What to do before Class (June '12)

Hjones33

What to do before Class (June '12)

Postby Hjones33 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Hello people, I am retaking the LSAT and am wondering what you guys think I should do before my Testmasters class in April? I feel like I should study before hand, even though they (Testmasters) say not to (I personally feel, with no evidence, that they just say that so they can see a much bigger jump in scores from diagnostic so they can put you in there pamphlet).

I own the bibles set, and have read through the LR and LG and have skimmed the LR already for my previous test. Didn't do a whole lot of PTs though, and really need to work on my speed. Any help would be great! Would love to study now to supplement my Testmasters class in the future!

Alan

Re: What to do before Class (June '12)

Postby Alan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:33 am

IMHO, speed will come after you have mastered the concepts. With lr, it's about pattern recognition. With games, it's about understanding the different kinds (liniar, grouping, assignment, whatever) and then doing them until nothing surprises you. With rc, I would advise slowing down (3ish mins reading, 5 on the questions) so you won't have to refer back as often.

You should def prep before April lol. Do yourself a favor and buy Cambriges lg by type for tests 1-20 and make a few copy's of each and drill them until they are second nature BEFORE your class starts

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Hjones33 wrote:I feel like I should study before hand, even though they (Testmasters) say not to (I personally feel, with no evidence, that they just say that so they can see a much bigger jump in scores from diagnostic so they can put you in there pamphlet).

If that was true, I'd tell you to study beforehand so that their avg. score increase would go down incrementally and we'd look better over here at BP by comparison.

But I'm not going to do that.

Honestly, don't do this to yourself. If you have your TM materials, you can look over them. But if you learn a different method, you're going to be slightly confused when the two are at odds. You can supplement the class while taking it with other books so if you get confused, you have someone to ask. However, beforehand, if you learn any bad habits or methods that 'contradict' those you'll learn in class, you'll just end up more confused.

We like big score increases because we can market them, but we also like big score increases because we genuinely want our students to do well. If you prep beforehand and end up confused because of it, you'll see a smaller score increase than you might have otherwise. Then we're both screwed.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:32 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Hjones33 wrote:I feel like I should study before hand, even though they (Testmasters) say not to (I personally feel, with no evidence, that they just say that so they can see a much bigger jump in scores from diagnostic so they can put you in there pamphlet).

If that was true, I'd tell you to study beforehand so that their avg. score increase would go down incrementally and we'd look better over here at BP by comparison.

But I'm not going to do that.

Honestly, don't do this to yourself. If you have your TM materials, you can look over them. But if you learn a different method, you're going to be slightly confused when the two are at odds. You can supplement the class while taking it with other books so if you get confused, you have someone to ask. However, beforehand, if you learn any bad habits or methods that 'contradict' those you'll learn in class, you'll just end up more confused.

We like big score increases because we can market them, but we also like big score increases because we genuinely want our students to do well. If you prep beforehand and end up confused because of it, you'll see a smaller score increase than you might have otherwise. Then we're both screwed.

Thanks for the advice, some with other poster.

boiseman

Postby boiseman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:55 am

I’m in the same situation here...planning on taking LSAT June 2012 and registered for TM April class. A few things I have done (or in the process of doing).

- As mentioned, buying & reviewing previously administered tests seems fairly productive.

- I actually bought a used copy of the curriculum. It was so marked to hell I had a hard time making sense of anything. Unless you can get Test Masters to send your books to you early I wouldn’t waste the extra money.

- I also would recommend taking a formal logic class (if you haven’t taken one already). As I am not philosophy major, I found the class very informative and worth the time. If you don’t have the time or room for an elective, it would still be worth your time to give this book (or something similar) a tumble.

http://www.amazon.com/Concise-Introduct ... 885&sr=8-7

Hope this helps,

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:30 am

I took a Testmasters class for the June '11 exam. The class started in April, but I started studying in February using the Powerscore Bibles (Logic Games and Logical Reasoning). To be honest, Powerscore and Testmasters use virtually identical methods, so you're not going to be learning anything that conflicts with one another.

In fact, I think it was best that I did both. There are subtle areas where each company is a little better than the other. For example, Powerscore's "Some Train/Most Train" is amazing, whereas TestMasters uses this crappy Venn Diagram thing and then forces you to memorize "templates." On the other hand, TestMasters does a much better job of teaching assumption questions, especially the difference between sufficient and necessary assumptions.

Logical Reasoning takes a long time to master, and I think learning all the basics through the LR Bible first, and then relearning it all again through TestMasters was very beneficial for me. It reinforced several areas of my fundamentals that I had overlooked. A lot of people will read the Bibles, get up to the mid 160s, and then hit a plateau because they don't know what their weak spots are (they expect to see a perfect trend of missed questions of a certain type but don't). Taking the class refreshed every concept all over again and reminded me of things I was overlooking.

TLDR; I used Powerscore's LR and LG Bibles for two months, then took a TestMasters class, and it was awesome. Improved from a 155 diagnostic to a 174 on the June LSAT. (Disclaimer: I worked my ass off).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”