Should I request a handscore??? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NightmanCometh

New

Should I request a handscore???

Post by NightmanCometh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:06 pm

Just got my score back for my December LSAT, and it was unfathomably horrible. About 10 points below my PT average, and a score that I never got even on a PT. More importantly, coming out of the test I felt pretty good about it and was not nervous, etc. Overall I thought I did very well which is what throws me off.

Here's the thing- I took it outside of the US so they don't provide a scantron, they don't provide the # questions missed, or anything (nondisclosed test). I am basically only provided with a single scaled score.

Does anyone know of any instances where LSAC made an error in their grading or score reporting process? Would this just be a shot in the dark? Of course I will focus on the retake for now, but just wondering if this kind of thing ever happened...

Any input appreciated, thanks!

lex529

New

Re: Should I request a handscore???

Post by lex529 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 am

Im in exactly the same situation.
Took the Dec test in Seoul (my 2nd try) and found out today that i got 169. It is a 5 point inrease from my first test but i hate that its shy of a single point from 170! ;( I PTed between 172~175 but i dont care anymore i just want one more point!!! I requested handscoring for my first test too but there was no change. One thing that concerns me is that scores can go LOWER. I really dont wanna risk that!!! God im torn here too. To see my whole year of preparation ending like this surely sucks ;(

mj72

New

Post by mj72 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:44 am

I'm sure there are instances where mistakes are made. And I think it's something like $42 if you want a hand score to be sure.

I will say that I had a "normal" LSAT, and did look at my scantron for errors. Even questions where I'd suspected an incomplete erasure may have led to something counted against me when it shouldn't have been, it ended up scored as someone hand scoring it would have done. I'd have more success complaining about test conditions, like no one ever turning on the air conditioning in 80+ degree heat and high humidity, etc.

I suppose if you're willing to cough up $$ for a retake, an additional $42 for hand scoring isn't horrendous.

NightmanCometh

New

Post by NightmanCometh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:17 am

Yeah, I think $42 is worth my peace of mind...since I have no Scantron to even check. I have absolutely nothing except a single score...

Which leads me to question their policy for making the non-US tests "undisclosed"...seems a bit unfair...

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:30 am

i had a similar experience with my first LSAT (international test, well below my PT average). turned out, i just bombed it. at the same time, it would have driven me crazy wondering. i think the $42 is worth the peace of mind. you should just also prepare yourself for a retake and don't get your hopes up. and i hit my PT average on my retake, so there's hope even if it wasn't a scantron error :)

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:33 am

do it for sure

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”