What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

hoya11
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby hoya11 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:13 pm

gaud wrote:148. ended up with 170 (after a couple retakes)


that's really impressive!! good luck to you

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:15 pm

hoya11 wrote:
gaud wrote:148. ended up with 170 (after a couple retakes)


that's really impressive!! good luck to you



thank you; good luck to you as well!!

User avatar
larsoner
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 am

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby larsoner » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:12 pm

In the 150s. I ended up with a 171. For me the big thing was to learn the patterns of the logic games. My scores on the long and short passages started pretty good and never really improved.

I'm graduating with a math major and I see analytical thinking as my big strength. I've always done well in reading/writing classes, but I think I've done it by capitalizing on my analytical advantage. So I found it weird that the logic puzzle section was my weak point. I guess it just goes to show that the LSAT has its weaknesses as a measure of ability.

rli66
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby rli66 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Like a 163 I believe. Got a 170.
Last edited by rli66 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FratLaw
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby FratLaw » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:32 pm

151

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:40 pm

Mine was a 169 after reading a couple of books and doing a bunch of practice problems for a few weeks.

Why the blazes would you take a practice test without prepping? Just to depress yourself and make you think you don't have a shot?

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:23 pm

ben4847 wrote:Mine was a 169 after reading a couple of books and doing a bunch of practice problems for a few weeks.

Why the blazes would you take a practice test without prepping? Just to depress yourself and make you think you don't have a shot?


To figure out how much work you actually need to put in, and where your weak spots are. Why prep first if you don't actually know how much prep you need?

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:28 pm

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby snehpets » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm

VasaVasori wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:To figure out how much work you actually need to put in, and where your weak spots are. Why prep first if you don't actually know how much prep you need?


I may not have fully finished my preparation to see where I am, but this justification doesn't make much sense to me. As can be seen in this thread, with the wide variety of beginning scores and the wide variety of final scores, your initial score really doesn't tell you too much about your potential. And may not tell you much about how much you need to prep, either, because if you have no basic understanding of how the problems work then it will, in all likelihood, be difficult to do well, but when you gain at least some basic understanding of problem types your score and ability can drastically improve without much time.

It makes sense to me to do some sort of minimal amount of preparation, that you would do no matter what you got on a diagnostic - for example, reading the powerscore bibles - then taking a diagnostic to see where you're at and what else you need to do. At that point, you have an understanding of the test, and can get a realistic perspective on where you're at, where you can go, and what you need to do to get there.

Thoughts?


I tend to agree with AtL. First of all, I really liked seeing my score go up from my initial diagnostic. More importantly, however, I would've wasted my time prepping reading comp, reading a book about reading comp, etc., because I did pretty well on that from the beginning (and then got totally destroyed it for the first time in months on test day. there was this freaking section about ships...). If I was doing a basic prep for every section, I imagine I would've included reading comp, which wouldn't have been necessary. I liked doing it cold and then seeing what I really needed to work on. I can see both sides though. I guess it's whatever you feel will make you happiest/motivate you to work most.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:42 pm

VasaVasori wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
ben4847 wrote:Mine was a 169 after reading a couple of books and doing a bunch of practice problems for a few weeks.

Why the blazes would you take a practice test without prepping? Just to depress yourself and make you think you don't have a shot?


To figure out how much work you actually need to put in, and where your weak spots are. Why prep first if you don't actually know how much prep you need?


I may not have fully finished my preparation to see where I am, but this justification doesn't make much sense to me. As can be seen in this thread, with the wide variety of beginning scores and the wide variety of final scores, your initial score really doesn't tell you too much about your potential. And may not tell you much about how much you need to prep, either, because if you have no basic understanding of how the problems work then it will, in all likelihood, be difficult to do well, but when you gain at least some basic understanding of problem types your score and ability can drastically improve without much time (whereas, for other problem types, and for different people, a simple overview may not be enough).

It makes sense to me to do some sort of minimal amount of preparation, that you would do no matter what you got on a diagnostic - for example, reading the powerscore bibles - then taking a diagnostic to see where you're at and what else you need to do. At that point, you have an understanding of the test, and can get a realistic perspective on where you're at, where you can go, and what you need to do to get there.

Thoughts?


I mean, after assessing my diagnostic, I didn't bother to buy or read the PowerScore bibles, and just bought a bunch of preptests to practice with. I was a little weak in logic games, so I made sure to just do a lot of logic games from exams (without doing the other sections), and then did 20 full tests to get used to timing, etc. I have no idea what I would have done before taking my diagnostic since my actual prep was just...taking full exams and doing extra logic games.

I disagree that one should read the bibles no matter what you got on the diagnostic.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:44 pm

eh. I think the whole idea of doing a raw diagnostic, comes from the test prep companies, who want you to bomb one so that they can advertise how much they made you improve.

