trying to do, it helped me. Science supports the idea that caffeinie, theanine, and to a larger extent adderall have positive effects on cognition. It may have a smaller or larger impact depending on the person or the circumstance. My point is, all these people in here are trying to persuade opp to kick the adderall when it seems they have no reason to suggest such an action save the fact that Op's scores are low. Why the adderall is to blame is beyond me, particularly considering scientific studies show that adderall is 1.) effective, and 2.) those who quit the drug see a reduction in concentration, grades, test scores etc.


I think what people are trying to say is that Adderall sometimes causes one to focus on the wrong thing. No one here has denied its power to help you gain focus. The main thing that we need to know is if the drop off in concentration (when one stops taking it) is so bad that it effect test performance. or if the drop in concentration (when one stops taking it) frees the mind to concentrate on what it wants to concentrate on (the current task at hand).

User avatar
Errzii
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 am

Re: CHOKED on the LSAT...NEED ADVICE

Postby Errzii » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:26 am

breadbucket wrote:No, that factors outside of merely "studying" (which is all tsler's ever talk about) can have an effect on your score. In this particular instance, i.e. not a strawman generalization as you are trying to do, it helped me. Science supports the idea that caffeinie, theanine, and to a larger extent adderall have positive effects on cognition. It may have a smaller or larger impact depending on the person or the circumstance. My point is, all these people in here are trying to persuade opp to kick the adderall when it seems they have no reason to suggest such an action save the fact that Op's scores are low. Why the adderall is to blame is beyond me, particularly considering scientific studies show that adderall is 1.) effective, and 2.) those who quit the drug see a reduction in concentration, grades, test scores etc.


Have you considered that maybe substances don't necessarily affect people in the exact same way every single time? Is it perhaps possible that *gasp* substances don't always produce the exact same results when accounting for various other factors, e.g., the environment the individual is in? What if his anxiety/stress/etc. during test day combined with adderall actually causes his performance to suffer and contributes to his choking/panicking? That would at least partially explain the inconsistency between his prep and actual testing results. The fact is he has already tested with adderall (twice) and gotten subpar results when compared with his prep performance. Is it really that unthinkable that we suggest a different approach? Obviously, he feels adderall is relevant enough to mention it so naturally that is a variable that we focus on and consider. For the record, I never said adderall isn't effective. But I do think it's possible that it could be one of many other factors that may be responsible for the discrepancy between his prep scores and actual scores. At any rate, what does he have to lose by trying and seeing for himself?




Or I guess alternatively he could just hit up GNC.

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: CHOKED on the LSAT...NEED ADVICE

Postby hyakku » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Your situation has me worried, but not for the reasons you might think.

Your problem is clearly anxiety, and I am not sure what effect Adderall has on that. I'd call it a self-confidence problem. Your post indicates this in your grammar and your use of capitals.



LOL no one else noticed this?

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: CHOKED on the LSAT...NEED ADVICE

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Talk to the doctor who prescribed the Adderall. He/she would be able to give you much better advice than a bunch of law/pre-law students on the internet.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: CHOKED on the LSAT...NEED ADVICE

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:Talk to the doctor who prescribed the Adderall. He/she would be able to give you much better advice than a bunch of law/pre-law students on the internet.


In theory at least. You never know.... :? I've had some bloody horrible doctors.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: CHOKED on the LSAT...NEED ADVICE

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Wow this thread is insane. OP all I have to say is that if anxiety or the drugs are the issue, get that taken care of before law school. Law school messes with people. You don't want to deal with this during school.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests