Would doing a practice test everyday..

sammy416

Would doing a practice test everyday..

Postby sammy416 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Monday-Friday under timed conditions improve scores?

Davidbentley

Re: Would doing a practice test everyday..

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Probably. But, you would most likely reach the point of diminishing returns rather quickly. Cut down to one to two tests per week and focus on drilling to improve those areas that you are weak in. The tests serve as yardsticks to measure your progress. IMO

tng11

Postby tng11 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:31 pm

sammy416 wrote:Monday-Friday under timed conditions improve scores?

No, it will probably lead to a burnout.

Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Yes it would likely improve your score but I wouldn't recommend it until after you are close to a score that is acceptable to you. No sense in making the same
Mistakes over and over. Unless you have 5 free hours a day to devote to studying, I wouldn't advise it because you definitly need to review each test after you take it.

Oh and you don't want to be like me and burn through all the material way before test day. Now every test I take is a little skewed as far as accurately reflecting my ability because I've seen every question a few times...

jasonkramer

Postby jasonkramer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:23 am

if you have 4 free hours every day go for it.

i would say decided how many newer tests you want to take. then divide the total number of days until test day by the number of tests. i plan on taking the June test so i will be taking a test every 4 days. if you doing February then you may very well have to do one every day. that is if you plan on taking 30 tests.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 am

You'll make greater improvements by meticulously going over your mistakes than you will by simply taking more tests. It's all about digesting the material and really focusing on what you did right and wrong. Why are the right answers right? Why are the wrong answers wrong? What skill are they trying to test with this question? What distinction is critical to finding the correct answer?

You can take 5 practice tests and see 5 questions that all hinge on the exact same thing. They'll be worded differently but they're testing the same principal. If you aren't reviewing your mistakes you're likely to get all 5 questions wrong without learning a damn thing. It's better to take just 1 test and identify all your mistakes and try to correct them. The goal should be improvement from every practice test, not just accumulating a large volume of practice.

tepper

Postby tepper » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:51 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:You'll make greater improvements by meticulously going over your mistakes than you will by simply taking more tests. It's all about digesting the material and really focusing on what you did right and wrong. Why are the right answers right? Why are the wrong answers wrong? What skill are they trying to test with this question? What distinction is critical to finding the correct answer?

You can take 5 practice tests and see 5 questions that all hinge on the exact same thing. They'll be worded differently but they're testing the same principal. If you aren't reviewing your mistakes you're likely to get all 5 questions wrong without learning a damn thing. It's better to take just 1 test and identify all your mistakes and try to correct them. The goal should be improvement from every practice test, not just accumulating a large volume of practice.

I agree with this. Improving your score is about studying the mistakes you made carefully, it's NOT about taking PT after PT. When I was studying for the LSAT last year, I would take a PT under timed condition on day 1, and then spend the next two days going over that PT.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:51 pm

It depends how you learn... idk I never really bought the burnout thing, but I seem to be alone in this... but yea, review tests is key, so if you do this you'll have to be prepared to spend a lot of time on LSAT

ExcelBaller

Postby ExcelBaller » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Doing a pt everyday will lead to burnout and leave you with less material to drill. I would do two pts per week, study and drill your weak areas. I always started small (individual questions, then worked the whole section and worked up to the pts at then end of the week) doing it this way will also help you track your progress and effectiveness of your study habits

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:34 am

you don't want to burn out! there is usually little reason in doing more than 3 tests per week...

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:53 am

I was hoping the OP would be "make my penis larger?"

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:02 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:I was hoping the OP would be "make my penis larger?"

:shock: that would probably be a problem...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”