User avatar
larsoner
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 am

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby larsoner » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:56 pm

I wouldn't know how to prep if I hadn't taken a practice test first. Generic advice from practice books covers everything and doesn't narrow in on your problems. I think I would have wasted a lot of time if I had tried to prep before my first test. I'm really good at short passage reading but not so good at logic games. I'm great at logic games when they aren't timed and I'm better at them when I don't do 4 in a row. If I hadn't taken a test first, with the time limits and the fatigue factor, I wouldn't have known what my particular issues would be and I might have wasted my time studying short passage reading, which was the first section in my review book, instead of logic games. So what I'm saying is, for me at least the best generic practice is to just do the whole test in a timed setting. Practice books are best used when you know what you need to focus on.

That being said, you should, of course, read the instructions, know the scoring system, etc. before your first practice test. The idea is to approximate real test conditions so you shouldn't lower your score by wasting time reading instructions. Also, if you didn't figure out how to take standardized tests when you took the SAT, go ahead and read about answer elimination and so forth. These things are kind of pre-prep.

PDXNative
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby PDXNative » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:19 pm

167 cold, 177 after ~2 months self-study

User avatar
anemonesque
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:01 am

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby anemonesque » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:25 pm

162 cold and timed LSAT virgin --> 177 real thing (retook an earlier bomb), with a ptest high of 180 a couple times.

Took the first one without any prep because I wanted to get a feel for the test and a baseline score. I thought that way I could see improvement more, which motivates me. I learn better by doing instead of reading strategies, though I did use powerscore books. Testing cold let me narrow down my weaknesses and allowed me to skip things in prep that I knew I didn't need--e.g. I needed to improve logic game speed because accuracy was fine but I didn't get to the last game, but I didn't need to learn a bunch of things about how to read a passage.

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby jetissent » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:17 pm

156 with 0 prep to 174 on test day a month later. I just took a practice test every day for +20 days in a row with two tests on Saturdays. It really helped to overcome the endurance hurtle.

User avatar
Shaggy
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby Shaggy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:20 pm

151 timed! Good luck.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby Helicio » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:17 pm

jetissent wrote:156 with 0 prep to 174 on test day a month later. I just took a practice test every day for +20 days in a row with two tests on Saturdays. It really helped to overcome the endurance hurtle.


All of that in one month...damn. THAT is impressive.

KingsBench
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:21 am

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby KingsBench » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 am

I just finished my cold diagnostic - 151 on the free one provided by LSAC, timed conditions with no previous prep (other than scouting TLS). Got hammered on Logic Games and Logical Reasoning - I guess that's what the LGB and LRB are for right? And I kind of burnt out at the end with Reading Comp, didn't realize how much concentration taking the LSAT required - I was exhausted after 4 sections. I guess it's good to know that I'll definitely need to be working on endurance, among other things, for future PTs.

I'm super super encouraged by the fact that people jump from the 150s (or even lower) on their diagnostics to 170+, which is my goal. Definitely gives me hope that some serious studying from now until the June LSAT will put me in decent shape. Thanks everyone for the advice and best of luck to all those who are in the midst of prepping for the real thing!

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby kapachino » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:33 am

151.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby ben4847 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 am

KingsBench wrote:I just finished my cold diagnostic - 151 on the free one provided by LSAC, timed conditions with no previous prep (other than scouting TLS). Got hammered on Logic Games and Logical Reasoning - I guess that's what the LGB and LRB are for right? And I kind of burnt out at the end with Reading Comp, didn't realize how much concentration taking the LSAT required - I was exhausted after 4 sections. I guess it's good to know that I'll definitely need to be working on endurance, among other things, for future PTs.

I'm super super encouraged by the fact that people jump from the 150s (or even lower) on their diagnostics to 170+, which is my goal. Definitely gives me hope that some serious studying from now until the June LSAT will put me in decent shape. Thanks everyone for the advice and best of luck to all those who are in the midst of prepping for the real thing!


Dude: don't sweat it yet. Doing logic games without knowing how, is kind of like getting in a car to drive for the first time, and trying to figure out which gear is which, and which handle puts it in gear, and who even said cars have gears.

sishu7
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby sishu7 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:17 pm

174 on a cold practice test. I decided not to prep. As soon as those December scores come out, we'll see whether that was a wise decision.

PurpleMustang
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby PurpleMustang » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:09 pm

162, timed.

justinp
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 am

Re: What was your score first ever diagnostic, without prepping

Postby justinp » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 pm

168 cold last June. 176 on the October test.

Lots of work in between.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dontsaywhatyoumean, galeatus and 2 guests