What the heck just happened? I'm in shock...

notaznguy

What the heck just happened? I'm in shock...

Postby notaznguy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:42 pm

During my 1st week of winter break, I took PT 46 and 48 and scored a 163 and 164. Today I decided to take PT 52, my first time taking a test with the comparative reading passages. I was worried about the RC as I had never done it before. In the end, that proved to be the least of my worries.

I scored a 155.

LR: -6
Experimental LG: -3 (section 4 from PT 47 - I've never taken it before).
LG: -10 (HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!)
LR: -10 (WTF?!?!)
RC: -8 (Fuck...I got most of the comparative passage right, but bombed the last passage)

I'm sorta having a mini panic. I didn't expect to do this terribly. I haven't reviewed yet but I'm seriously questioning my test taking abilities. I built up some self confidence when I hit the mid 160s. Now all of that confidence just got pulverized. God damn...and the February test is a little over a month away. Jeez...

thederangedwang

Re: What the heck just happened? I'm in shock...

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:46 pm

:roll:

AS33

Postby AS33 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Relax. Slumps happen. Go over what you did wrong and you'll be fine

stilles

Postby stilles » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Do not let one bad score get you down, it happens to everyone and is not indicative of your test taking abilities. The best thing to do now is be calm and stay confident. Review the test diligently and assess what you did wrong and what you will do next time to fix this. I remember having a similar dip in practice tests so again, don't stress out. If you need help with a certain question or want test taking strategies, I'm more than happy to help. PM me if so, and good luck! :)

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 pm

AS33 wrote:Relax. Slumps happen. Go over what you did wrong and you'll be fine

I know, but I thought slumps were usually only a few point differentials. A 155 and 163/164 is just...wow. The thing that freaks me out is that I got -3 on the experimental LG, which I took as section 2, but got -10 on the real LG, which was section 3. I'm currently looking back at the game I almost everything wrong and am wondering how the hell I chose my answers. Gah...

AS33

Postby AS33 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Trust me its completely normal! you're in great shape right now if you're taking the Feb test. Everyone has one or two really bad dips before they consistently start scoring in their desired range. It's part of the learning process, and also why practice tests are so important. You need to be able to handle pressure and have confidence for the real thing. I promise you'll be fine, you're already at a great pace with more than a month left

pizzabrosauce

Postby pizzabrosauce » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:12 pm

The LG's from the 40's are deceptively easy, you might not be as good as you think at LG

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:12 pm

AS33 wrote:Trust me its completely normal! you're in great shape right now if you're taking the Feb test. Everyone has one or two really bad dips before they consistently start scoring in their desired range. It's part of the learning process, and also why practice tests are so important. You need to be able to handle pressure and have confidence for the real thing. I promise you'll be fine, you're already at a great pace with more than a month left

Thanks. I guess I'm just really upset since I haven't scored in that range since the summer when I was taking a prep course. My scores had been progressing from the summer to the winter, going from 138, 142, 148, 151, 158, 159, 160, 163, 164, 155 (gah).

Again...just a huge drop. Especially when I searched other threads on TLS and most people had slumps of only 3-5 points.

AS33

Postby AS33 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:18 pm

notaznguy wrote:
AS33 wrote:Trust me its completely normal! you're in great shape right now if you're taking the Feb test. Everyone has one or two really bad dips before they consistently start scoring in their desired range. It's part of the learning process, and also why practice tests are so important. You need to be able to handle pressure and have confidence for the real thing. I promise you'll be fine, you're already at a great pace with more than a month left

Thanks. I guess I'm just really upset since I haven't scored in that range since the summer when I was taking a prep course. My scores had been progressing from the summer to the winter, going from 138, 142, 148, 151, 158, 159, 160, 163, 164, 155 (gah).

Again...just a huge drop. Especially when I searched other threads on TLS and most people had slumps of only 3-5 points.

My worst slump was from a 166 to a 154.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm

pizzabrosauce wrote:The LG's from the 40's are deceptively easy, you might not be as good as you think at LG

I thought about that too......but I am looking at the LG section right now and honestly the games weren't exactly Dino games. The first and last game were basic linear and sequencing games. I just reviewed the 2nd game right now and mannnnnnn.....I know now why I got the answers wrong, but I don't know what I was thinking when I was taking the actual test. The third test I remember taking the exam that I made a big mistake in that I forgot one of the fundamental rules. I don't know why I did forget it. I just did. I didn't make note of it in my diagram I guess. I actually realized my mistake during the section, but I didn't have enough time to redo the whole game.

But overall I don't think it was any more difficult than the experimental one...again, no super complex games or anything.

Edit:** Oh geez...just realized on Game 3 I made a fatal mistake. I diagrammed a rule as

G and P > T

when it should have been

G and O > T

Well...that's a bit comforting. No wonder I did so bad on games. I practically got the whole game wrong because of it.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:49 pm

notaznguy wrote:
pizzabrosauce wrote:The LG's from the 40's are deceptively easy, you might not be as good as you think at LG

I thought about that too......but I am looking at the LG section right now and honestly the games weren't exactly Dino games. The first and last game were basic linear and sequencing games. I just reviewed the 2nd game right now and mannnnnnn.....I know now why I got the answers wrong, but I don't know what I was thinking when I was taking the actual test. The third test I remember taking the exam that I made a big mistake in that I forgot one of the fundamental rules. I don't know why I did forget it. I just did. I didn't make note of it in my diagram I guess. I actually realized my mistake during the section, but I didn't have enough time to redo the whole game.

But overall I don't think it was any more difficult than the experimental one...again, no super complex games or anything.

Edit:** Oh geez...just realized on Game 3 I made a fatal mistake. I diagrammed a rule as

G and P > T

when it should have been

G and O > T

Well...that's a bit comforting. No wonder I did so bad on games. I practically got the whole game wrong because of it.

That happens sometimes. I did the same thing today. I'd just attribute it to a slight mistake. It happens.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:52 pm

thederangedwang wrote::roll:

Oh really. If you can't be nice, please just leave. Not everyone is so amazing and incredible that Harvard can be chalked up as no big deal.

For people just starting, this can be a real blow to self-confidence that doesn't require mocking.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Gail wrote:
thederangedwang wrote::roll:

Oh really. If you can't be nice, please just leave. Not everyone is so amazing and incredible that Harvard can be chalked up as no big deal.

For people just starting, this can be a real blow to self-confidence that doesn't require mocking.

you misunderstand the emphasis of my mocking. I meant that this was not an issue worthy of "freaking out" over....i regularly had 15pt swings during my pt's..and the fact that the op only had one swing on his/her third pt when the actual test day is more than a month away is well...dramatic and unwarranted posting by the op's part.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:14 pm

No worries. I had the same thing happen to me. Practice test 51-52ish changes the games on you, and they start to focus on different things than they have in the past. It's a new area you have to learn how to do. I noticed that the games started having less 'super inferences' that solved the whole thing and more ones that you simply had to brute force your way through and plug variables in. Do a few more and you'll get used to it.

LR also becomes MUCH more subtle. You have to actively read every word, and they purposefully try to mess you up. Rather than coming up with complex chains of questions like they did before, they now simply try to trick you.

RC also drops the niceties at this point. I've noticed that the material became a lot more dense and more difficult to understand around that level, and comparative RC sections are introduced soon. Have you studied those yet? The positive light reflection one in particular comes to mind as a difficult passage. You will also discover that LSAT has a fascination with honey-bees.

Do not question your test-taking abilities. Figure out what went wrong, how to attack it and fix it. You have prepared more than most of the populace who takes this test. It still blows my mind that there are people that are stupid enough to not study for this thing or only study for a week or two.

Think of the LSAT as a marathon. No runner wins by going into the race and saying 'oh god I'm going to lose because this section is so hard I'm awful at it!'. Practice a few of the new LSAT game sections until you get the hang of them, and then keep on chuggin'. :)

ExcelBaller

Postby ExcelBaller » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:52 pm

In Gunnery Sargeant Hartman voice: What are you gonna do about it maggot? Complain about it on tls all g ** D*****day or DRILL! DRILL!! DRILL!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”