At this point in my prep, am I on the right track?

Betharl

At this point in my prep, am I on the right track?

Postby Betharl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:23 pm

So far, I have been through all the PS books, drilled games Pithypike style, and have done a little over 20 PTs. Questions missed per PT looks something like this: LG 0-1, LR 2-6 (total), RC 0-5, typically scoring in the low 170s. On average for LR, I would say parallel Q's account for 1-2 misses per PT, and time issues account for 0-2 misses, other misses are just dumb mistakes/misreading etc.

My plan from now until Feb is as follows: Wake up, do a LG section from an old test, take a short break, then take a 5 section PT with the extra section being a RC section I've already done (probably at least two weeks since I last looked at it). After that, I'd take a 1-2 hour break and come back and review the PT. When reviewing the PT, I will conduct an extremely careful analysis of missed LR questions or questions I was unsure about, and skim the rest. I probably won't look at LG very much when reviewing (shouldn’t need to) and I will look at RC questions missed and try to see why my answer was wrong/why the correct answer was right, but won't reread the passage or spend too much time on it as I will be redoing that passage in the future anyway.

I'd like to know what you think of this plan. Specifically, in regards to how I plan to review PTs and my decision not to do any LR drilling by question type (although I may drill parallel Q's at some point). I already know the techniques and do fairly well on LR in general, and I need to work on finishing faster, so I feel like the practice I get from doing PTs is better than what I would get from drilling.

In anticipation of some objections, I do not have a job/am not in school so burnout should hopefully not be a factor.

D'Angelo

Re: At this point in my prep, am I on the right track?

Postby D'Angelo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm

full tests are important as well!

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:48 pm

D'Angelo wrote:full tests are important as well!

That's what I mean. I will be doing basically back to back full tests (plus 1 LG section in the morning). Unless you were being sarcastic and mean I am placing too much emphasis on full tests, I can't tell.

Edit: By back to back I mean one each day, not more than one a day, if that was not clear.
Last edited by Betharl on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Errzii

Postby Errzii » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Your plan sounds fine. If you're already in the low 170s there's really not much else other than practice and dealing with nerves on test day. Good luck with your prep. On a semi-related note, are you taking the February LSAT? If so, any particular reason as to why? I really don't like February due to the test being undisclosed and I can't really see a good reason for taking it instead of June or October. Just my 2 cents.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:57 pm

One thing that I would suggest near the end of your prep is taking PTs in somewhere other than where you normally study. Taking the test in a room full of other test takers who will be coughing and sneezing and tapping their pencils can be nerve wracking sometimes and if your unprepared for that it can kill your score. I personally had the worst time concentrating outside of dead silence until I took a few tests at my schools library and practiced tuning out any background noise.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Errzii wrote:Your plan sounds fine. If you're already in the low 170s there's really not much else other than practice and dealing with nerves on test day. Good luck with your prep. On a semi-related note, are you taking the February LSAT? If so, any particular reason as to why? I really don't like February due to the test being undisclosed and I can't really see a good reason for taking it instead of June or October. Just my 2 cents.

Actually I am retaking in Feb. I also took the Dec test but before I was really ready just because I wanted a score that I could use for this cycle (also I thought it was possible I could get a good score, and I don't know, I may have, still waiting...) I basically kept prepping right through the Dec test with the idea that I would re-take in Feb no matter what as I don't have anything better to do.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”