Need to hear successful retake stories!

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 pm

You've gotten a lot of replies. Awesome. I first studied for about 25 hours a week for 6 months while taking 15 credits and working part time as well, thinking I was extremely prepared and ready to knock it out of the park. Unfortunately nerves took control and I knew I had to cancel my first sitting. This was extremely disappointing but I adjusted my strategy, kept studying for the next few months and sat for the second time. This resulted in a 166, about 3 below my average PT. I knew I was capable of a few more points, so I went back to the drawing board for another couple months. I ended up with a 169. It was a long year that took some serious studying adjustments and some long nights, but I was happy to raise my diagnostic 18 points the final time I sat for it.

Just keep studying, and don't be afraid to change things up. Mental performance is at least half of the LSAT on test day and isn't given too much attention. You'll retake and do great. Good luck!

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby JAJAcinco » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:24 am

princeR wrote:
JAJAcinco wrote:Practice practice practice. No matter what your first score was, realize and capitalize on the huge advantage you have from the experience of already having taken it once. The right frame of mind is invaluable.

I had to travel for my retake and thanks to some bedbugs, ended up only getting 4 hours of sleep at most. Still ended up with a 5 point boost to 172.

Not saying this to toot my horn, but rather to make a point that an increase is definitely possible. KEEP THE FAITH

When were the two tests taken? What did you do differently?

June 2011 and October 2011
My problem wasn't the questions themselves as much as the time limit/endurance. I tailored the way I attacked LR (for me, I found the general best way was to cover up the answers while reading the question stem) and for endurance arranged my last 12 PTs before Oct as 6-sections with only a 5 minute break halfway through.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”