In desperate need of advice

Re: In deperate need of advice

Postby sunynp » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:37 am

Rorassy wrote:Any reason why you don't want to go to a law school that would take you with your scores, such as Cooley, CUNY, Touro or probably even NYLS? A JD from those schools plus passing the bar would allow you to work as a lawyer.

So I read the comments on the lawschoolisascam blog post. I guess rorassy was posting about Cooley because someone in the comments told him/ her to. So while this site was telling him not to go, the law school scam blog commenters were looking at OP as a "specimen" and suggesting Cooley.

Postby John1986 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks guys. I am not going to attend Cooley..that was never even a thought. I just said I had apps into schools in the NY area... I will take off a year and study with power score, pay off some debt and save some money. Thank you everybody for the comments.

Postby John1986 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:10 am

October 2011 test

11 10 17 17

After the break I am ok..I need to improve in everything but LG I have heard is the most learnable and the only reason I got a 10 in the first LR I feel was nerves. A 10 in LR1 and 17 in LR2..I just feel I can do better.

Postby CautionaryTale » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:40 pm

As an exercise, I think you should explain to yourself why you want to be an attorney. Tell yourself about your ideal day working for a client, and what the sweetest parts of being a lawyer are to you. It doesn't matter what you value - prestige, respect of one's clients and peers, money, control of your own schedule, whatever. It's your dream, so use it to find what really matters to you. Then - as an exercise - think of other ways to attain the things you value, beyond working as an attorney. Concentrate especially on the ones that don't involve taking on $100,000+ of non-dischargeable student loans, that will be with you for 20 years or more.

What we've learned in recent years is that virtually all schools lie about how many of their students find those first jobs which teach them how to practice law (almost none of them lie about how useful their actual instruction is in law practice, beyond learning how to read appellate cases in 1L). The convergence of the scambloggers into a transparency movement has also brought out dissatisfied graduates from the last 10-15 years who fell out of the legal marketplace after years working as attorneys, and have been unable to find a new niche therein. For every person listed as a working attorney by the BLS today, there are 2 other people who went to law school since 2000 who presumably *aren't* working as attorneys, and probably not because they won the lottery or inherited millions. The game is unforgiving, and you're competing with as many as 50,000 new players every year in the U.S. alone. More, if the kind of work you do doesn't involve making appearances in court.

Also, if you really want this, be advised that the employers have their choice of employees in this economy, and most firms will bother only with a very small percentage of a school's graduating class. If you go, and you aren't a 5%-er in 1L, your chances of being employed just went down a great deal (hard to know exactly with the extent to which law schools obfuscate employment outcomes, but anecdotally I assure you this is true), no matter what the economy is like. If you graduate with a law degree and can't find work as a lawyer, it becomes very hard to get any job beyond entry-level service jobs because employers assume that you will leave them at any moment for law jobs that don't really exist.

In sum, pay nothing like sticker price for any law degree, and be prepared to leave after a bad 1L rather than compound your unemployment with 2 more years of law school debt. I'm sorry I can't be more supportive, but I have too many unemployed/underemployed friends from good schools with good grades not to tell you the truth. The LSAT and your admissions profile are only a beginning, not the end.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”