breaking 170

mazk817k

breaking 170

Postby mazk817k » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:30 am

So far, I took 10 prep test and they all range between 165 and 168.
I only used the powerscores.
If the ranger were wider, I would dig in and try to master the powerscores.
But since the scores are pretty consistent and the range is narrow, I am thinking that I need another material to break 170.
I searched through the forum but it sounds likes all the other preps are recommended except the kaplan.
I prefer to study textbooks exclusively without live/online instructions.
I looked at amazon,ebay and prep companies' websites.
Velocity texts are not available and the core of this prep seems like dave hall's video explanation so it is not for me.
I found some old versions of testmasters, blueprint and Manhattan texts up for sales.
So for a person like me who likes to study alone through the text and wish to hit above 170, what materials would you recommend?
By the way, I am not particularly weak at certain section, I get points off each section somewhat equally.
Any input is appreciated. Thank you all !

justonemoregame

Re: breaking 170

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 am

Have you done any drilling outside of the PS books and 10 full-length tests? The Cambridge books are highly recommended, I think, although I used Kaplan's collection. I thought Manhattan's RC guide was very good, too.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:47 am

LSAT Superprep.
I think that and powerscore are all the materials you need. After awhile texts would just get redundant. To break 170 you should do as many practice tests as you can and really review them after- why you got questions wrong, why the right answer is correct, etc. Eventually you'll start to see patterns in the questions and that will help. Superprep is really good for this because it gives you 3 practice tests with really detailed answer explanations. And it's "official" aka written by people who write LSATs, so I think the info is really useful.
Good luck!

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:06 am

mazk817k wrote:By the way, I am not particularly weak at certain section, I get points off each section somewhat equally.

you probably still miss more of certain types in each section! start by drilling these to see if that will help your score.

otherwise, missing randomly usually means a lack of proper focus and concentration (too little or too much)! how do you normally take tests?

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:29 am

I found it very helpful to go back and redo PTs once they had faded from my memory. Don't just get a problem wrong and move on. You need to figure out why you got that type of problem wrong, and alter your approach to it.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:45 pm

stewie27 wrote:LSAT Superprep.
I think that and powerscore are all the materials you need. After awhile texts would just get redundant. To break 170 you should do as many practice tests as you can and really review them after- why you got questions wrong, why the right answer is correct, etc. Eventually you'll start to see patterns in the questions and that will help. Superprep is really good for this because it gives you 3 practice tests with really detailed answer explanations. And it's "official" aka written by people who write LSATs, so I think the info is really useful.
Good luck!

This.

I was stuck in the same range as you for about two months, but almost Jedi like, I started to better see patterns in the questions and answers. More than not, it helps you get through the easy questions quicker so that the 1-3 per section that make you think, you have more time on.

I also like to use manhattan's lsat website b/c I found it helpful to see other individual's logic in understanding why something was the correct answer. It reinforced important concepts.

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:51 pm

I would do a section (or test) timed, then, without looking at the answers, go through it again and shoot for 100%. Only then would I look at the answer key. This really helped refine my thought process and gave me a deeper understanding of the material (in a relatively short period of time, as well).

princeR

Postby princeR » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:51 pm

QuincyWagstaff wrote:I would do a section (or test) timed, then, without looking at the answers, go through it again and shoot for 100%. Only then would I look at the answer key. This really helped refine my thought process and gave me a deeper understanding of the material (in a relatively short period of time, as well).

Would you have your answers from your 1st attempt next to you or remember what you answered? Thinking of doing this in the near future, maybe elaborate a little more please :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”