Need to hear successful retake stories!

User avatar
Uklawstudent123
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Uklawstudent123 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 pm

So after bombing Dec LSAT and scoring the same as my diagnostic (155), which i took 2 months ago, I need to hear some successful retake stories so I know my ideal score (168+) in June is possible.

Background: Work FT and spent 7 weeks studying for Dec, highest PT was 174, lowest 166. December was a complete train wreck, 3 hrs sleep and just completely freaked out halfway through section 1. In hindsight probably should of cancelled but naively thought I would at least be in the low 60s. Boy was I wrong!!

Someone please show me improvement is possible because I'm pretty devastated right now... :(

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby charliep » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:13 am

Uklawstudent123 wrote:So after bombing Dec LSAT and scoring the same as my diagnostic (155), which i took 2 months ago, I need to hear some successful retake stories so I know my ideal score (168+) in June is possible.

Background: Work FT and spent 7 weeks studying for Dec, highest PT was 174, lowest 166. December was a complete train wreck, 3 hrs sleep and just completely freaked out halfway through section 1. In hindsight probably should of cancelled but naively thought I would at least be in the low 60s. Boy was I wrong!!

Someone please show me improvement is possible because I'm pretty devastated right now... :(


i had a 154, 156, 169. it's definitely possible, especially with your practice test scores.

User avatar
Uklawstudent123
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Uklawstudent123 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:15 am

luxxe wrote:How many PTs did you take? I don't think 7 weeks is enough time to study/take enough PTs/throughly review.


I think about 8, basically one a weekend. During the week I did a couple of timed sections when I got home from work. I used a couple of Kaplan books but mostly just the tests themselves.

Beginning to realize now after looking through these forums, I severely underestimated how much preparation should go into it.

User avatar
Bobby Dazzler
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 am

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 am

Sorry to hear, I know exactly how it feels. I got a 152 the first time around, cancelled the second, and got a 165 on my last try. My highest PT was a 179, and for weeks before my last try I was consistently PTing in the 170s. Here's my advice, do not retake until June. Take the rest of January off. I mean completely put away anything LSAT related. Go have fun, starting now. Then on February 1 you sit down and take another PT cold. Focus on your weak areas and keep taking tons of PTs until test day. As far as what materials to use I'm sure you will find other advice on here, but for me just taking and going over tons of PTs and reading the powerscore bibles worked out.

User avatar
Uklawstudent123
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Uklawstudent123 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 am

charliep wrote:
i had a 154, 156, 169. it's definitely possible, especially with your practice test scores.


Thank you! Any tips on how you made the jump from 156 to 169?

Congrats btw that's an awesome score.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby rebexness » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:21 am

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allmodcons
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby allmodcons » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:24 am

.
Last edited by allmodcons on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Uklawstudent123
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Uklawstudent123 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:24 am

Bobby Dazzler wrote:Sorry to hear, I know exactly how it feels. I got a 152 the first time around, cancelled the second, and got a 165 on my last try. My highest PT was a 179, and for weeks before my last try I was consistently PTing in the 170s. Here's my advice, do not retake until June. Take the rest of January off. I mean completely put away anything LSAT related. Go have fun, starting now. Then on February 1 you sit down and take another PT cold. Focus on your weak areas and keep taking tons of PTs until test day. As far as what materials to use I'm sure you will find other advice on here, but for me just taking and going over tons of PTs and reading the powerscore bibles worked out.


Thank you! Great advice and congrats on the jump! I am defiantly going to take the month off and try and get my sanity back!

I guess the silver lining here is instead of applying late in the cycle I can get my apps in the first day they open in Sept :)

bob-loblaw
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:58 am

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby bob-loblaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:27 am

I went up from a 159 last Dec to a 165 this Dec. Not as high as you want but I was pretty pleased with the score jump. And I achieved that on 1 hour of sleep and despite BOMBING the games section (-10, lol). I think what really helped me during the test was just keeping a steady calm focus, as best as I could. I was tired as shit and blindly guessed on a lot of questions in the games section but I kept on going. I'm not sure how you achieve this but what I'm trying to say is, attitude and perspective are really important. As for the studying, I think it's crucial to have a significant amount of time off to focus solely on the test. Of course this isn't possible for everyone but it helped me a lot to not have many distractions in "real life" for about 3 months.

User avatar
Uklawstudent123
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Uklawstudent123 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 am

rebexness wrote:I just did the same thing, except my retake was the same as my last LSAT. My score was almost the same as yours, and my goal is almost the same as yours.

Waiting until I'm eligible to take it again (4th time) and hopefully gonna nail it. Gotta commit to the studying.

Good luck! Its definitely possible.


We can do it! The more I read other people's stories i am becoming a lot more optimistic about the whole thing :)

User avatar
DoctorLaw
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby DoctorLaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:09 am

Uklawstudent123 wrote:
rebexness wrote:I just did the same thing, except my retake was the same as my last LSAT. My score was almost the same as yours, and my goal is almost the same as yours.

