My LSAT Dilemma (Please help!) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bagold

New

My LSAT Dilemma (Please help!)

Post by bagold » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Hey guys,

So here's my deal: I'll be applying for law schools during the Fall 2012 cycle and have yet to take the LSAT. I won't be able to take the LSAT over the summer because I will be abroad. My pre-law advisor has suggested taking it in October and then applying shortly after. However, several of the schools I'm interested in have advised applying as soon as possible after admissions open. For most schools this is between September 1 and mid October. My options are...

1. Take the LSAT this February (in 5 weeks) and sign up for a course and begin prep immediately.

2. Take LSAT in October after prepping/taking a course over the duration of the summer.

Obviously, Option 2 leaves me significantly more time to prepare. However, I'm worried that by taking it for the first time in October I won't be giving myself the best chance to be admitted because I'll be applying late. What do you guys think? Is 5 weeks (with no other responsibilities I should add) too short a time to adequately prepare? Should I give it a shot in February and take it again in October if I'm not satisfied?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Ben

pdeturk

Bronze

Re: My LSAT Dilemma (Please help!)

Post by pdeturk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:32 pm

bagold wrote:Hey guys,

So here's my deal: I'll be applying for law schools during the Fall 2012 cycle and have yet to take the LSAT. I won't be able to take the LSAT over the summer because I will be abroad. My pre-law advisor has suggested taking it in October and then applying shortly after. However, several of the schools I'm interested in have advised applying as soon as possible after admissions open. For most schools this is between September 1 and mid October. My options are...

1. Take the LSAT this February (in 5 weeks) and sign up for a course and begin prep immediately.

2. Take LSAT in October after prepping/taking a course over the duration of the summer.

Obviously, Option 2 leaves me significantly more time to prepare. However, I'm worried that by taking it for the first time in October I won't be giving myself the best chance to be admitted because I'll be applying late. What do you guys think? Is 5 weeks (with no other responsibilities I should add) too short a time to adequately prepare? Should I give it a shot in February and take it again in October if I'm not satisfied?

Ben

Was in a similar position this year (5 weeks out from October or wait a cycle). I tried to prep fast for October and it was a huge mistake. I now have an LSAT on my file I am not happy with and will most likely sit out the cycle now anyway.

Do not rush to take the LSAT. Wait until you are ready

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:35 pm

5 weeks probably isn't enough time to be ready for February. Take October but just make sure you have everything else in your app ready. LORs, PS, transcripts etc all submitted to LSAC as early as possible. If you submit your apps the day October scores released you won't be at a significant disadvantage.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:38 pm

bagold wrote:Hey guys,

Ben
LSATs are administered internationally. Would you want to take advantage of that and do it in June?

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Well, have you looked at anything LSAT related yet? It would be important to know what your starting point is in order to decide whether or not 5 weeks will be enough time to study. If the topics on the LSAT come easily to you, and you have a lot of time to dedicate to studying/practicing in the next 5 weeks, it could be worth a shot.

If it seems like the LSAT is more difficult for you and you think you need more time to study, don't rush it. First of all, you can look into the international administrations (I don't know anything about that). Secondly, if you do wait until October, that is fine too. Just take my advice and prepare your personal statement, resume, letters of recommendation, etc. before you take the October LSAT. If you are ready to submit as soon as October scores come in, you will still be considered very early.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bagold

New

Post by bagold » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 pm

[quote="danitt"
LSATs are administered internationally. Would you want to take advantage of that and do it in June?[/quote]

I've thought of that, but I'll be coming off a packed semester of college and then going on vacation for three weeks. I don't think I'll have enough time in there to prepare. Also, I'll be backpacking so I'm not even sure which country I'll be in come test date.

If applying in early November won't hurt me, I think that may be the best option. I'm not too familiar with the LSATs but based on my SATs I doubt I'm one of those that will get a 170+ with little prep.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Have you taken a practice exam yet? I would take one right away so at least you know how much work you have to do.

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:50 pm

bagold wrote: I've thought of that, but I'll be coming off a packed semester of college and then going on vacation for three weeks. I don't think I'll have enough time in there to prepare. Also, I'll be backpacking so I'm not even sure which country I'll be in come test date.

If applying in early November won't hurt me, I think that may be the best option. I'm not too familiar with the LSATs but based on my SATs I doubt I'm one of those that will get a 170+ with little prep.
Well it looks like you just answered your own question. Take the test in October after spending plenty of time prepping.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:15 pm

bee wrote:
caminante wrote:
bagold wrote: I've thought of that, but I'll be coming off a packed semester of college and then going on vacation for three weeks. I don't think I'll have enough time in there to prepare. Also, I'll be backpacking so I'm not even sure which country I'll be in come test date.

Well it looks like you just answered your own question. Take the test in October after spending plenty of time prepping.
This.
+1 If you have everything else in your apps ready to go on Halloween (or thereabouts) when October scores come out, your apps are still quite early. Anything before Thanksgiving is still ok.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”