DEC 11 Lsat 135... need your advice in deciding

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

DEC 11 Lsat 135... need your advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 am

OK, well I got my devastating score while I was on duty at work. I see so many people on "what are my chances" with 160+ and 170+ and I say to myself Why I can't be one of them.. My GPA is 3.4 but my LSAT score sucks major balls. This is my second test my last test was in October 2010.. All i can say is that even though I had 50+ pts at home I ended up doing merely 6 for this test.. I ran out of time and I was pressured from home to apply this fall.


I have just one major question to ask as to I am too ashamed to ask my friends this that should i reconsider another career even though I want to see myself go to law school..

please give me your best opinion Because I know some people on here have also scored 135s in their tests.. any words of wisdom will be inspirational during this time of crisis in my life

thank you

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:36 am

Can I get an autograph please?

User avatar
D'Angelo
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 am

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby D'Angelo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:38 am

was this around your PT average???

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:39 am

D'Angelo wrote:was this around your PT average???

my pt was 145-150

among the 6 pts i took

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:41 am

What's your exact problem with the test and what did your preparation consist of?

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:42 am

Blessedassurance wrote:Can I get an autograph please?


very funny

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:42 am

Blessedassurance wrote:What's your exact problem with the test and what did your preparation consist of?


I studied for 4 months using PS bibles, and Manhattan RC Book... and the 4month study plan by the guy from lsatblog.

before the test in my practice I was doing pretty good in games, as that is my best section, worst is RC... but on the actual day i did better on RC comparatively to LG section..

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby llachans » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 am

DoctorLaw wrote:
D'Angelo wrote:was this around your PT average???

my pt was 145-150

among the 6 pts i took

Do way more than 6 PTs. I bet your score will improve drastically with that, as well as with studying the Power Score books. Good luck!

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby llachans » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 am

OP - How much time did you run out of? Maybe because you only did 6 PTs, you weren't able to build the endurance you needed? I'm not sure. Honestly, with 4 months of prep, you should've been in better shape. If you really want to continue with your law school dreams, look into getting a tutor who can help you nail down the basic concepts of LG and then drill them through PTs and other studying methods.

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 am

llachans wrote:OP - How much time did you run out of? Maybe because you only did 6 PTs, you weren't able to build the endurance you needed? I'm not sure. Honestly, with 4 months of prep, you should've been in better shape. If you really want to continue with your law school dreams, look into getting a tutor who can help you nail down the basic concepts of LG and then drill them through PTs and other studying methods.


yeah I was considering the same approach, either a tutor or taking a prep course.. But Rightnow my best bet is a tutor since I am federal employee and prep course schedule conflicts with my work schedule..

I read from discussion here that best way to study is to learn from your wrong answers and why you picked those choices.. i ran out of time because I didn't really do the best reviews of my pts.. and my time of prep wasn't intense it was about 2-3 hours everyday.. considering me getting back home around 8:30 at night..

but my last time taking this test again I am giving myself alot more time and shooting for the october test..

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby yo! » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:55 am

Consider doing something else. You're creating an extreme uphill battle for yourself. I can't even begin to tell you how many 2L's I know that scored well on the test and wish they had done something else (also: most of them had outside pressure to enter law school-obviously a terrible reason to make this investment). Your low score just makes the decision a little easier. If you have someone paying for your school, are just DYING to be an attorney, or enjoy misery.......well.........by all means, fucking go for it.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:56 am

You leave out a crucial piece of information: your December 2010 LSAT score.

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:00 am

yo! wrote:Consider doing something else. You're creating an extreme uphill battle for yourself. I can't even begin to tell you how many 2L's I know that scored well on the test and wish they had done something else (also: most of them had outside pressure to enter law school-obviously a terrible reason to make this investment). Your low score just makes the decision a little easier. If you have someone paying for your school, are just DYING to be an attorney, or enjoy misery.......well.........by all means, fucking go for it.


exact words my mother told me except for the 'story about 2Ls' the only thing that annoys me is that i ran around professors getting my LORS in college back in February, now looking for another career is starting all over with finding academic profs that if they still remember me who can write me another LOr (other then the one from my work).

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby yo! » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 am

DoctorLaw wrote:
yo! wrote:Consider doing something else. You're creating an extreme uphill battle for yourself. I can't even begin to tell you how many 2L's I know that scored well on the test and wish they had done something else (also: most of them had outside pressure to enter law school-obviously a terrible reason to make this investment). Your low score just makes the decision a little easier. If you have someone paying for your school, are just DYING to be an attorney, or enjoy misery.......well.........by all means, fucking go for it.


exact words my mother told me except for the 'story about 2Ls' the only thing that annoys me is that i ran around professors getting my LORS in college back in February, now looking for another career is starting all over with finding academic profs that if they still remember me who can write me another LOr (other then the one from my work).