Waiting until I'm eligible to take it again (4th time) and hopefully gonna nail it. Gotta commit to the studying.

Good luck! Its definitely possible.


We can do it! The more I read other people's stories i am becoming a lot more optimistic about the whole thing :)


your thread has given me my doze of optimism to try once again

Phightins
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Phightins » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 am

Took the September 2007 test with minimal prep and scored 154. Applied to 14 schools and got 14 dings. Got the itch to take another crack at it while working in the legal profession. Picked up the PS LG Bible and went from -15 to -6 in the December test. Got -4 on RC but bombed LR but still improved my score enough to open up many more options. May still retake in June depending on the outcome of this cycle, I'm confident that I can improve on my weaker sections with enough practice and study. Best of luck!

User avatar
Elliott_Smith
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:34 am

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Elliott_Smith » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:55 am

I was able to move up 7 points from October to December. For me, it was just a matter of doing consistent preptests - at least two or three sections a day,and a full PT whenever I had time. You just need to get to a place where the questions are familiar, as everyone makes stupid mistakes on the actual test.

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby thelong » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:04 am

I just went June 166 Oct 168 and Dec 177. Improvement is definitely possible. The big thing for me was establishing a system of attack for each question type and sticking with it on test day. Often the test seems strangely unfamiliar when you're sitting for the real thing and it's easy to throw good habits out the window and try to improvise. Recognize this, shift gear and take the test just like you took all the preptests before.

Good Luck!

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby john1990 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:27 pm

I had a 165 average and hit a 158 June11, then a 166 oct11, aiming for a 170 for feb12

mcdonn
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:55 am

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby mcdonn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Scored a 152 in October and just scored a 166 on the December test. I did a practice test six days a week for a month -- hard work and perseverance will pay off!

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:48 pm

153 on diagnostic. 160 on June LSAT. 172 on October LSAT. It can be done. Just work hard! Good luck :D

kertz
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby kertz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 pm

.
Last edited by kertz on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Uklawstudent123
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Uklawstudent123 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:48 pm

thelong wrote: Often the test seems strangely unfamiliar when you're sitting for the real thing and it's easy to throw good habits out the window and try to improvise.



That is exactly what happened, I had strategies for answering most types of questions and my PTs were getting better and better as I was recognizing the familiar patterns but on test day it was just a complete blur. I came out and couldn't even remember one single question I had just answered, and I certainly wasn't using any methodology :shock:

But, I actually woke up this morning in the best mood I have in weeks, weird! I guess I just know what I have to do now!

And CONGRATS on the 177, bloody hell that is incredible.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:52 pm


ExcelBaller
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby ExcelBaller » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Score 13 points higher on my retake. Live LSAT, master LG and you will own.

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby Shooter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I went from 164 to 172.

Practice in adverse conditions, learn and understand your own individual pacing, develop a consistent approach to logic games, trick yourself into enjoying RC passages, maintain a positive (see: stress free, upbeat, humble) attitude, and never stop focusing on the score you want.

User avatar
JAJAcinco
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby JAJAcinco » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Practice practice practice. No matter what your first score was, realize and capitalize on the huge advantage you have from the experience of already having taken it once. The right frame of mind is invaluable.

I had to travel for my retake and thanks to some bedbugs, ended up only getting 4 hours of sleep at most. Still ended up with a 5 point boost to 172.

Not saying this to toot my horn, but rather to make a point that an increase is definitely possible. KEEP THE FAITH

User avatar
princeR
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby princeR » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:20 pm

JAJAcinco wrote:Practice practice practice. No matter what your first score was, realize and capitalize on the huge advantage you have from the experience of already having taken it once. The right frame of mind is invaluable.

I had to travel for my retake and thanks to some bedbugs, ended up only getting 4 hours of sleep at most. Still ended up with a 5 point boost to 172.

Not saying this to toot my horn, but rather to make a point that an increase is definitely possible. KEEP THE FAITH


When were the two tests taken? What did you do differently?

User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Need to hear successful retake stories!

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Sometimes you honestly just have a bad day. I got a 164 in Oct after PT'ing in the 170-172 range consistently for a month. I went back, studied some more (especially LG which I struggled with) and relaxed. During the lead up to the Oct. test I didn't go out and was freaking out all the time. For December I just tried to relax. The result was good.

I also think that there is enough variance in the tests that some will play to your strengths and some won't. I got lucky in that Dec. I think was pretty standard for me, while Oct was not good for me. Bottom line though, don't lose hope. Improvement is definitely possible.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., cianchetta0, curry1, DumbHollywoodActor, Google [Bot], lnsl123, mrgstephe, MZaf, Pozzo, SeanORaff33, sspeckk, The_Pluviophile, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests