Need a 5 month plan, pithypike vs lsatblog vs your method

keyanaut

Need a 5 month plan, pithypike vs lsatblog vs your method

Postby keyanaut » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Hey guys, I'm taking the June 2011 test and starting next Monday for prep. A little background: I half assed my first test @ Oct 2011, scored a 156. Then, I put in a solid month of studying everyday, with PTs averaging around 165, and ranging from 162-170. Lo and behold, I score a 154 on the Dec '11 test. I guess I just froze and fluked. It's probably a blessing in disguise, but feels pretty shitty. I'm in the DFW area and will probably only be applying to SMU with Baylor and Houston as backups. I hope to get a 170, but a 165+ will suffice. I'm in a unique situation because I run a family business, meaning I work roughly ~50 hrs/week (although there is downtime to study at work.)

What was your study method? Do you like Pithypike or LSATBLOG better? Place a review. Any other methods? Help me outtttt.

pdeturk

Re: Need a 5 month plan, pithypike vs lsatblog vs your method

Postby pdeturk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 pm

keyanaut wrote:Hey guys, I'm taking the June 2011 test and starting next Monday for prep. A little background: I half assed my first test @ Oct 2011, scored a 156. Then, I put in a solid month of studying everyday, with PTs averaging around 165, and ranging from 162-170. Lo and behold, I score a 154 on the Dec '11 test. I guess I just froze and fluked. It's probably a blessing in disguise, but feels pretty shitty. I'm in the DFW area and will probably only be applying to SMU with Baylor and Houston as backups. I hope to get a 170, but a 165+ will suffice. I'm in a unique situation because I run a family business, meaning I work roughly ~50 hrs/week (although there is downtime to study at work.)

What was your study method? Do you like Pithypike or LSATBLOG better? Place a review. Any other methods? Help me outtttt.

also interested in this topic

keyanaut

Postby keyanaut » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:23 pm

lsatblogs 5 month day by day seems perfect to start soon. anyone have an opinion on this?

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:56 pm

I am interested in a review/recommendation, as well.

everest1

Postby everest1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Also interested in this, but unlike the OP i have about 20-25 hours/week to study. i thought about buying the day by day LSATblog plan, but i'm worried that it doesn't have enough PTs. I'd like to take 15-20 by the time I sit down for the actual test in June.

So far I've been going very slowly through the LR bible, making flash cards and memorizing all of the rules. Once I work my way though the rest of the book, I'm going do a few LR sections, at first untimed to identify my weaknesses and then timed to work on pacing. I'm planning on buying the kaplan book (the big orange one, i think?) with the LR questions grouped by topic and difficulty and then drill on my weaknesses.

While I'm drilling on LR, I'm going to work my way through the LG bible in the same way. After that I'm not really sure what I'll do. Probably going to get the manhattan RC book as it seems to be the favorite around here, and then probably just PT and drill my weaknesses.

It seems like getting a solid foundation is essential for actually understanding the content of the LSAT so I'm not going to rush my way through these beginning phases, but I'm hoping to be PTing/drilling around January 20th or so... but on second thought that would have me doing 38PTs, assuming I'm doing 2 a week, and that sounds a little excessive. I might have to change that up.

How are you all planning on drilling? I think that drilling weaknesses is really important, but I don't want to taint any PTs. Any suggestions for this?

Anyway, if anyone has any input for a 5 month study plan it would be really appreciated!

danitt

Postby danitt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:48 pm

How are you all planning on drilling? I think that drilling weaknesses is really important, but I don't want to taint any PTs. Any suggestions for this?

I was planning on purchasing the LG Repetition Workbooks. They repeat each games three times. There are also workbooks from Cambridge LSAT for LR drilling.

bob-loblaw

Postby bob-loblaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:57 pm

For my Dec 2011 retake I purchased LSAT Blog's 3-month daily study guide. This guide REALLY helped me. I'm someone that needs studying scheduled out for me or else I just get lost in all the material I have to cover. He also provides a free 3-month weekly guide but the daily one is a lot more detailed and gives you a sort of checklist to get done every day. Plus it's efficient without being overkill - he gives you plenty of days to rest, which I think is also very important as the last thing you need is to burn out on this stuff. At first I was hesitant to spend the money but I was really glad I did. Ended up bumping my score from a 159 last Dec to a 165 this Dec (although I was PT-ing around 169). Last year I tried to prep with Princeton Review classes but it wasn't nearly as helpful. Steve just makes you practice many different questions til it all becomes routine. It probably also helped me that I was a lot more motivated this time around since I was retaking and applying to schools for next fall (the first one was kind of a pre-emptive measure).

Anyway, TL;DR I think his daily study guides are worth it!

everest1

Postby everest1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:59 pm

danitt wrote:

I was planning on purchasing the LG Repetition Workbooks. They repeat each games three times. There are also workbooks from Cambridge LSAT for LR drilling.