Jesus Christ man.....I'm tired......and this Orange Bowl is a joke, so I guess that's why I am responding to this. Do you mean to tell me that the reason you don't want to look at another career path is because you already have LORs for law school? Please tell me that you are not fucking serious. If you are trolling, bravo my friend.......bravo.

lushes3
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby lushes3 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:13 am

I don't think you necessarily need to consider another career if Law is really what you want to do. It sounds like you just weren't ready for the test. Study harder and retake and see how you do. And here's something that should be a bit uplifting: a friend of mine works in a law office, for a lawyer that's only a couple of years out of law school. He got basically around the same score as you on his lsat, and never even retook it. He went to like the one school that accepted him (yes he got accepted somewhere), and then transferred several times until he ended up in a pretty decent school (not T14 or anything, but its like 49th in rank or something like that). Anyway, his clients see the diploma from that school, he makes decent money, and nobody really knows about his LSAT fail.

good luck

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:24 am

yo! wrote:
DoctorLaw wrote:
yo! wrote:Consider doing something else. You're creating an extreme uphill battle for yourself. I can't even begin to tell you how many 2L's I know that scored well on the test and wish they had done something else (also: most of them had outside pressure to enter law school-obviously a terrible reason to make this investment). Your low score just makes the decision a little easier. If you have someone paying for your school, are just DYING to be an attorney, or enjoy misery.......well.........by all means, fucking go for it.


exact words my mother told me except for the 'story about 2Ls' the only thing that annoys me is that i ran around professors getting my LORS in college back in February, now looking for another career is starting all over with finding academic profs that if they still remember me who can write me another LOr (other then the one from my work).


Jesus Christ man.....I'm tired......and this Orange Bowl is a joke, so I guess that's why I am responding to this. Do you mean to tell me that the reason you don't want to look at another career path is because you already have LORs for law school? Please tell me that you are not fucking serious. If you are trolling, bravo my friend.......bravo.


lol def not what I meant, i meant to say I did all that work and I cant quit now.

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:26 am

lushes3 wrote:I don't think you necessarily need to consider another career if Law is really what you want to do. It sounds like you just weren't ready for the test. Study harder and retake and see how you do. And here's something that should be a bit uplifting: a friend of mine works in a law office, for a lawyer that's only a couple of years out of law school. He got basically around the same score as you on his lsat, and never even retook it. He went to like the one school that accepted him (yes he got accepted somewhere), and then transferred several times until he ended up in a pretty decent school (not T14 or anything, but its like 49th in rank or something like that). Anyway, his clients see the diploma from that school, he makes decent money, and nobody really knows about his LSAT fail.

good luck



thanks, honestly I am still applying to schools because I have waived applications, I guess nothing to lose.. at the same time I am still going to be studying for the next test.. Hopefully looking through application/PS/DS/resume/gpa (maybenot) there might be a chance I get into a decent school in NY area..

but thanks for sharing a story to inspire me to not quit

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:45 am

DoctorLaw wrote:thanks, honestly I am still applying to schools because I have waived applications, I guess nothing to lose.. at the same time I am still going to be studying for the next test.. Hopefully looking through application/PS/DS/resume/gpa (maybenot) there might be a chance I get into a decent school in NY area..

but thanks for sharing a story to inspire me to not quit


I really hate to discourage people but I really think you should quit while you're ahead.

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:51 am

I really hate to discourage people but I really think you should quit while you're ahead.[/quote]

hm well u dont think studying for October'12 test with 8 months of time can lead me to a better score?

User avatar
flyingduck
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby flyingduck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:09 am

If you really know that you want/need to be a lawyer then study hard for the next exam. Don't bother applying this cycle because you will be extremely hard-pressed to find a decent school in the NY area that will take a 135 and give you a decent chance at good employment.

And just some LSAT advice, IMHO what you did to prepare for the December test did not work. I recommend you take a class and as many PTs as you can. Some classes actually have you complete almost every actual past LSAT exam. It is possible to raise your score 15+ points.

ryemanhattan
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby ryemanhattan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:14 am

Do the last thirty practice tests. seriously. You'll hit the 150s. However... given the prospects of even a 155 3.4, you may want to reconsider law school.

User avatar
highopes337
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby highopes337 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 am

If you want it bad enough, you can drastically improve your score. Study hard; recognize your weaknesses and correct them. You need to do waaaayyyy more than 6 prep tests. Repetition and familiarization with question-types is key on the LSAT. Good luck!

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need you're advice in deciding

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:19 am

yes you guys are right.. I guess my starting point is from 135-140 while everyone elses is from 150s (as their first diag). Maybe being not a native english speaker, this is the downfall.

yeah I am actually focusing my mind for October 12 the latest if not ready by June.. thanks, once again

I wanna see myself go to law school, even if I may not practice after, I can use my higher degree to my current job and rise up the grades, since I am a fed employee.

slsplease
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need your advice in deciding

Postby slsplease » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:37 am

If you aren't a native speaker it is understandable that the LSAT would pose some serious challenges. LR and RC are both require strong knowledge of the niceties of English.

I think this forum seems to over dramatize the importance of rank because of its focus on BigLaw. You have to accept, I think, that BigLaw is going to be very difficult to attain for someone in your position. Even if you aren't set on making $160,000, finding a job that will justify the investment in tuition will require a lot of work, and you must totally commit yourself. The 8 months of studying will only be the beginning.

This being the case, it makes sense for you to sit down and consider your options.

chuffedtobits
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: DEC 11 Lsat 135... need your advice in deciding

Postby chuffedtobits » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:58 am

Assuming you you can gain 20 points and have strong softs it would still be hard for you to get into a decent NY school. And what then? There are still 3 years of law school to contend with and a LOT of English. Not to mention the enormous debt load and lost of income you must factor in.

You say you have a federal job. Why not try for graduate school instead? It moves you up the ranks and is a much safer investment in your case.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Instrumental, ltowns1, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests