June LSAT - Self Study or Tutor

User avatar
inthebeginning
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

June LSAT - Self Study or Tutor

Postby inthebeginning » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:25 pm

I couldn't find any recent discussion on the tutoring option so wanted to raise it. The consensus seems to be that if you tested 160+ diag, self-study may be the way to go instead of a class (provided you are motivated). I got 163 Diag, and am down to self study, but the best guidance I've found is the PithyPike posts. For more structure on a day to day basis, I saw LSATBlog weekly or daily schedules, but I don't like that so much of the material is on a website.

Can anyone offer advice on (1) other detailed solo studying plans, or (2) experiences they may have had with tutors.

Powerscore, Testmasters etc. offer tutors, but I wonder how helpful they are, and if the study schedule you work with is the same as the schedule for the classes? One of the options they offer is to book a tutor and then if you spend enough you get access to the online classes.

LSAT is so important that I'm willing to spend the bucks if it's worth it (I also work).

Alan
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: June LSAT - Self Study or Tutor

Postby Alan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:55 am

Let thyself be thy guide.

Impressive diagnostic. A class would likely not be worth it if you are already in the 60's. Master the concepts the best you can and get a legit tutor once you hit your final ceiling.

Classes are neither necessary or sufficient for scoring 170+ :P

User avatar
CactusPuppy
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:56 am

Re: June LSAT - Self Study or Tutor

Postby CactusPuppy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Alan wrote:Let thyself be thy guide.

Impressive diagnostic. A class would likely not be worth it if you are already in the 60's. Master the concepts the best you can and get a legit tutor once you hit your final ceiling.

Classes are neither necessary or sufficient for scoring 170+ :P


Exactly. My first practice test was almost 170 and so I decided to stick it out independently. Worked out fine.

I do not find the classes to be cost-effective and would not recommend them unless you are scoring poorly.

lfrawley1101
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: June LSAT - Self Study or Tutor

Postby lfrawley1101 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:59 pm

I tried using a kaplan tutor and hated it. They try to teach you one set method with various little tips and tricks but it really didn't help me get beyond what you are scoring now. I think the "cookie cutter" methods they used didn't really address the idividual problems and blocks I was having and I suspect that this would be a similar issue with any large company that has a set way of approaching the test. I tried self-studying after that, but it was still pretty difficult. It's like trying to learn math through a text book: you can grasp the simple stuff but it's really hard to fully understand the more complex concepts. You really need someone to break it down, show you how to do it, and provide you with various explinations and ways to think about it. When I tried another tutor, I avoided the mess of a big company with a set method. I went with a guy named Larkin. I believe he is in NYC but since I live in WV, he taught me over skype and it worked out very well. I ended up jumping 16 points and scoring at the 97th percentile. I think it worked so well because he tailored his style of teaching to fit my personal problems and individual learning style. His website is here: 180 Degrees LSAT Tutor . Hope this helps. PM me if you need/want any more information.
Last edited by lfrawley1101 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: June LSAT - Self Study or Tutor

Postby delusional » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:01 pm

lfrawley1101 wrote:I tried using a kaplan tutor and hated it. They try to teach you one set method with various little tips and tricks but it really didn't help me get beyond what you are scoring now. I think the "cookie cutter" methods they used didn't really address the idividual problems and blocks I was having and I suspect that this would be a similar issue with any large company that has a set way of approaching the test. I tried self-studying after that, but it was still pretty difficult. It's like trying to learn math through a text book: you can grasp the simple stuff but it's really hard to fully understand the more complex concepts. You really need someone to break it down, show you how to do it, and provide you with various explinations and ways to think about it. When I tried another tutor, I avoided the mess of a big company with a set method. I went with a guy named Larkin I believe he is in NYC but since I live in WV, he taught me over skype and it worked out very well. I ended up jumping 16 points and scoring at the 97th percentile. I think it worked so well because he tailored his style of teaching to fit my personal problems and individual learning style. His website is here: url=http://www.180degreeslsat.com]180 Degrees LSAT Tutor[/url] . Hope this helps. PM me if you need/want any more information. who now posts on TLS as lfrawley.

FTFY

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: June LSAT - Self Study or Tutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:52 am

delusional wrote:
lfrawley1101 wrote:I tried using a kaplan tutor and hated it. They try to teach you one set method with various little tips and tricks but it really didn't help me get beyond what you are scoring now. I think the "cookie cutter" methods they used didn't really address the idividual problems and blocks I was having and I suspect that this would be a similar issue with any large company that has a set way of approaching the test. I tried self-studying after that, but it was still pretty difficult. It's like trying to learn math through a text book: you can grasp the simple stuff but it's really hard to fully understand the more complex concepts. You really need someone to break it down, show you how to do it, and provide you with various explinations and ways to think about it. When I tried another tutor, I avoided the mess of a big company with a set method. I went with a guy named Larkin I believe he is in NYC but since I live in WV, he taught me over skype and it worked out very well. I ended up jumping 16 points and scoring at the 97th percentile. I think it worked so well because he tailored his style of teaching to fit my personal problems and individual learning style. His website is here: url=http://www.180degreeslsat.com]180 Degrees LSAT Tutor[/url] . Hope this helps. PM me if you need/want any more information. who now posts on TLS as NYCLSATTutor

FTFY


FTFY

Altho I'll grant, that does look like an ad by someone trying to self promote, but I didn't write that and I am not lfrawley1101. I don't know if mods care enough, but if they so desired they could check but her IP address which should be vastly different than mine (I believe she is still in WV, and I am in NYC).

Also: Hi lfrawley1101! Thanks for the shout out! Hope all is well.

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: June LSAT - Self Study or Tutor

Postby bouakedojo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:09 pm

inthebeginning wrote:I couldn't find any recent discussion on the tutoring option so wanted to raise it. The consensus seems to be that if you tested 160+ diag, self-study may be the way to go instead of a class (provided you are motivated). I got 163 Diag, and am down to self study, but the best guidance I've found is the PithyPike posts. For more structure on a day to day basis, I saw LSATBlog weekly or daily schedules, but I don't like that so much of the material is on a website.

Can anyone offer advice on (1) other detailed solo studying plans, or (2) experiences they may have had with tutors.

Powerscore, Testmasters etc. offer tutors, but I wonder how helpful they are, and if the study schedule you work with is the same as the schedule for the classes? One of the options they offer is to book a tutor and then if you spend enough you get access to the online classes.

LSAT is so important that I'm willing to spend the bucks if it's worth it (I also work).


Do as many practice tests as possible and for every question wrong, do a detailed analysis of why you picked the wrong answer to fix the wrinkles in your logical thinking.

If you're motivated, you'll do well, especially with a 163 diagnostic.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PantoroB and 8 guests