So then do all of the questions from these books come from older LSATs? because then you could use more recent LSATs for PTs, which would probably be more beneficial anyway. thanks for the tip, I'll check these books out!

keyanaut

Postby keyanaut » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:26 pm

bob-loblaw wrote:For my Dec 2011 retake I purchased LSAT Blog's 3-month daily study guide. This guide REALLY helped me. I'm someone that needs studying scheduled out for me or else I just get lost in all the material I have to cover. He also provides a free 3-month weekly guide but the daily one is a lot more detailed and gives you a sort of checklist to get done every day. Plus it's efficient without being overkill - he gives you plenty of days to rest, which I think is also very important as the last thing you need is to burn out on this stuff. At first I was hesitant to spend the money but I was really glad I did. Ended up bumping my score from a 159 last Dec to a 165 this Dec (although I was PT-ing around 169). Last year I tried to prep with Princeton Review classes but it wasn't nearly as helpful. Steve just makes you practice many different questions til it all becomes routine. It probably also helped me that I was a lot more motivated this time around since I was retaking and applying to schools for next fall (the first one was kind of a pre-emptive measure).

What all books does he make you purchase? Was there extensive LR review in the curriculum?

Also, I think I have about 15-25 hours of studying each week. Is that sufficient?

caminante

Postby caminante » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:44 pm

I loosely followed the LSAT Blog free weekly 4 month study plan. I think it definitely helped me get an idea of what I needed to do. However, I think it's incredibly important to be flexible and assess your strengths and weaknesses as well as what type of studying works for you, and tailor a plan to meed those needs. I think sticking rigidly to a plan is probably not the best idea for most people, because you never know what will come easily for you and what will take you more time to master.

The only thing I took from pithypike was copying the logic games to repeat. That was very helpful.

Good luck, you have plenty of time!

bob-loblaw

Postby bob-loblaw » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:25 am

keyanaut wrote:
bob-loblaw wrote:For my Dec 2011 retake I purchased LSAT Blog's 3-month daily study guide. This guide REALLY helped me. I'm someone that needs studying scheduled out for me or else I just get lost in all the material I have to cover. He also provides a free 3-month weekly guide but the daily one is a lot more detailed and gives you a sort of checklist to get done every day. Plus it's efficient without being overkill - he gives you plenty of days to rest, which I think is also very important as the last thing you need is to burn out on this stuff. At first I was hesitant to spend the money but I was really glad I did. Ended up bumping my score from a 159 last Dec to a 165 this Dec (although I was PT-ing around 169). Last year I tried to prep with Princeton Review classes but it wasn't nearly as helpful. Steve just makes you practice many different questions til it all becomes routine. It probably also helped me that I was a lot more motivated this time around since I was retaking and applying to schools for next fall (the first one was kind of a pre-emptive measure).

What all books does he make you purchase? Was there extensive LR review in the curriculum?

Also, I think I have about 15-25 hours of studying each week. Is that sufficient?

I'd say 15-25 is sufficient. For the 3-month plan, the last month you're just doing PT's and reviewing them every other day. He uses the LG and LR bibles in his study guides, and then you have to purchase the PT's as well. He provides links to his blog entries too.

bob-loblaw

Postby bob-loblaw » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 am

caminante wrote:I loosely followed the LSAT Blog free weekly 4 month study plan. I think it definitely helped me get an idea of what I needed to do. However, I think it's incredibly important to be flexible and assess your strengths and weaknesses as well as what type of studying works for you, and tailor a plan to meed those needs. I think sticking rigidly to a plan is probably not the best idea for most people, because you never know what will come easily for you and what will take you more time to master.

The only thing I took from pithypike was copying the logic games to repeat. That was very helpful.

Good luck, you have plenty of time!

Yes this is a very good point. I was lucky that I was able to keep up with the plan and everything was going ok, but I did feel that for someone who might have difficulty with one area of studying would have to figure out how to work on that on their own, as the daily plan didn't leave any time for that. So if you know you'll need extra time to work on certain sections then you'll have to factor that in as well.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

everest1

Postby everest1 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:37 am

Just saw in another thread that Cambridge is selling LSAT bundles, including all LR/LG questions arranged by type and difficulty for tests 1-38 and PTs 39-64 in their entirety. I'm thinking about buying this: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/productdet ... ackage/421

I've been looking for drilling books, and it seems like the LR/LG arranged by type and difficulty would be great for that. but this will taint all PTs 1-38, leaving only 25PTs left for *real* PTs. I was hoping to do more like 30-40. I guess I could always just use the books to drill and start with ~PT 20, because it won't really matter if I've already seen a few problems from the first few PTs anyway. And then by the time I'm seriously prepping for the test in June I'll have the 25 most recent PTs to do. Another downside is that the files are .pdfs, and you dont get actual LSAT booklets... but i'm not sure if this will really make any difference. Thoughts/input? Will this be sufficient prep for a 170+?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”