In desperate need of advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: In deperate need of advice

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Rorassy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Rorassy wrote:Don't be a downer rinkrat. he'll be in the blue line. He's already working in a law office as it is, so there's no way he can do worse than that.
I'm curious as to why you're so bent on encouraging innocent people to throw away their money.
Don't be a downer. He has a job lined up after graduation and he wants to be a lawyer. All he has to do is pass the bar.
Where the hell are you getting that? He works in a firm as a legal assistant. That is no guarantee (or even a hint) of a job after graduation. He has a firmer grasp than you do on the fact that some schools have absolutely dismal employment chances.

If he had a GUARANTEED job after graduation, then I would be telling him to go to whatever school would cost him the least money. But he doesn't. He has a "connection," most of which never turn into jobs.

Rorassy

New

Post by Rorassy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:29 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Rorassy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Rorassy wrote:Don't be a downer rinkrat. he'll be in the blue line. He's already working in a law office as it is, so there's no way he can do worse than that.
I'm curious as to why you're so bent on encouraging innocent people to throw away their money.
Don't be a downer. He has a job lined up after graduation and he wants to be a lawyer. All he has to do is pass the bar.
Where the hell are you getting that? He works in a firm as a legal assistant. That is no guarantee (or even a hint) of a job after graduation. He has a firmer grasp than you do on the fact that some schools have absolutely dismal employment chances.

If he had a GUARANTEED job after graduation, then I would be telling him to go to whatever school would cost him the least money. But he doesn't. He has a "connection," most of which never turn into jobs.
We should get clarification on this.

1. Is he at least guaranteed to have his legal assistant job upon graduation?

2. Will his boss hire him as an attorney upon graduation?

3. If not, with his experience in real estate law, can he easily get a job from one of his boss's competitors?

The point is that he is not your average law school applicant. He has been working in the law for years, and probably knows a lot more than most law school grads.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Rorassy wrote:

3. If not, with his experience in real estate law, can he easily get a job from one of his boss's competitors?

The point is that he is not your average law school applicant. He has been working in the law for years, and probably knows a lot more than most law school grads.
You are a damn idiot. The answer to every single one of these questions is No.

Working a few years as a legal assistant doesn't guarantee or even help you get a job after graduation.

No way his boss hires him as an attorney.

Won't help with the competitors.

Also hurts his chances at going back into being an assistant once he has a JD and is overqualified for those jobs / a flight risk.

The lemmings are really out in force right now.

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm convinced that Rorassy is a troll, albeit a bad one.

Rorassy

New

Post by Rorassy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:37 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Rorassy wrote:

You are a damn idiot. The answer to every single one of these questions is No.

Working a few years as a legal assistant doesn't guarantee or even help you get a job after graduation.

No way his boss hires him as an attorney.

Won't help with the competitors.

Also hurts his chances at going back into being an assistant once he has a JD and is overqualified for those jobs / a flight risk.

The lemmings are really out in force right now.

Can we ask him, before we rely on your omnipotence?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Errzii wrote:I'm convinced that Rorassy is a troll, albeit a bad one.
Or possibly a Jah'Krahl (or however it was spelled) alt. He is/was also excellent at the Ostrich Optimism.

Rorassy wrote:Can we ask him, before we rely on your omnipotence?
I think you mean omniscience. And it's actually crowd-sourced wisdom. You are not smarter nor better informed than hundreds (if not thousands) of past applicants, students, graduates and lawyers.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:41 pm

I feel really bad reading this thread. When anonymous (and often dickish) people who are educated about the legal profession aren't even unified in telling this poor guy to do something else, can you imagine the social pressures he must be feeling IRL?

And he's not a total dumbass for doing this; it gets done all the time--entire (tiers of) law schools are filled via this one stupid decision. This industry either needs to be regulated (close down entirely unnecessary schools) or deregulated (quit handing out non-dischargeable loans); the status quo benefits only the schools themselves.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:44 pm

OP - as someone who has worked for law firms for a long time, don't take anything not in writing as a serious promise of post-law school employment. I saw dozens of junior paralegals get told at the big shop I worked for that if they "did well" they could come back as attorneys and, guess what, only the kids at Harvard, NYU and Columbia "did well" enough to come back. The firm knew prior to these kids departing what schools they were going to, but didn't want to be negative to their faces. Unless you are seriously in tight with a firm's management and ownership and it's the kind of small place where one guy can make that offer - even a verbal "oh sure, we'll hire you" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Rorassy

New

Post by Rorassy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Did he say he would be quitting this job to go to LS? I thought he said he would be working for the firm full time while going to school at night.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Rorassy wrote:Did he say he would be quitting this job to go to LS? I thought he said he would be working for the firm full time while going to school at night.
He never mentions working during school in this thread.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Rorassy wrote:Did he say he would be quitting this job to go to LS? I thought he said he would be working for the firm full time while going to school at night.
Nowhere did he say he would be keeping his job.

Anyway, a $35k/year job isn't worth keeping to kill yourself getting through law school. It's also completely inadequate for paying off law school loans, even IF he could get it back.

Rorassy

New

Post by Rorassy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Anyway, a $35k/year job isn't worth keeping to kill yourself getting through law school. It's also completely inadequate for paying off law school loans, even IF he could get it back.
Tons of people work full time and go to law school at night. Also, IBR. Don't be a downer.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Rorassy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Tons of people work full time and go to law school at night. Also, IBR.
"Part-time" law school is only one class less at a time than full-time. I thought about doing it (to keep my $55k/year job), but decided it wasn't worth it. You also miss out on all those pesky things like summer employment, which is when you get the jobs.

(non-PI) IBR is super, if you want to have your paychecks garnished basically forever and then get hit with a massive tax bomb at the end of forever. It should not be your primary plan. (The PI version is a much better idea.)
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rorassy

New

Post by Rorassy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Rorassy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Tons of people work full time and go to law school at night. Also, IBR.
"Part-time" law school is only one class less at a time than full-time. I thought about doing it (to keep my $55k/year job), but decided it wasn't worth it.

(non-PI) IBR is super, if you want to have your paychecks garnished basically forever and then get hit with a massive tax bomb at the end of forever. It should not be your primary plan.
You quit your $55k job to go all-in in the law school bet, when you could have kept it and gone at night? Now *that* was a really dumb decision.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Rorassy wrote:That was dumb, and lazy.
Yes, I could have spent four years working full-time, and then hauling ass across town to attend a school ranked in the 60s, studying on the weekends and having no life whatsoever while stressing myself to death. Or I could take out some loans and attend a great school with a good chance of getting me the job I really want, not just a job if I'm lucky.

There's a reason the really good schools don't even have part-time programs.

Rorassy

New

Post by Rorassy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Yes, I could have spend four years working full-time, and then hauling ass across town to attend a school ranked in the 60s, studying on the weekends and having no life whatsoever while stressing myself to death. Or I could take out some loans and attend a great school with a good chance of getting me the job I really want, not just a job if I'm lucky.

There's a reason the really good schools don't even have part-time programs.[/quote]

Good luck with that.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote: There's a reason the really good schools don't even have part-time programs.
GULC needs clarification on the above.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Rorassy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Yes, I could have spend four years working full-time, and then hauling ass across town to attend a school ranked in the 60s, studying on the weekends and having no life whatsoever while stressing myself to death. Or I could take out some loans and attend a great school with a good chance of getting me the job I really want, not just a job if I'm lucky.

Good luck with that.
Let's put it this way: a grad of the school I chose has a better shot at financial and professional success than a part-time student at the school I didn't choose. What part of that is unclear to you?

Rorassy

New

Post by Rorassy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Rorassy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Good luck with that.
Let's put it this way: a grad of the school I chose has a better shot at financial and professional success than a part-time student at the school I didn't choose. What part of that is unclear to you?
You didn't factor opportunity cost, loans and the short term nature of biglaw (*if* you get that) into your analysis. You made a big mistake quitting your job. Edit: You also forgot taxes.
Last edited by Rorassy on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote: There's a reason the really good schools don't even have part-time programs.
GULC needs clarification on the above.
Maybe I was just anti-GULC trolling? ;-)
Yes, GULC is the only T14 with a PT program.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Rorassy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Let's put it this way: a grad of the school I chose has a better shot at financial and professional success than a part-time student at the school I didn't choose. What part of that is unclear to you?
You didn't factor opportunity cost, loans and the short term nature of biglaw (*if* you get that) into your analysis. You made a big mistake quitting your job.
You're reading my mind now? Yes, actually, I did factor those in. I'm taking a calculated risk with my eyes wide open. But thanks for your obviously very sincere concern, jackass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rorassy

New

Post by Rorassy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Rorassy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Let's put it this way: a grad of the school I chose has a better shot at financial and professional success than a part-time student at the school I didn't choose. What part of that is unclear to you?
You didn't factor opportunity cost, loans and the short term nature of biglaw (*if* you get that) into your analysis. You made a big mistake quitting your job.
You're reading my mind now? Yes, actually, I did factor those in. I'm taking a calculated risk with my eyes wide open. But thanks for your obviously very sincere concern, jackass.
Can you please show us your formulae?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Rorassy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Rorassy wrote:
Can you please show us your formulae?
Someone who really thinks Touro is a good idea wouldn't be able to comprehend it. It has, like, multi-digit numbers and shit.

Rorassy

New

Post by Rorassy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Someone who really thinks Touro is a good idea wouldn't be able to comprehend it. It has, like, multi-digit numbers and shit.
Try us. Explain how going to Northwestern full sticker is economically better than going to a tier 2 on scholarship while making $55k/year (+ raises) and working. You messed up.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:26 pm

OP - you do need to deal with your anxiety before you take a retest. Don't worry about how you will study for the next test until your anxiety is under control.

It sounds like you already know that going to a bad school is a terrible (and, if you take on debt, probably life-destroying)idea. So don't do it.

You don't have to give up on your dream, just take each decision one step at a time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”